I finally got a job offer but feeling unsure

NYC-BigKat

I know I should be very very happy & I kinda am in a way but the job has a lot of stuff to it that doesn't sound so great :o. Okay so I went on interview & the lady liked me & stuff. She said I was very sweet but hopefully not too sensitive & stuff. Then she told me the starting pay which sounded good & the orientation date which is in 2 weeks. She also asked if I have a driving license & I told her no :(. But she said that's okay I'll just be stationed at the base for a while until I can get it. I don't feel so good about that part u know. Then she says I'm gonna do rotating work shifts & the hours be very long sometimes like 8am-7pm. That's a bunch of hours! I never worked so much hours before :eek:. I didn't know what to do from there so I just okay & tried to smile & she asked me if I was feeling okay & I said yea but she was looking at me kinda worried but then told me to have a good weekend & to report for a drug screening on Tuesday. Um...I'm sorta happy about finally getting a job again but it feels like its gonna be hard work. Should I just do it & hope its not so so bad or hold out for something else or try to do some excuses to avoid those really long hours? My mom says most jobs now are long hours & to just do it anyway. Is she right about this? Or are they just taking advantage of me?

UpwardForward

Check in and do the job. See how it works for you. It doesn't have to be forever if it doesn't work out for you.

If it is only short lived, it can also be a learning experience toward other endeavors.

Or it can lead to other things. Consider it one step at a time.

pink_sugar

That depends. What profession are you in? Larger companies can often require overtime. Are you on salary or hourly? Hourly is preferred when a lot of overtime is involved. Most of my jobs have required minimal overtime since I work in an office setting.

• Author
NYC-BigKat
That depends. What profession are you in? Larger companies can often require overtime. Are you on salary or hourly? Hourly is preferred when a lot of overtime is involved. Most of my jobs have required minimal overtime since I work in an office setting.

I'm on hourly & I work in finance. The last job I had was also hourly but the job before that was salary & I did work 10 straight days at one point :eek:. I guess I could just do maybe 6 months to cover up some of the gaps in my resume & look for something else in the meantime. Don't u think working 11 hours a day is a little too much for me?

I know I should be very very happy & I kinda am in a way but the job has a lot of stuff to it that doesn't sound so great :o. Okay so I went on interview & the lady liked me & stuff. She said I was very sweet but hopefully not too sensitive & stuff. Then she told me the starting pay which sounded good & the orientation date which is in 2 weeks. She also asked if I have a driving license & I told her no :(. But she said that's okay I'll just be stationed at the base for a while until I can get it. I don't feel so good about that part u know. Then she says I'm gonna do rotating work shifts & the hours be very long sometimes like 8am-7pm. That's a bunch of hours! I never worked so much hours before :eek:. I didn't know what to do from there so I just okay & tried to smile & she asked me if I was feeling okay & I said yea but she was looking at me kinda worried but then told me to have a good weekend & to report for a drug screening on Tuesday. Um...I'm sorta happy about finally getting a job again but it feels like its gonna be hard work. Should I just do it & hope its not so so bad or hold out for something else or try to do some excuses to avoid those really long hours? My mom says most jobs now are long hours & to just do it anyway. Is she right about this? Or are they just taking advantage of me?

If you're going to be a baby about working extra hours, then forget the job and stay unemployed. I'm sure your mother is growing tired of you, which is why she suggested you to suck it up!

For your interviewer to accept you for the position without a driver's license means you're getting a major break and you really need to consider that in the long run because the next employer may instantly reject you.

• Like 2

What type of job is it?

And why are you being a wuss about not wanting to work hard? Most people WANT to work and will put in extra effort to succeed and thrive - not something "easy."

• Like 1
What type of job is it?

And why are you being a wuss about not wanting to work hard? Most people WANT to work and will put in extra effort to succeed and thrive - not something "easy."

He says finance. I don't know anything about that field, but one thing's for certain: if it pays well, it won't be easy.

stillafool

You sound young. Get ready most people have to work hard to achieve in life. Strap on your boots and get ready!:)

• Like 1
  • Author
NYC-BigKat
What type of job is it?

Its a finance job & I'm gonna be stuck at the base 'cause I don't drive & I'm trying not to be wussy about it u know. I just never worked so many hours in a day so I know its gonna be so hard to do for me. I thought jobs was 8 hours the most? I did one time do 10 straight days of work & it was hell & I hated that job a lot & was fired eventually but I wouldn't wanna go back to a job like that again :(. I just hope whoevers my boss now wont force me to do all those hours or start yelling at me when I cant.

