After Interview Timeline

All the interviews that I've attended seemed to go well.

My question is, how long does it take for the prospective employer to offer you the position?

Keep in mind these interviews are with state agencies. I understand it may take longer.

I have contacted my references and they all have told me every one of these prospective employers have called them for a reference. All my references gave a glowing recommendation of me.

Does anyone on here have experience in how long it takes for the state agency to contact you to offer you a position? My first interview has been six to eight weeks ago! My most recent interview was a week ago.

Usually the last step in the state's interviewing process is the checking of references before the position is extended to you.

Depends on the state...

When I interviewed with the State of California, it took them three months to offer the job from the date of interview.

• Like 1

I recently interviewed and changed jobs, and I've been at my new job for about a month and a half.

It took them about 2 weeks between interview to job offer, but they were working out the final details about this brand new position that they had created.

I also sent a thank you email immediately after arriving home from the interview, and I was later told that I really stood out because I was the only one of 4 candidates that had sent a thank you.

• Like 3
  • Author

@Carrie T: Three months is the average timeframe I'm thinking too!

@Keenly: Congrats on the new position. My experiences in sending 'Thank You' sentiments to prospective employers I end up never getting hired. It seems to me that when I don't send a 'Thank You' card/email I get the position. Backwards, huh?

pink_sugar

In my experience, references aren't called until you have an offer. It really depends on the employer. Some employers want you to start netxt week, while others can be several months. It just depends.

pink_sugar

In my experience, references aren't called until you have an offer. It really depends on the employer. Some employers want you to start right away, while others can be several months. It just depends.

Wow. I don't remember the exact length of time, but I was offered a state university position about a week after I interviewed. I can't imagine waiting 3 months...I would've written it off long before then!

P.S. I also sent a thank you note, but I don't think it really made any difference because they've told me since that they already knew they wanted to offer it to me if my references checked out. It can't hurt, though!

Edited by fiatflux
  • Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

I didn't go through an agency but my current job was offered to me 2 days after the interview.

BTW I am talking about a verbal offer. It took 2 weeks from there to get the written contract. I started 6 weeks after the verbal offer.