Landed a JOB Interview but I have a planned vacation coming up

UltimaWeapon

Hello Loveshack,

I am stuck in a weird situation where I have been aimlessly applying to places after finishing my University Degree in Business in hopes of landing a job in this rough Canadian economy. I am a recent graduate, 23- Male

I have been applying since September 2013 and in January 2014 I bought tickets with my Dad Mom and sister to go back to Europe for vacation to see my cousins, grandma and family for a month at the end of June.

The trip has been paid for and everything has been set many months in advance; I haven't been back since 2010 so this trip means a lot to me.

During this time (knowing I have a vacation coming up) I still decided to apply to jobs because you never know what can happen. I wasn't able to get anything from January til now...until today I was contacted for an interview. It is at a private marketing firm for a really nice job that is in line with my degree. It is a contract position Full Time from June-September and has the option of becoming LONG TERM after.

I knew this would somehow happen ...now the question is what do I do? The interview is scheduled for next week and I have no clue on what to do. I really want the job because this would be a terrific opportunity. I am leaving June 28th for a month so I was hoping IF I get the job to work up till when I leave and then in August when I come back and they could extend me through September.

Should I even bother going to the interview and see what they can offer and if they can accommodate me?

AND

If I do go on the interview should I even mention the vacation coming up?

Considering this is a 4 month position- it's a big thing to leave out..

I don't want to come across as unreliable and not mention anything until I am offered the position..

Thanks.

Edited by UltimaWeapon

Yes, go on the interview. If/when an offer is imminent, discuss your travel plans and see what you can negotiate.

Is there any chance you can shorten your trip a bit? Most employers will accept that a new employee may have existing plans for 1-2 weeks (you wouldn't get paid for that time but they'd likely hold the job).

Job comes first brah.

There will be many trips later. You're at the age that can determine whether you'll end up being the old guy living out of a trailer or the old guy living in the luxury ranch. I find it so idiotic how so many people our age put work as a bottom priority and then complain how they're doing so bad in their career and don't see themselves ever buying a house.

Your family will understand; I'm sure your parents are just dying for you to be firmly on your feet. Ask for a week off though, you don't want your employer thinking that you have nothing going on.

• Like 1
pink_sugar

My brother and his girlfriend cancelled their trip to Alaska, because it just wasn't feasible after she moved several hundred miles to live with my brother and look for another job. Money was tight and it was best for them to put it on hold. Many airlines will give you the airfare as a credit to use within 12 months if you need to cancel your trip or reschedule.

• Like 1

Before considering binning a vacation for a potential job offer, have you done your due diligence on the company which you will be prospectively interviewing with?

I'd do my due diligence on the principals, corporation and market, qualify the company as a fit, and, if it is, go to the interview, assess and then make a decision on whether the fit and prospects are sufficiently compelling to postpone, perhaps indefinitely, travel to your home country to see family. If leaning in the direction of taking the job, if offered, float the balloon of this prior commitment and gauge their consideration. If none, that's good information. Consider it. If they offer options, that's also good information to consider.

You could end up with a wonderful work opportunity. You also could end up terminated at the end of the contract, your family long gone and back from their trip and you with a cancelled airline ticket good for a year (from ticketing date) if you pay the change fee. Make your best assessment, decide, and go with it. No sure things in life, except death.

• Like 1

As carhill says, get more information about the company, the position, the people, and go to the interview.

If you get to the point in the interview that you are discussing when you would be available to start, and your salary, that is the time to bring up the trip. Explain that you've had these plans for months and it's a very rare opportunity, but if necessary, you would consider shortening or cancelling the trip if the position was worthwhile.

Gauge their reaction. They may tell you that they won't hire you if you go on the trip, but that you have the job otherwise. That's when you need to decide what is more important to you.

They may also respect your plans, and let you go unpaid, or they may tell you a month is too long, but they could allow you to go for a couple weeks.

The point is to come to a mutually agreeable term of employment. I've started jobs with vacation plans set and been able to take the vacations unpaid. It was not an issue. I've also taken 3 weeks off unpaid for a rare travel opportunity. Sometimes it's amazing what you can get if you ask for it.

edited to add answers to your questions:

Should I even bother going to the interview and see what they can offer and if they can accommodate me?

YES

AND

If I do go on the interview should I even mention the vacation coming up?

YES

Edited by rester
  • Like 1
creighton0123

Everyone else is right. This isn't unusual when interviewing folks or extending offers. People have paid plans. If you're a great candidate with no other similarly situated candidates, they will push your start date without question. They won't, however, pay you during that time.

• Like 1