Boss offering me title I had four years ago

Okay here's my predicament. I have worked for this doctor for 5 1/2 years now. Four years ago, I was promoted to his office manager. There were 2 docs at the time. About a year later, the practice split up. I stayed with the one doctor. It was just him and I...that's really all he could afford. So he brought his wife onboard. I knew of her, but didn't know her well at all. She had been a stay at home mother to their children and paid NO concern to the previous partnership/practice.

So they offer me a position as a Billing Manager in the office (my pay stayed the same). She takes over position as Business Manager. I felt like all of the work that I had done in the previous years was handed to her on a silver platter. I had to teach her EVERYTHING. She knew nothing about working in a doctor's office. As a matter of fact, she still comes to me for questions to be answered (3 years later). But again, my pay stayed the same so I was thinking to myself, less work, less title, *same pay*...who cares.

Sooo, I get my review. I've been here for 3 years and with the doctor for 5 1/2. He gives me a heads up prior to the review that I'd be working to be Office Manager, that it was kind of in the making. At first I was kinda happy. But the more I think about it, it seems like a slap in the face. Like, oh gee, thanks for giving me my title back. I can't help but to be upset.

I don't supervise the entire office. I only manage the billing department. We have several staff now. His wife is still the business manager.

I get paid extremely well. I have unbelievable benefits. But I felt like I've let it go for so long, why would I want this now? Is this a slap in the face? I want this title but I don't know how bad I want it in this office. Please give me your input. What should I do? Am I being unrealistic?

Doctors are known for notoriously bad management, and this is just one more example. Yes, his offer is rather ridiculous, and I myself would be quite offended. It's clear that your role and title there - and his wife's role and title - have little to do with skills or achievement. That's a terrible lesson for him to give his staff. But it is quite common in the small medical practice world.

I don't see how there could ever be a level playing field when the boss' wife is involved. Think about it - if she had job skills, she could be working anywhere. Instead, she's working at a place where she can sleep her way to the top right in her own home!!!!

Either you 1) accept it philosophically - and push for more $$$ - or 2) seek another setting where you have some chance of advancing on your own merits. I actually would try for option #1 - the boss probably knows deep down how important you are, and might be willing to increase your pay to keep you, even while his wife gets the big title. If I were you, I would imagine a raise that would be thrilling - then DOUBLE it, and ask for that. He SHOULD have to pay a premium because he doesn't manage well. It's only right.

Good luck!

• Author

Thanks for the input Sole...glad to see I'm not a complete moron for thinking this isn't kosher. 'Preciate it.

hey Tiki........I guess sometimes it does pay to *sleep with the boss* eh? dang girl, you making good money now, that title would just increase the responsibilities not to mention still training the BM? Yeah, I'd make sure that the *title* comes with a nice fat raise too.........

hang in there........

Lemme see if I get this straight. You're paid extremely well. You have unbelievable benefits. The Dr. you work for likes you and I don't see any indication that you don't like him. BUT you're upset about your title?? Sorry, but I gotta disagree on this one. When professional businesses such as medical or legal split-up, hierarchies often become meaningless because there is not a critical mass of employees and people do what's necessary to keep the business afloat. Unless you have a gripe about your pay or your workload or the "business manager" is causing you grief but your qualifications, not your title, are what's important to prospective employers. IMHO

• Author

So you'd feel lucky that you were offered the same position as four years ago? THAT'S what my beef was about. Not the dissolution of the practice.

tiki, I do understand. My point is that you are, technically, with a new "company." I work in the High Tech industry, and a Vice President in a small company becomes a Product Manager in a larger company. Pay stays the same, but duties change drastically. You said "so I was thinking to myself, less work, less title, *same pay*...who cares."

Now, he wants you to take on more work and responsibilities in a role in which you have prior experience. You shouldn't feel slighted as he clearly has high regard for you. In my opinion, your decision should be based on:

1. Your career objective

2. How much you enjoy your job and the people you work with

3. Are you paid fairly

23. Your title.