Time for yearly evaluation!

been employeed for 11 years at the same job, same position, with more duties poured upon me each year. Overall its a good paying job with flexibility to some extent. I primarily am an over achiever given most tasks. I've learned to stop that to some extent though (sometimes its a form of control that needs delegated to other team members).

Each year though about a week before my evaluation a co worker sets me up for utter angst. which in turn places me on the defensive at the eval meeting. She wll deliberately rattle my chains. She is that wolf in sheeps clothing. So this year (this week) she did her darndest to set me up again, and I politely handled my Statement in a professional manner. She went up the chain and it fell upon me to abide by her insane request. I only responded that I would discuss it with my boss for further decision. His flaw is he hates confrontation and will side with whoever is in front of him...so really he is of no support. So tomorrow ( 2 days before my eval), I have to meet with him. I have decided that I will no longer do crazy to meet this ladies insane request. So if they want this lame task done, find someone else. If I sound rebellious its not, its asserting my priorties and that of the overall company tasks needing accomplished. This particlar task is her red herring that sends people kissing her back side. I am tired of pretending that she is anything other then looney, and if this company wants to feed the crazy so be it, I cannot. So basically I already know what I am up against and I need a new way to stand up for my already over tasked position. There are no raises or incentives for doing your job other then you do get a paycheck each week. So any suggestions on how to persist in a positive way on this eval knowing they have short attention spans and will only site the negatives of this most recent debacle.?

How can you be on the offensive, apriori, in the most positive and congenial fashion possible with a smile? That is one solution.

Here is another. Think outside the box. Something that would bring pleasure and perhaps more personal feelings of challenge and acomplishment to your current positioning. How would You define that?

I don't think it is this petty situation that is really the issue - she and the evaluative period are just are just punching bags, IMHO).

Why not pour this anger into what "could be" if you were to make attempts to set a new goal, configure a plan, (either at that job or another, and make it happen? You sound so down, like you do not enjoy your work environment, nor respect the upper management. Do you get me? What cha think? Yas

Edited by Yasuandio
  • Author

Thank you! Wonderful ideas to ponder and set into motion.

I already do far more then necessary and have felt the exhaustion (physically) from Over- achieving and still maintaining yet more tasks. While I consider it enhancing, it comes with zero rewards at the end of the day. Just another minion to get things done.

It is indeed the "petty" stuff that upper management loves to gnaw at and use as a "reason" to not increase raises or encourage the staff. They enjoy suppressing the team members.

Your are right though, I do treat "titles" with the same respect given.

Again , thanks for the ideas!

• Author

***update****

My in house Boss went on Holiday, so lo and behold two alternate boss's showed up to do the evaluation. Lets just say they started off on the wrong foot and it ended with them giving the yearly, sorry no raise for you! response. Funny thing is ,each time they slammed an allegation for creating these less then kind ascertainments of my job skills, I had available proof positive of the tasks and performances. As much as I sincerely wanted to relish in those achievements, it brought much sorrow to see two humans work soo hard to conjure up false statements that would go into my work file. I declined signing it and made it clear that when my IN HOUSE boss returns, I shall take up the matter with him. He is a chameleon though and will agree with whoever is talking at the time. So I doubt there will be any real resolution. He tends to show his true loyalty to Management by remaining silent when inaccurate statements are made. As the saying goes Silence implies consent. My In House Boss is 1/3 owner so He does have the authority to redo the eval and then discuss alternate ways to work thru some of the supposed concerns. He'll be back next week. I know he wont take kindly to them doing the eval without him at least being there.

• Like 1
Funny thing is ,each time they slammed an allegation for creating these less then kind ascertainments of my job skills, I had available proof positive of the tasks and performances. As much as I sincerely wanted to relish in those achievements, it brought much sorrow to see two humans work soo hard to conjure up false statements that would go into my work file.

Bravo for you!

And I hope you are starting to look for another job...

• Author

thank you Carrie.

No new job in the making at this point. Certainly will keep my eyes pealed though when there is an opportunity!