laid off of temp job prematurely

pink_sugar

So I work two jobs and my second is in the afternoon. I've only been there a few weeks and on Friday, my boss was gone and I couldn't access his account to get our email campaign out on time. I called several times and sent him messages. Never got back to me before the end of my shift. So today, the temp agency calls because she got an email of termination from my boss. She asked if anything happened and I told her about Friday. She said even she has a hard time reaching my boss. She said she would talk to him and hopefully it's a miscommunication. I did all I could to reach him because I couldn't access his account.

UpwardForward

It seems that for one reason or another, the decision was made before Friday, or before you tried to access his account.

• Author
pink_sugar
It seems that for one reason or another, the decision was made before Friday, or before you tried to access his account.

I could access all his other accounts. The decision was sudden, that's why the agency called me and asked if something happened

All he has to do is tell the agency for me not to come in and I wouldn't have been there Friday.

Awww pink I'm sorry! I remember this all to well from temping and it always sucked. Hopefully the agency is able to smooth things over and you can resume the gig. Otherwise be happy you have another job and hope the agency finds you something else quickly.

• Like 4
  • Author

Well, I just heard back from the agency and it just so happens my boss decided he needed someone with more technical experience and that he'd be happy to provide a good reference for me. That's nice to hear since a lot of jobs never give you any clue as to why you were let go.

• Like 5

Yeah, apparently he needed someone with the ability to hack his account since he isn't professional enough to be an active member in the necessary activities of the workplace.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author
pink_sugar

UPDATE

So the temp agency had lined up an interview for another possible assignment. Went to the interview...the guy was saying what a perfect fit I would be and even made a comment that he would like to hire me on the spot. After the interview, he reiterated to the staffing agency how he thinks I would be a perfect fit and had nothing but positive things to say about me. He had to get back to the staffing agency after a few days once he talked to accounting and the owners. Well, I finally find out from the temp agency that they decided not to move forward. She was confused as well considering this guy made it so clear to both of us how he wanted to hire me. She is going to get further feedback on the details...maybe they closed the position. I could have accepted this better had the guy not practically told me I was hired in the interview. I feel so discouraged.:(

Edited by pink_sugar

Employers have long ago turned into that flaky first date. Trying to figure it out is pointless.

• Like 1
UPDATE

So the temp agency had lined up an interview for another possible assignment. Went to the interview...the guy was saying what a perfect fit I would be and even made a comment that he would like to hire me on the spot. After the interview, he reiterated to the staffing agency how he thinks I would be a perfect fit and had nothing but positive things to say about me. He had to get back to the staffing agency after a few days once he talked to accounting and the owners. Well, I finally find out from the temp agency that they decided not to move forward. She was confused as well considering this guy made it so clear to both of us how he wanted to hire me. She is going to get further feedback on the details...maybe they closed the position. I could have accepted this better had the guy not practically told me I was hired in the interview. I feel so discouraged.:(

I'm really sorry to hear that you had to feel the brunt of a wishy-washy hiring process. I hope things really do work out for you and that it didn't bring you a lot of trouble for the interview. On the other hand, perhaps you dodged a bullet from having to deal with the two-faced boss!

All the best!

• Like 1
Well, I just heard back from the agency and it just so happens my boss decided he needed someone with more technical experience and that he'd be happy to provide a good reference for me. That's nice to hear since a lot of jobs never give you any clue as to why you were let go.

I once worked at a temp agency about 5 years ago. The gig last 3 months. Then out of the blue, they said, "Okay, Shaun, that's it, come back for your last check. Reapply next year if you're interested. Good luck." That's just how it is at these places. They live by their name.

• Like 1
  • Author
I once worked at a temp agency about 5 years ago. The gig last 3 months. Then out of the blue, they said, "Okay, Shaun, that's it, come back for your last check. Reapply next year if you're interested. Good luck." That's just how it is at these places. They live by their name.

That's exactly why I'm not leaving a permanent job for something contract or temp to hire.

While I was reading your post, everything was all right, not perfect but alright. But when I see that the decision was sudden then I was shocked. I believe that we are not in that age anymore to do such thing suddenly, hope you don't mind at all.

• Author
While I was reading your post, everything was all right, not perfect but alright. But when I see that the decision was sudden then I was shocked. I believe that we are not in that age anymore to do such thing suddenly, hope you don't mind at all.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.