My co-worker is an idiot, and I despise him.

Now I work security for a large government institution as a contractor, and the job pretty much requires making sure people don't break in, vandalize, and to monitor the systems in case they go haywire.

Not much usually happens, so most of us bring in laptops and use the unlimited wifi from a hotspot in the building. Officially, we're not supposed to but unofficially no one cares that we do as it affects nothing and we'd be staring at walls for hours on end. I say this to preface the "You're not doing work 100% of the time, bad employee!" comments that usually result on the internet if you admit you're not always working. If you want to post something of that nature, please refrain.

Anyway, one co-worker is an idiot who is a war vet and the most obnoxious person I've ever met and the worst co-worker and employee likely of all time. He just doesn't do anything he should and routinely violates rules while the boss does nothing to reprimand him.

Well, today I find out the hotspot is "broken" as if someone dropped it. So I go check it out, and the LCD screen is literally cracked. This is a huge problem since officially we're not even supposed to use it, and now it's broken.

I go into the CCTV system and scan through to find when it may have happened. Lo and behold the co worker I mentioned has a hissy fit, and picks the thing up and slams it down so hard it clearly breaks. Now I'm faced with a dilemma, as all our jobs could be in jeopardy if our employer finds out about this. As of now, I could tell my direct supervisor but chances are he'll do nothing anyway.

The internet is one of the only thing that keeps me from boredom at work (not to mention allows me to take online classes at times) sadly, and the fact that this idiot just basically ruined it for once once this is found out, enrages me to no end.

So this is a rant, had to get it out somehow!

Feel better?

Lets hope you'll take your adult attitude that carries responsibility and be forth coming with your boss. A broken item should be reported.

On a professional note, the system used by govt for internet access is monitored. You may want to think twice about how much time is being utilized. All traffic is monitored.

we each have snafu's and it sounds like this co-worker had a "moment". Perhaps you can advise him to come with you when you report this aparatus malfunction? This way you can both share your stories.

Be easy on co workers, you each have jobs to tend to.

• Author
Feel better?

Lets hope you'll take your adult attitude that carries responsibility and be forth coming with your boss. A broken item should be reported.

On a professional note, the system used by govt for internet access is monitored. You may want to think twice about how much time is being utilized. All traffic is monitored.

we each have snafu's and it sounds like this co-worker had a "moment". Perhaps you can advise him to come with you when you report this aparatus malfunction? This way you can both share your stories.

Be easy on co workers, you each have jobs to tend to.

This could be monitored, but it isn't. The hard wired lines are though.

This co-worker doesn't just have moments, I didn't even go into the litany of complaints I could make. He drinks on the job, sleeps on the job, shows up late, doesn't show up at all, etc. My boss will do nothing if it's reported to him, sadly.

Well sounds like you got the guy pegged. I'm sure as the saying goes, what you think about him is none of his business.

How did the boss respond on the broken item?

• Author

He still has no idea as far as I know, because he's oblivious and a terrible supervisor. That being said I also won't be back until Friday so I'm not sure.