Nit Picking Boss VERY Anal

bluegreen

Oh Lord I have never seen such a control freak in my life.

He has to have his nose in everything always walks around with hands on his back trying to catch us in something and God help us if we punch even minute earlier for lunch.

I think he is trying to suck up to higher levels for reasons I can't disclose here and of course who can say that to his face or complain about it.

Am not bragging when I say am one of the best people he has yet even to me he manages to stick something from time to time.

How do you deal with freak like this ?

Job is close will help with some things and goals I need to achieve so quiting is not an option.

• Like 1

I feel for ya, got two boss's like that and I basically do the best I can and thank them for their "opinion", whilst subtling letting them know they have ketchup on their chin or something malfunctioning on them. It puts things in proper perspective. It evens the field. If that doesnt work, I follow it up with a pad and pen, and eagerly ask them to write down how they would have improved the matter. Most time they walk away thinking I am an idiot for asking them to write it down, but the end goal is to get them to stop breathing down my neck. Worth a try!

• Like 4
  • Author
bluegreen

I needed that laugh bless you girl and it feels bit better knowing am not alone in this

Oh Lord I have never seen such a control freak in my life.

He has to have his nose in everything always walks around with hands on his back trying to catch us in something and God help us if we punch even minute earlier for lunch.

I think he is trying to suck up to higher levels for reasons I can't disclose here and of course who can say that to his face or complain about it.

Am not bragging when I say am one of the best people he has yet even to me he manages to stick something from time to time.

How do you deal with freak like this ?

Job is close will help with some things and goals I need to achieve so quiting is not an option.

Don't have a solution for you, but to suck up to him, or at least not aggravate him.

Walking with your hands behind your back is a sign of superiority, of lack of fear.

The kind of walk a prince would have, a lord who is surveying his estate.

The groin area is the most sensitive area [considered], to the human species, so if someone does not try to protect it, but in fact shows he does not need to protect it, it shows he has nothing to fear.

I feel for ya, got two boss's like that and I basically do the best I can and thank them for their "opinion", whilst subtling letting them know they have ketchup on their chin or something malfunctioning on them. It puts things in proper perspective. It evens the field. If that doesnt work, I follow it up with a pad and pen, and eagerly ask them to write down how they would have improved the matter. Most time they walk away thinking I am an idiot for asking them to write it down, but the end goal is to get them to stop breathing down my neck. Worth a try!

That's very insidious. :)

OP, that right there is done to damage their 'perfect' image they have as a 'ruler'.

It brings them down a little, to reality.

• Author
bluegreen
Don't have a solution for you, but to suck up to him, or at least not aggravate him.

Walking with your hands behind your back is a sign of superiority, of lack of fear.

The kind of walk a prince would have, a lord who is surveying his estate.

The groin area is the most sensitive area [considered], to the human species, so if someone does not try to protect it, but in fact shows he does not need to protect it, it shows he has nothing to fear.

O geez radu now I do feel all better :sick:

I recommend using the workplace 180 approach.

Stop defending against his nitpicking.....instead, solicit it. Interrupt him politely many times per day with requests for his "input" relative to the matters he is currently nitpicking about. Nothing is too small! In fact, the smaller the better. Positioning of staples in the corner of a report.....should it be at a 45 degree angle, or would he prefer it parallel to the long edge? Discuss in detail how best to accomplish this, perhaps based on factors like usage of the report or intended audience. Check back several times for his input on how you've executed this. Leave him detailed voice mails and/or emails at the end of every day - or hourly if you prefer - discussing in detail what you've accomplished and what lies ahead. If you see him in the hallway, don't dodge him - instead, buttonhole him for more "synch up" and "to stay on the same page".

Announce every lunch departure and coffee break, and heck, why not the bathroom breaks too? Ask permission to pee, or just inform him that you're going to be in the ladies' room, with a time estimate based on your planned activities at which you can delicately hint. "This should be a quick one...I had 2 lattes this morning." "I'll be at least 5 minutes this time, but of course I'll do my best to hurry (make an ever-so-slight grunting face) and I'll be sure to let you know when I'm through and on my way back to the desk." And check in on your return. Ask to synchronize your watch with his, or start a discussion on the time standard you'll rely on.

Of course, this requires great acting skills and must all be done with not just a straight face, but also a straight mind. You actually have to put yourself in the mindset of really craving this type of close communication. And while you're free to tell the whole office how smoothly and happily your work day goes with your higher level of communication and super synched up approach, you have to tell it to them straight. You can also recommend that they follow your leadership and gain career success by seeking more guidance and input.

Guaranteed cure.

• Like 1
  • Author
bluegreen
I recommend using the workplace 180 approach.

Stop defending against his nitpicking.....instead, solicit it. Interrupt him politely many times per day with requests for his "input" relative to the matters he is currently nitpicking about. Nothing is too small! In fact, the smaller the better. Positioning of staples in the corner of a report.....should it be at a 45 degree angle, or would he prefer it parallel to the long edge? Discuss in detail how best to accomplish this, perhaps based on factors like usage of the report or intended audience. Check back several times for his input on how you've executed this. Leave him detailed voice mails and/or emails at the end of every day - or hourly if you prefer - discussing in detail what you've accomplished and what lies ahead. If you see him in the hallway, don't dodge him - instead, buttonhole him for more "synch up" and "to stay on the same page".

Announce every lunch departure and coffee break, and heck, why not the bathroom breaks too? Ask permission to pee, or just inform him that you're going to be in the ladies' room, with a time estimate based on your planned activities at which you can delicately hint. "This should be a quick one...I had 2 lattes this morning." "I'll be at least 5 minutes this time, but of course I'll do my best to hurry (make an ever-so-slight grunting face) and I'll be sure to let you know when I'm through and on my way back to the desk." And check in on your return. Ask to synchronize your watch with his, or start a discussion on the time standard you'll rely on.

Of course, this requires great acting skills and must all be done with not just a straight face, but also a straight mind. You actually have to put yourself in the mindset of really craving this type of close communication. And while you're free to tell the whole office how smoothly and happily your work day goes with your higher level of communication and super synched up approach, you have to tell it to them straight. You can also recommend that they follow your leadership and gain career success by seeking more guidance and input.

Guaranteed cure.

Oh I wish I could this off I bet he would be running away from me as soon as he saw me :laugh::laugh:but I can always start small right?

• Like 1

This has been a problem for me in the past too. First I try to kill em with kindness and smiling while answering their questions with energy, pretending to like them. lol

I can only bite my lip for so long though, eventually I might talk back a little. lol That's not good advice, sorry :D

I guess go with what Tayla said. IDK :(

• Author
bluegreen

Unfortunately am getting to know him all to well :sick:

Today we had to work with him in team ( banging head on key-board )

oh man he was behind my neck half a day.

Man literally wrings his hands over every little tiny teeny detail its impossible to NOT hear you done something wrong and when he is done then he leaves.

Until its time to check on something again and to add slap of the day was

how he is not really being (short frustrated little troll)

he is just making sure we are well productive and well taught.