How do I quit this job graciously?

purplesoccer34

For 6 months, I've been working part-time at a doctor's office. At first, I thought the work was kind of fun, but now I almost dread going to work everyday because I don't enjoy it whatsoever. One of my bosses (the one I work with most frequently), although a nice person, is somewhat difficult for me to work with as well.

I have another part-time job along with this one, and this job I truly enjoy. They are talking about hiring me full-time, and that would make me happier than anything else. This job also pays more than the other one.

Many of my coworkers in the doctor's office are really nice, including the owners of the company who hired me, so I almost feel bad for leaving. But I know I can't handle the job anymore. What is the right thing for me to say when approaching my boss about this situation? Also would the fact that I left a job after just 6 months look bad on my resume when applying for future jobs? Can I still use my bosses as references for the future even though I worked with them for less than a year?

Wait until you get a full-time offer from the other job. Then you can give notice easily and with a valid reason and should also be able to use the doctor's office as a reference.

• Like 3

The smart thing to do would be to wait until you are offered F/T employment by the other company so your income doesn't change.

Even if you want out now, the gracious way to quit is universal. You give at least two weeks notice in writing. You write out

Dear Boss: (use the person's name.)

Although I have enjoyed working here, it's time for me to move on.

Kindly accept this as my letter of resignation. Friday [date] will be my last day.

Thank you for the opportunities you have given me.

Sincerely,

purplesoccer34

After you hand the letter to your boss, ask if it would be OK to use him as a reference. You also ask what you can do to transistion your work to your replacement.

If you quit a P/T job after 6 months to get a F/T job it will be fine. If you quit with no job a future employer may see that as a negative.

If you're young and live with your parents, quit and don't look back.

If you're older and need the money, apply for a new position elsewhere and quit once you're hired.

Just tell your boss that you've found a new position that's more suited to you and your lifestyle.

Most people really don't care too much about gaps on your resume unless they are usually long and no real reason.

I've had soo many jobs I cater my resume to suit the job.

• Like 1

I can understand your situation greatly since until recently I worked 2 jobs. My second job was temp to hire with full time potential. Unfortunately, the client decided after a few weeks that he wanted more "technical" experience. Really a bummer, because it would have been a great career opportunity, but employers just don't want to train anymore. Anyways, my first job, which is permanent isn't becoming full time anytime soon, so if the second job did work out and turned into full time, I would have given my other bosses proper notice and explain that I got a full time offer, which better suits my needs at this time. Then thank them for the opportunity for having worked there. You're under no obligation to them as they aren't to you. I understand how you feel though about job hopping. Which is why I prefer to find another second job so I'm not leaving my employer after a couple months. But if your second job offers full time, I'm sure most potential employers will understand that. It can be hectic and even costly commuting to two jobs.

Edited by pink_sugar