My math professor always dresses casually?

I have this young pretty lady as my math professor and I notices she always dresses casually (like in jeans and stuff) yet all my other professors always dress formally , it is kind of weird. She seems more like a student than teacher now. Why do you think she would do this while pretty much no one else here does? Like all the male teachers math teachers I see dress in suits and ties and stuff the other two female teachers dress in that female suit looking thing. She also says we can call her by her first name.

I hear she is in probation, since she is a very good teacher who is great at explaining things, this casualness she has probably has something to do with it

I am just curious why you would choose to dress casually, when other professors are not

. It is somewhat interesting. Is it a generational thing? A rebellious thing? Does she want to feel more like "one of the students" instead of an authority figure?

Your profs always wear suits and ties? How odd. Here casual dress is common in academia, as is the use of first names. One of the male Profs I know even shows up in the office in bermudas and flip flops. You can see all the hair on his legs... :laugh: Is your Prof from a different locale, by any chance?

At any rate, if she's not being reprimanded by HR, then I don't see what the problem is. How does her choice of dress affect you?

• Like 3
  • Author
Your profs always wear suits and ties? How odd. Here casual dress is common in academia, as is the use of first names. One of the male Profs I know even shows up in the office in bermudas and flip flops. You can see all the hair on his legs... :laugh: Is your Prof from a different locale, by any chance?

At any rate, if she's not being reprimanded by HR, then I don't see what the problem is. How does her choice of dress affect you?

it is out of curiosity because the other profs always dress formally (like with the type of dress attire you would expect in a work environment) while she dresses like it is Casual Friday all the time

Probably what she is use to. Remember if she is new, she probably hasn't been at that university before, very likely another one that had a much more casual dress attire among the professors. I have never seen any professor at my school wear a suit, it's the norm to be causal

Lernaean_Hydra

I have this young pretty lady as my math professor and I notices she always dresses casually (like in jeans and stuff) yet all my other professors always dress formally , it is kind of weird. She seems more like a student than teacher now. Why do you think she would do this while pretty much no one else here does? Like all the male teachers math teachers I see dress in suits and ties and stuff the other two female teachers dress in that female suit looking thing. She also says we can call her by her first name.

I hear she is in probation, since she is a very good teacher who is great at explaining things, this casualness she has probably has something to do with it [.....]

I had a psych professor who was an adjunct (from a MUCH better, and private university actually) who dressed causally, asked us to refer to her as "Danielle" as opposed to Dr. *Smith and was honestly one of the best professors I have ever had. I recently found out she'll be teaching an advanced class I need for fall semester and I jumped at the chance to enroll and have her again.

She's very pretty and quite youthful looking (though she's probably only in her mid-late 30s anyway tbh) and she's petite so she looks like one of the students most times but I doubt she's trying to play this up. As far as why someone would choose to do this? Well being a professor doesn't necessarily mean sweater-vests or "sensible skirt suits" for all eternity.

Some profs like to dress in what is most comfortable for them so they can move freely and better teach. My mom is an off site professor at USC and dresses in casual or "business casual" most times. She's in her early 50s. She does do so not to "fit in" or some such, but because it's how she's most comfortable. Formal office-wear is not always the most forgiving, breathable attire. And if you're a professor who isn't merely an endless lecturer, who never really moves away from the podium, etc, more formal clothes can be restrictive and cumbersome.

Frankly it makes little difference what they're wearing, they could be dressed in pajamas for all I cared. If they're a good instructor, it makes zero difference. Besides, I'm not in college for a fashion show.

• Like 2

My last professorship, I was ten pounds more than I wanted to weigh. Dressed professional, longer skirts, and nice knit tops or blouse with sweater. One summer, I took on a high protien diet and dropped 30 pounds just like that.

I had the usual pinned-up brown bun transformed into a red asymmetrical short and darn cute hairstyle, and put together a whole new wardrobe at different TJ Maxx stores. I was unrecognizable the the Fall semester when I arrived. My favorite was a turquoise Jones of New York Suit with a cropped short jacket (showing off my tiny wasteline), with a silver lame blouse, and silver hose. A beautiful large interesting pin, in also turquoise crystals. The Interior Design professor dragged me around the department, and also advertised that others needed to "check me out in the copyroom."

Of course, people were surprised. To me - it was fun to dress up, but I felt like myself inside. I caught my image in the large window panes walking into the building one day - and I could see that there was a HUGE transformation - so big that I really had no grasp. I really had become very attractive, neat and stylish. That image I was sporting a short skirt and high heels, and oh did that red hair stand out!

Soon, I began to notice some people in my department (mostly women) were being very chilly to me. And I finially put 2 plus 2 together. The information came to me that the department was about evenly split about my new look. Many in the department just came in wearing shorts, and a t-shirt or worn out stuff, tennis shoes, or even the same outfit or suit day in day out. Who would think dressing up could work against you? I got a lot of retaliation for many years until it became unbearable at that University. My performance evaluations were stellar despite this.