Why can't you do all those hours? I regularly work 11h a day. Sometimes I work 15h/16h. It's tough, yeah, but you can do it. Specially if you're gonna be sat at a desk!

Take the job. See how it goes. You can always keep looking for something else, but it's always better to have a job!

Those are typical hours in some professions. Be happy you are paid hourly and will get overtime!

It's typical, and expected, in my line of work to work about 50 hrs/week with no overtime pay. Been doing that for a decade and a half now.

jellybean89

Instead of being upset, why not be positive until you see how things go?

I agree - you sound like you want to be paid well for working little....you should be striving to make as much money as you can so you can have a good, solid financial future.

Did she say every day was 8 am to 7 pm? Or will that be how some days are? Think of the OVERTIME associated with that!

Most people that I know, myself included, work 10 hours days. Many of us are salaried so we do not get overtime or additional compensation.

Being a grown up is hard -- there are days when I wish I was 5 again and my biggest concern was who I would play with at recess.

Think positive - YOU HAVE A JOB! YOU will be earning money! You will meet new people!

Is it 5 11 hour days or 4 11 hour days? Well on the positive side just consider the OT will be time and a half. You could save up and keep looking. Jobs are more interested in people who already have jobs.

• Author
NYC-BigKat
Why can't you do all those hours? I regularly work 11h a day. Sometimes I work 15h/16h. It's tough, yeah, but you can do it. Specially if you're gonna be sat at a desk!

Take the job. See how it goes. You can always keep looking for something else, but it's always better to have a job!

Ok I'm gonna do it but I'm not so happy about it u know :o. Its not fun to be working so many hours a lot. I used to only work 6-8 hours before & I'm just not used to all those hours at a time. I don't know how some people can do all those hours & not feel upset about it. It doesn't seem normal.

If you don't give the specific job title, it's hard to help you.

I can only guess this might be investment banking, audit or something involving travelling between sites and clients.

• Author
NYC-BigKat
If you don't give the specific job title, it's hard to help you.

I can only guess this might be investment banking, audit or something involving travelling between sites and clients.

I already said its finance. If I had a driving license they would make me go to other sites but I gotta stay at one site 'cause I don't drive. Um...sitting in one spot for all those hours is gonna be rough u know :(.

I already said its finance. If I had a driving license they would make me go to other sites but I gotta stay at one site 'cause I don't drive. Um...sitting in one spot for all those hours is gonna be rough u know :(.

I know you said it's finance. It's an industry. Not a position. Each position has different roles and responsibilities, which vary including the use of a car. Are you a financial analyst of a firm that has different sites? There are many things to consider. How big is the firm? What do they expect of you? Would this fall under flex hours? I know this because I have and continue working in finance.

Finance is also very cutthroat, or at least with what I've worked with. I find the driver's license is odd, unless it requires you to commute which is also unusual because most finance jobs (in my mind) don't require driving. Hell, the whole financial districts in most major cities are designed to only require a short walk or public transit away.

I'm still not clear with whether you'll be on your feet or not, and those hours seem excessive. I can only guess what you do at this point, and I'm sorry but I can't empathize without that piece of information.

• Author
NYC-BigKat
I know you said it's finance. It's an industry. Not a position. Each position has different roles and responsibilities, which vary including the use of a car. Are you a financial analyst of a firm that has different sites? There are many things to consider. How big is the firm? What do they expect of you? Would this fall under flex hours? I know this because I have and continue working in finance.

Finance is also very cutthroat, or at least with what I've worked with. I find the driver's license is odd, unless it requires you to commute which is also unusual because most finance jobs (in my mind) don't require driving. Hell, the whole financial districts in most major cities are designed to only require a short walk or public transit away.

I'm still not clear with whether you'll be on your feet or not, and those hours seem excessive. I can only guess what you do at this point, and I'm sorry but I can't empathize without that piece of information.

