Does anyone here have a government job? I'm an engineer and I was invited to apply for one where I work. Does anyone here have a government job and have any opinions to share on how they feel the security of their position is? Pros? Cons?

amaysngrace

Local pays better than county pays better than federal

usually...

I work for the federal government. The reason I wanted the job was for job security. In my field, prior to my government job, I worked for 3 different companies in less than 10 years all while in the same building, simply because of mergers. And then I lost my job, because of another merger. No fear of that in the government.

Don't work for the government if you are looking to make lots of money. It won't happen, not for an employee (contractors are another story). The benefits are still relatively good - although not as good as they used to be.

It is also a relief to be working towards a "mission" instead of having to constantly worry about the profits - or lack of them.

Pros: Job security & benefits

Con: any equivalent job as a contractor will make a great deal more money

Its contingent to the job field and location for Federal jobs.

State jobs have great perks! Re-tirement pensions and guaranteed holiday pay.

Heck the govt is even working towards 32 hour work week with your benefits kept in tact!

Insurance is all paid. The benefits outweigh the idiocy of the system .

I have zero tolerance for govt mentality or its inept workforce.

SO if you are an engineer, stay within the capitalist business, govt is not meant for those that have valued skills. :)

SO if you are an engineer, stay within the capitalist business, govt is not meant for those that have valued skills. :)

Nice. Please excuse me while I go toss my worthless master's degree into the fire.

...also I guess I should look my workplace's Nobel Prize winners up and tell them that, actually, they have no valued skills. :rolleyes:

The government is the best and only way to work. Both of my parents had government, so I too have a government job. I'm trying to recruit any and all because of the job security, the benefits (damn good) and the service credit you earn each month that you've work goes toward your retirement.

You don't go work for the government to become rich, you work for the government for job security and benefits.

If you're looking to become rich then go find a private job.

If you want a government job it takes PATIENCE! Every step takes a lifetime to make. I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Oh and it takes about 6-8 months to get on with the government.

Edited by Tressugar