Need career advice asap! Please give me your opinion

What's better?:

1: A fairly well paying job that u dislike. Mid level position.

2. A low level job that isn't great. Low salary. But it's at a great company with the opportunity to move up.

I work in a mid level position in an office and make a fairly good salary. But I don't enjoy my job and I've been wanting to leave for years. I submitted my resume to a bunch of websites and have received potential opportunities at good companies. However, the jobs are low level and pay a lot less than I'm making now. I figure since I'm trying to make a career shift, I'll have to start from the bottom but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to leave my cushy job for a receptionist like position even if it is at a great company. Also, I'll admit that it irks me to take a receptionist position when I have a masters degree. What do you guys think?

Edited by 90s kid
title

At the age of 32 I made a career change and gave up 70% of my compensation to do so. I was bored, not passionate with my current work. I was working on a 2nd degree at night at the time in a field that I found exciting.

I made financial adjustments to make the change, and within 2 years the money returned and now probably 10X more.

I vote for do what makes you happy, and if they pay is enough, good for you. I think your passion and energy will "bring the money" eventually. I've never been one to chase money, though it does seem to follow me! :laugh:

• Like 5
pink_sugar

What is your current occupation/field of work OP?

I would sit down and make a list if you have to.

Some things to consider are:

Can you afford a serious reduction in pay? If so can you make the necessary adjustments?

Are there opportunities to advance in the near future at these lower paying opportunities?

With your current skill set, what is the average pay you can expect? (There are websites such as payscale.com that can assist you with determining this)

I can somewhat relate. I don't mind a reduction in pay IF the company has opportunities for advancement in the near future. I recently interviewed with a company for the same level or maybe a lower level position than I am at now. It's full time (I'm part time now) with the same or slightly more pay, but the opportunities to advance were pretty minimal, so I passed on it. Based on my skills and experience, I know I can make more in a position with more seniority. There's nothing wrong with taking a pay cut, but you also don't want to sell yourself short either. Do some research to determine what you can expect for a salary based on your experience, skills and education. You can also negotiate salary with potential employers if you feel you are deserving of a higher wage. Wait to do this until they offer you a position. You have more leverage then.

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Author
What is your current occupation/field of work OP?

I would sit down and make a list if you have to.

Some things to consider are:

Can you afford a serious reduction in pay? If so can you make the necessary adjustments?

Are there opportunities to advance in the near future at these lower paying opportunities?

Thanks for the advice. The job listing doesn't have a specific salary listed (though I can guess the range based on the position) and it's hard to know about the potential for upward mobility just based on the job ad. I think I'm going to submit my resume and if I get an interview, I can ask more questions about the potential for advancement. At that point, I'll probably have a better idea of whether or not this is the job for me.

Grumpybutfun
At the age of 32 I made a career change and gave up 70% of my compensation to do so. I was bored, not passionate with my current work. I was working on a 2nd degree at night at the time in a field that I found exciting.

I made financial adjustments to make the change, and within 2 years the money returned and now probably 10X more.

I vote for do what makes you happy, and if they pay is enough, good for you. I think your passion and energy will "bring the money" eventually. I've never been one to chase money, though it does seem to follow me! :laugh:

Money follows knowledge and skill....I agree you should do what drives you, what motivates you.

G

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Receptionist is about the lowest rung on the ladder. I wouldn't do it unless they clearly stated that most people at the company started as a receptionist. At entertainment or literary agencies, for example, everyone starts in the mailroom before becoming an assistant to an agent and then an agent, unless they were already an agent previously. If it's a similar setup then it might be worthwhile.