I'm doing some kind of entry level consulting. Its actually supposed to be a team of us, um...around 5 or 6. On my last job since I didn't drive I had to do phone conferences & I was messing up on it a lot & my old boss always yelled at me :(. He was so so mean I had to get my uncle involved. I did do a similar job last year after that one but was told to resign 'cause of some odd behavior or something I don't know :o. I worked at several of these & I still stay at entry level 'cause I haven't gotten anywhere yet u know. But I feel weird now 'cause this lady at the interview says there's gonna be lots of long hours at times & I just don't know why.

I'm doing some kind of entry level consulting. Its actually supposed to be a team of us, um...around 5 or 6. On my last job since I didn't drive I had to do phone conferences & I was messing up on it a lot & my old boss always yelled at me :(. He was so so mean I had to get my uncle involved. I did do a similar job last year after that one but was told to resign 'cause of some odd behavior or something I don't know :o. I worked at several of these & I still stay at entry level 'cause I haven't gotten anywhere yet u know. But I feel weird now 'cause this lady at the interview says there's gonna be lots of long hours at times & I just don't know why.

Congrats on a consulting job. These tend to be pretty competitive. Since it seems that you've committed to taking the job, it would be wise (in the future) to ask about why these hours and what your job responsibilities are during the interview or even prior to the interview like during networking sessions. I would be curious with whether this has to do with your clients, especially if they tend to have international offices and thus different time zones can be an issue. Again, this is something you need or needed to talk to you employer or someone knowledgeable with the firm that you work at about. What is your role in the team? Have you met the team? Perhaps this is something you might pick up on your own, and how you don't seem like you had no idea to the rest of the group.

It's best to familiarize yourself with the firm while figuring out what you are expected to do, and how you can go beyond these expectations. Unless you have another job waiting in line, you should stick with this job for some time, perhaps within the probationary period.

First jobs are always like that, and one has to just roll with the punches. My first jobs had such a steep learning curve, I spent a lot of time out of work trying to study and prep to make sure I was on the ball the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, hopefully your future boss won't be 'so so mean' and cause those nasty little feelings to swell up in your cute bosom.

Afterall, your uncle might have something he needs to do, other than rushing in to save you.

todreaminblue

i think you should really listen to the niggles.......

sensitivity, long hours in a new job, isolation due to transport don't mix,congratulations on being accepted doesnt mean you have to go......

something better suited to you may come along....i dont feel and excitement from you i feel a bit of pressure

that the interviewer looked worried and you saw that tells a lot.......carefully consider your options......as another poster said research...the interviewer sounds a bit empathic to you and i have a feeling you are sensitive....she said hopefully you aren't ...consider this she i shoping you are not sensitive.....and is concerned about you (worried)...not good omens for a new job............i dont know the job do you know everything about the job.......list the pros and cons........if you feel any amount of excitement with fear then thats a better sign...i wish you all the luck and may the job you decide on be exactly right for you........deb.......

sensitivity, long hours in a new job, isolation due to transport don't mix,congratulations on being accepted doesnt mean you have to go......

something better suited to you may come along....i dont feel and excitement from you i feel a bit of pressure

that the interviewer looked worried and you saw that tells a lot.......carefully consider your options......as another poster said research...the interviewer sounds a bit empathic to you and i have a feeling you are sensitive....she said hopefully you aren't ...consider this she i shoping you are not sensitive.....and is concerned about you (worried)...not good omens for a new job............i dont know the job do you know everything about the job.......list the pros and cons........if you feel any amount of excitement with fear then thats a better sign...i wish you all the luck and may the job you decide on be exactly right for you........deb.......

The OP isn't in position to be turning jobs down until he really becomes established. I work for myself right now. Been doing it for almost 2 years. I worked hard to get to that point because I hate working for people. I'm a loner in a sense and enjoy working alone. I know there are jobs where you can work alone but in my field it has to be independent. I think the OP is very lucky to have this opportunity and he should really prove himself to them as well as to himself that he work this job successfully and don't be a baby about things not going as smoothly as hoped. Money is money and it should be appreciated no matter the cost.

• Like 1
  • Author
NYC-BigKat

Um...I'm a little sensitive 'cause I've been picked on at work a lot :o. I'm a good guy but 'cause I'm really really easygoing some people don't like that about me so they do things to try to upset me u know. My old bosses were all mean to me especially the one from last year where I had to call on my uncle to back him down it was so so bad for me there. My last job was like 6 months ago so I feel out of the loop. I just want things to be better now for me when I start working again. I don't wanna get picked on anymore 'cause I don't drive or some other stuff.