Hate to say this but co worker STINKS

Gosh this is insane thing to witness.

Got few new people in and one of them a lady does not smell but stinks like no more or less like freaking poop.

Like she rolls in it or something It fell to me to be her mentor of sorts and I had to hold my breath the whole time.

Am frantically thinking how to avoid being near her but thats not gonna be possible at least for next few weeks.

Am 100 % sure other people have noticed it to but they all are being

politically correct so that's not help.

But I don't even know how to go to HR or someone and say something like that.

HELP : Any experiences tips anything ?

• Author

Our HR is like buss station people come in and go all the time.

Plus I fear if I do she will know its someone from our area since she just started working.

I don't wanna judge assume or make anyone feel bad

but :( ...

I had a coworker tell me once that she was allergic to perfume or whatever it was I wore, so could I either: a) not wear it anymore or b) put on less. she won, because i did wear too much body spray at the time and it was likely bothering others, so i was ok with hearing it. we've been best friends now for 9 years. most people are ok if you mention stuff like this in a very polite way. you could always 'pretend' it's perfume she is wearing and let her know you are allergic to whatever perfume scent she has on (even though she isn't wearing one), and that'll at least let her in on the fact that *something* about her smell is bothersome

• Like 4
lollipopspot

I think you have to just bite the bullet and tell her, or tell HR. It's doing her a HUGE favor, even though it may be uncomfortable. Sometimes people do hate the messenger, but that's not your fault and someone ought best to do it.

Art_Critic

You can't exactly go up to her and say 'you smell like ass'.

I might let HR handle this one, unless you feel it is a perfume issue..

Body odors like poop are more about hygiene and you are going to be shoveling sand against the tide on getting someone to change that, you will only hurt their feelings and cause a rift between you both and the problem won't get fixed.

As long as HR will keep it anonymous who complained I would go that route... if you do feel a geniue friendship with this person rather than a coworker relationship you could mention something along the lines of maybe your deodorant isn't working and you didn't notice but only if you are on a friendship level with them

• Like 2
lollipopspot
You can't exactly go up to her and say 'you smell like ass'.

I think you can, but with more sensitive and caring wording, and adding that you are sensitive to smells.

• Author

No we are not friends although I worked hard as hell to pretend not to notice it.

But its summer so you can imagine how well that went.

Issue is how do you say that to HR how do you even start ?

Art_Critic
I think you can, but with more sensitive and caring wording, and adding that you are sensitive to smells.

If she hasn't smelled it yet then the OP will have to be more descriptive as I'd bet she would say 'what is it you smell ?' and the only answer then would be poop.. which will insult her... IMO...

Who wants to hear they smell like poop and need to clean themselves better ?..

oh.. and I do agree that my statement wouldn't show sensitivity... but it is HR's deal not an employees to have to worry about wording.

lollipopspot
If she hasn't smelled it yet then the OP will have to be more descriptive as I'd bet she would say 'what is it you smell ?' and the only answer then would be poop.. which will insult her... IMO...

Who wants to hear they smell like poop and need to clean themselves better ?..

oh.. and I do agree that my statement wouldn't show sensitivity... but it is HR's deal not an employees to have to worry about wording.

Discretion would probably dictate that instead of "poop" you refer to general "body odors" and not be quite as descriptive. If pressed you can say, "musty" or whatever.

I agree HR is better. For whatever reason OP seems confused about going to HR.

OP - I don't know why you wouldn't just be honest with HR and see if they will handle it. I'm not sure what the issue is in approaching them. Just tell them what you said here.

lollipopspot

"This is a really awkward problem but I'm wondering if HR can help me out here.

I'm supposed to be mentoring my co-worker X, but her body odor is offensive. It's really bad, especially in the summer.

Is there some way that someone in HR can have a discussion with her about bathing more? I don't know what to do about this but I'm finding it really difficult to perform my job of mentoring her with this problem, and I assume that other workers (and customers?) are noticing it too."

Then let them handle it.

I'm not sure that it wouldn't be better coming from you, frankly, but if you can't screw up the courage, then go to HR.

She may have a medical issue that is causing this, that people should know about if that is the case.

• Like 1
  • Author

I ran quick look see on line and yeah there are few med conditions that can cause this issue ( that makes whole thing extra sensitive )

I seem to make this more and more complicated but damn it is complicated thing.

