Freelance work on a resume

pink_sugar

So I've been told it looks like I've jumped around due to the many side freelance jobs I've had. I've actually gotten good tips during interviews to leave dates off of freelance work. I have the freelance positions on there, because I feel like they help my overall experience level. I also hate when recruiters comment that it looks like I have jumped around when I haven't. I held my first "professional" position for 2 years and decided to move on for something full time with more opportunity. Unfortunately that next position laid me off after 3 months and I was still looking for work after securing a part time job, because I need full time. Thankfully, I have lined up a second job that does have potential for full time and growth. But it is frustrating when employers think you've jumped around when you haven't by choice. Any tips on how to make freelance work more impressive on a resume?

Can you organize them under a single, longer lasting category? Like

Pink Sugar Enterprises. Date-Date

Freelance Artist

.....Assignment 1 - Description

.....Assignment 2 - Description

.....Assignment 3 - Description

• Like 3

Like @Cocolat says, just have one heading as "Independent Consultant" or something like it from the year it started until the present, regardless of whether you had any regular jobs since then. It shows that you're a hard worker who keeps busy, and only your dream job would make you give it up. That's what I have in my resumé. Good luck.

• Like 1

You need to reorganize the resume into a skill based document rather than the traditional one with a chronological list of your employers.

• Author
pink_sugar

Thanks everyone. I was looking for the right way to present these projects as I think employers were looking at them as several jobs rather than freelance projects.

Thanks everyone. I was looking for the right way to present these projects as I think employers were looking at them as several jobs rather than freelance projects.

Good luck! :)