Facing getting fired, losing my car

It seemed like a great idea. Quit the 9 to 5 job that was making me suicidal, buy a new car and drive for Uber. I like the work very much, too, and I'm committed to doing a great job.

But my clients don't like me. I have until Tuesday to deliver higher quality ratings or I'm fired. I don't think it's going to happen, as I've been doing everything possible to deliver 5 star service and do the job extremely well. My customers just do not care.

That leaves me with no job, and no car (will have to sell). So if you see me under a bridge lying in my own piss, spare a dollar?

Art_Critic

Hey Mario, Did they give you any feedback on what you need to change ?

Not sure what industry or job you do.. but....

Do you smoke ?... the reason I ask is that smoking delivery guys tend to carry the smoke smell in their clothes and it can turn off a client signing for a package.

I know the one thing I hate here at work is that certain delivery people will walk through the front door and announce (almost yell) who they are, interrupting people who might be on the phone or in meetings etc etc..

Good Luck

Looks like Uber is more like a taxi service. In which case I would think open doors, ask where you're going, then keep your mouth shut. Most people don't want to talk to strangers.

• Author

Preraph, that is exactly what I do! Unless the rider says they want to talk (sometimes they do).

And AC, I am vigilant about keeping the car clean and odor-free, and being quiet yet communicative. There were some issues last week but they are very much resolved.

They give no real feedback to help you improve. It's worse than a regular job because you're basically a franchise owner, and I stand to lose a huge pile of money and my fu@%!ng car. Well, life sucks...

You must be working for Uber X, since you are driving your own car.

I don't take Uber X (you are essentially getting into a stranger's car, who has not been vetted at all. The "background check" Uber runs for their Uber X drivers is a joke), but I do take a lot of taxis and use regular Uber.

My advice is:

-- Make sure you car (and you) does not smell and is clean. No personal junk laying around.

-- Know your way around the city. I can't stand it when a taxi driver has no clue where major intersections are.

-- Don't take me "the long way."

-- If I ask you to take a certain route, don't fight me on it. Take the route I want.

-- Don't talk to me unless I indicate I feel like talking.

-- Don't drive like a maniac.

-- Don't spend the entire trip talking on your cell phone.

-- Don't play the radio loudly.

-- Have the A/C on if it is hot outside.

If you are doing all of the above, there is no reason why you should be getting less than five stars.

Uber is encountering all kinds of pushback with Uber X in many cities, given the liability issues and lack of oversight. I don't see it being a sustainable business model for long. IMO, you should be considering a different job anyway.

Edited by clia
  • Like 5
pink_sugar

It's amazing how many bad taxi drivers there are. I remember once in Chicago, a taxi was going the wrong way in the wrong lane. OP, if you do get fired, try not to take it personally if you're doing your best. It could be that this job isn't for you.

• Author

Clia, I follow all those tips. All of them.

I assume your referring to the T or Black series (riders get upset when a Black or SUV is not available and they end up with me, which, somehow, is my fault). I envisioned working my current car into the ground and being able to one day afford a Black/SUV quality car. But, guess that's not gonna happen.

Still, PinkSugar, that's a funny story. Or it would be if I wasn't wondering how much dumber I am than that guy who doesn't understand the concept of arrows and small words. He's still out there making the big bucks, I betcha.

Then it makes no sense that you aren't getting five stars.

I assume your referring to the T or Black series (riders get upset when a Black or SUV is not available and they end up with me, which, somehow, is my fault). I envisioned working my current car into the ground and being able to one day afford a Black/SUV quality car. But, guess that's not gonna happen.

No.

UberTaxi are the city licensed taxi drivers, who meet all of the requirements, regulations, and qualifications specified by the city to be a taxi driver.

UberBlack are likewise people with professional chauffer's licenses and commercial insurance, who drive the nicer SUVs/limosuines. People who request UberBlack should not be ending up with an UberX driver. UberBlack is more expensive and regulated. If they are ending up with you after requesting UberBlack, you should be complaining to management.

UberX are regular Joe Schmos off the street who do not have professional chauffer's license or commercial insurance. Is this you?

UpwardForward

Advertise and start your own service.

Charge the customer what you're getting paid and you can compete with Uber.

• Like 1
  • Author

Well, thanks everyone. After a grueling 10 hour shift, I'm passing quality.

I'm gonna be driving a lot more this weekend to leave no room for doubt, as they say in UFC. Be like Barack Obama in '08, leave no margin for dispute. :cool: I'm gonna binge drive, if you will, until Monday, at which time a me day for creative pursuits will be sorely needed. That's what I love about Uber, is I can totally do that.

Sigh. I really panic whenever everything does not go perfectly, and I assume the worst in all people and situations. Gee, maybe that's why I'm single?!

• Like 2
Art_Critic
Out of curiosity, what car do you drive ?

And by chance do you have an Obama 08 bumper sticker on your car ? :laugh:

• Like 4
  • Author
Out of curiosity, what car do you drive ?

A Honda Insight, 2014 (hatchback, hybrid).

And by chance do you have an Obama 08 bumper sticker on your car ? :laugh:

LOL no bumper stickers allowed. Too bad, I really wanted some Coop girl art back there, but not to be. And I'm actually as non-political as they come, though I try to stay informed.

• Like 1
lucy_in_disguise

One time my uberx cab driver gave us chocolate mints and a card for future discounts. I thought that was a nice (albeit slightly creepy) touch.

• Like 2
One time my uberx cab driver gave us chocolate mints and a card for future discounts. I thought that was a nice (albeit slightly creepy) touch.

Should the stranger have given you candy before you got into his car ?

• Like 1
  • Author
I keep a gift basket in the back seat that includes candies, pretzel pieces, Mentos, Altoids and a shifting variety of snacks. I was handing out the discount cards but ran out, need more!
  • Like 3
I keep a gift basket in the back seat that includes candies, pretzel pieces, Mentos, Altoids and a shifting variety of snacks. I was handing out the discount cards but ran out, need more!

I'm sorry, i thought this was very cute, until i realized you are a guy ... fu*king pervo-freak !

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Application sent to Lyft. Sidecar is not available here. Uber rating is way down.