When there are no rules, there are rules. And universities facility can apply subjective criterion, such as "envy" towards you, without actually stating so. That is a big drag. They liked me the way they hired me - with my brown hair in a bun - and a bit plump. Once school teacher image changed, my professional life got sort of complicated and misable, no matter how outstanding my work was. That's that. Yas

I had the usual pinned-up brown bun transformed into a red asymmetrical short and darn cute hairstyle, and put together a whole new wardrobe at different TJ Maxx stores. I was unrecognizable the the Fall semester when I arrived. My favorite was a turquoise Jones of New York Suit with a cropped short jacket (showing off my tiny wasteline), with a silver lame blouse, and silver hose. A beautiful large interesting pin, in also turquoise crystals. The Interior Design professor dragged me around the department, and also advertised that others needed to "check me out in the copyroom."

Of course, people were surprised. To me - it was fun to dress up, but I felt like myself inside. I caught my image in the large window panes walking into the building one day - and I could see that there was a HUGE transformation - so big that I really had no grasp. I really had become very attractive, neat and stylish. That image I was sporting a short skirt and high heels, and oh did that red hair stand out!

Uhhhhh... okay. I really doubt that the reason you were getting some of those responses was because of 'envy'. First off, a short skirt, high heels, and silver hose is just really, really odd on a professor. Ditto with huge 'interesting' crystal pin. I don't even know how that would pass muster in most universities. Secondly, the vibe of your post grates on me, so if this is how you came across IRL after 'losing the 30 pounds', I can see why you'd receive different responses.

I am all for appraising people based on their work and not their dress, but it puzzles me that you can't see why people might have considered your dress inappropriate. Especially if the work culture was tee and jeans. Chances are, if you'd dressed up but actually wore sensible work attire - suit with mid-length skirt, black hose instead of silver, sensible pumps, and no large interesting turquoise crystal pin! - you wouldn't have encountered this problem. Seriously, save the pin and silver hose and short skirt for your dinner occasion.

• Like 1
Uhhhhh... okay. I really doubt that the reason you were getting some of those responses was because of 'envy'. First off, a short skirt, high heels, and silver hose is just really, really odd on a professor. Ditto with huge 'interesting' crystal pin. I don't even know how that would pass muster in most universities. Secondly, the vibe of your post grates on me, so if this is how you came across IRL after 'losing the 30 pounds', I can see why you'd receive different responses.

I am all for appraising people based on their work and not their dress, but it puzzles me that you can't see why people might have considered your dress inappropriate. Especially if the work culture was tee and jeans. Chances are, if you'd dressed up but actually wore sensible work attire - suit with mid-length skirt, black hose instead of silver, sensible pumps, and no large interesting turquoise crystal pin! - you wouldn't have encountered this problem. Seriously, save the pin and silver hose and short skirt for your dinner occasion.

Your advice is well received. The Jones Turquoice suit was mid calf, but well fitted a-line, the solve hose had a heavy black grid pattern thru them (not at all shimmery - they were tasteful, and just peeped out. My style was to always where a fun pin with my suits.

Also - it was an art department. My mom said I looked like a page out of Vogue. I was very popular overseas - but I can see where that style is too flashy - and I described my flashiest debet outfit to you.

I had several stylish black suits - below the knee. I wore colorful hose with them (lime green, salmon), and again - a large signature pin, some crafted by the artists in the department. Big, colorful and bold.

T-shirt and jeans never have been my style anyway. The department looked very sloppy and unprofessional. I had to go into the public schools to supervise student teachers - I didn't feel right wearing khakies. The kids loved me, the students loved, and the school personal looked forward to my visits. I was invited to participate in many extra-curracular events at the Schools I supervised at (which I could add to my service evaluation). So really, it was some folks in the faculty that had an issue with me dressing to the nines for work.

What would you call it? I decide to enjoy my new figure, and dress up in a fine suit, or a shorter skirt (just slightly to the knee) for work? What is the problem? I'm an artist, I wear a colorful hand made signature pins, even some purchased from our own students and faculty? Wha's up with?

It is fun to transform and feel good about your body. It adds to your confidence and self esteem. But others, that cannot pull off a makeover (they have kids or other responsibilities - whatever), why is it an issue? What is this issue called? I felt envy from one woman. She said to me, "Why do you have to look so damn young?" And that was research day where I had some pants and a cut-off sweatshirt on.

My little department hired a slightly overweight frump with a bun. And my appearance changed, while my work product excelled beyond expectation. What do call hon? If not envy, or jealousy? I suppose "rocking the boat," and bring a little life and color to a dull department. Like another poster said, if Im doing a great job, who cares what Im wearing? Students are there for knowledge. Obviously, it hurt me. You are right. It could have been toned down. I'd been better off politally wearing a T-Shirt and khaki shorts. (But I didnt grasp that then). Agreed. Y