How do you work with someone that makes you wanna vomit!!!!

then go and say that to them or HR you know what I mean ?

But I'll have to do it I can't take whole summer of that I CAN'T

pink_sugar

I've had this experience and luckily others noticed this as well...you just need to find a way to discreetly tell a manager about it. I noticed this one guys hygiene improve after being talked to by HR.

Report the woman to her boss. Let her boss take care of this issue. We deal with issues such as yours all the time.

Eternal Sunshine

I would not do anything but bear it. If she has a medical issue and can't help it, then it's really going to make her feel like s... if people tell her that. Even if HR/boss talked to her without mentioning you, it would still hurt her. When I have a choice of putting up with some unpleasantness and hurting someone's feelings, I chose "some unpleasantenes". Try to put yourself in her shoes, especially if it's something that she can't help.

• Like 4

They may be unaware of the `smell` Start a conversation about bathroom routines. `I was a bit late today so i only had 3 minutes for a quick shower.`

Or place a can of Lynx on their desk before they arrive.

• Author
I would not do anything but bear it. If she has a medical issue and can't help it, then it's really going to make her feel like s... if people tell her that. Even if HR/boss talked to her without mentioning you, it would still hurt her. When I have a choice of putting up with some unpleasantness and hurting someone's feelings, I chose "some unpleasantenes". Try to put yourself in her shoes, especially if it's something that she can't help.

This is just what am afraid of.

She did go trough some talks with HR boss and so on they could have not been

ignorant to it they had to feel it smell it.

Eddie Edirol
This is just what am afraid of.

She did go trough some talks with HR boss and so on they could have not been ignorant to it they had to feel it smell it.

Who cares if it makes her feel like shyt. YOU still have to work there and whatever the problem is could be a serious health issue for you and everyone else. This is considered a hostile work environment. This alters the work ethic. If she feels like crap about it, she already knows she has an issue and probably was an issue with her previous jobs, its up to her to work on it. Bottom line is the rest of the staff still has to be able to stay healthy to work, and if there is a danger in the air you breathe, something has to be done about it. You have to right to a healthy work environment. But HR or the managers will never know about it until YOU TELL THEM.

• Author
Who cares if it makes her feel like shyt. YOU still have to work there and whatever the problem is could be a serious health issue for you and everyone else. This is considered a hostile work environment. This alters the work ethic. If she feels like crap about it, she already knows she has an issue and probably was an issue with her previous jobs, its up to her to work on it. Bottom line is the rest of the staff still has to be able to stay healthy to work, and if there is a danger in the air you breathe, something has to be done about it. You have to right to a healthy work environment. But HR or the managers will never know about it until YOU TELL THEM.

She had the orientation and damn interview with HR !!!

Sorry am shouting that's the part am lost at nothing wrong with their noses.

:confused:

angel.eyes

If it truly smells like she rolled around in poop, she may be incontinent and suffering from a medical condition. Not wiping yourself or not showering generally just gives one a funky/musty body odor. It's illegal to discriminate in the hiring process (or in other employee matters) for medical conditions.

Discuss it with your boss or HR if the smell is that untenable to you. Personally, were I in your shoes (and I have been exposed to that and much worse), I would suck it up, chew on a wad of peppermint Dentyne or suck on Altoids to keep my nostrils semi-distracted, and focus on mentoring her and making her transition a smooth and pleasant one.

• Author
If it truly smells like she rolled around in poop, she may be incontinent and suffering from a medical condition. Not wiping yourself or not showering generally just gives one a funky/musty body odor. It's illegal to discriminate in the hiring process (or in other employee matters) for medical conditions.

Discuss it with your boss or HR if the smell is that untenable to you. Personally, were I in your shoes (and I have been exposed to that and much worse), I would suck it up, chew on a wad of peppermint Dentyne or suck on Altoids to keep my nostrils semi-distracted, and focus on mentoring her and making her transition a smooth and pleasant one.[/quote

:sick:

• Author

Oh am sorry thats terrible : (((

You are all right its so sensitive delicate damn political near matter.

I am very careful how I address beliefs nationalities races and all that but this is

nightmare of dead ends on any way I try to approach it.

But not everybody is me she will over hear someone say something am sure and then ...