Volunteering Overseas on Resume

International volunteer jobs - The Global Work & Travel Co.

I am a Social Work Student, I want advice about something to do with a future career.

I volunteer already and it is year one of my degree.

I also plan to combine my love of travel with volunteer work.

In a years time I will be volunteering in Africa or South America, looking after orphans and also assisting in community work/projects.

Now I am doing this for me, as a life long organisation I have decided that I will likely use a lot, since I can combine my love of travel AND volunteering in one bang, opposed to doing both independently.

However, if you were hiring a recent graduate for a job in Social Work and Human Services,

Would you look favourably upon a resume that read:

" have volunteered from year one of my 4 year degree"

" Volunteered in Africa assisting community projects"

I am doing this volunteer work irrespective of whether it benefits me, I just want to know what y'all think from an employment perspective.

I don't want to expect it to help me get employment but I think it shows dedication to the field, the fact I am choosing to spend 5K on volunteering must mean I am pretty dedicated, right?

• Like 1

Of course!

If nothing else it makes you look more intresting as a person and someone there more likely to want to chat to on an interview!

• Like 1
  • Author

Well I could have taken the cash and had a work free holiday, but instead I am suffering malnutrition from living on noodles and baked beans on toast ( I am a healthy weight but I often feel ill due to not getting meat or vitamins) Due to saving for this volunteer mission.

So volunteering to me shows that you like the cause enough to spend over 5K on a trip strictly for volunteering. You know, I love seeing the world but I would have seen the world without working during the entire trip.

I don't think I am mother Teresa but it shows dedication to the cause of human services, that I was willing to pay my way over there for a cause I felt as WORTH paying for, to experience the difference I could make.

I think it is more important that I get volunteer work HERE and stick with it long term, since most students do not volunteer in my degree and rely on the placements and grades.

• Author

Well it looks like I have chosen Canada instead.

I am an only child, and my parents went NUTS about Africa, like. LOLZ.

They fully freaked.

So yeah, I am decided that it is a great future career move to work with the disadvantaged in Canada, as lecturers tell me that no amount of study and reading case studies can give you first hand experience and knowledge of the exact ins and outs of being disadvantaged in a given country... You have to be there.

I am hoping the experience, of working with disadvantaged over there, will help me be better at my future job.

I think thats a great idea and definitely looks great on a resume. Any amount of volunteer work looks really good.

• Author

ugh ugh ugh.

Well I have committed to going in a year, but UGH.

NO work in Canada, only nannies who get paid to go to Canada for a year (via their program)

There is a Humanitarian volunteer program in Peru, and it even says on the program description " this is guaranteed to look very good on a resume/cv"

Hmm. South America sounds safer than Africa.

I am stuck guys, I don't know where to volunteer, my parents will be livid if I pick South America :( They will be worried sick and my father is very ill and I don't want to stress him:(

Should I pretend I am going to Canada and just go to Peru instead?

LOL

I am going in a year just don't know the location :o

ugh ugh ugh.

Well I have committed to going in a year, but UGH.

NO work in Canada, only nannies who get paid to go to Canada for a year (via their program)

There is a Humanitarian volunteer program in Peru, and it even says on the program description " this is guaranteed to look very good on a resume/cv"

Hmm. South America sounds safer than Africa.

I am stuck guys, I don't know where to volunteer, my parents will be livid if I pick South America :( They will be worried sick and my father is very ill and I don't want to stress him:(

Should I pretend I am going to Canada and just go to Peru instead?

LOL

I am going in a year just don't know the location :o

How about Central America or Mexico?

Eternal Sunshine

You are an adult Leigh, if you want to go to Africa, go to Africa. I may do that myself, not for the resume but for the experience.

My parents are probably the most over-protective parents ever and they let me travel all over Thailand alone. They didn't want to hear it at first but I was so persistent they had no choice. So don't give up just because parents freak out!

• Like 1

I was going to join the army if I didn't get in the fire service - I've got a brother and a sister but that doesn't mean my mum liked the idea of her youngest under gun fire - its not about being an only child its just part of parenting is knowing when to step back and let your kid try......personally I think the younger you do that the better prepared your kid'll be, but that's by the by, you need to tell your folks your super grateful for there concern but that you have to live your life.

Get them to help you plan/book/find a reputable company/etc etc etc if it'll make them feel better?

• Author
You are an adult Leigh, if you want to go to Africa, go to Africa. I may do that myself, not for the resume but for the experience.

My parents are probably the most over-protective parents ever and they let me travel all over Thailand alone. They didn't want to hear it at first but I was so persistent they had no choice. So don't give up just because parents freak out!

I would do my research and go to places where tourists have not been gunned down before.

I am travel savvy and I have head of tourists being gunned down in Peru, for instance, in a "safe" touristy area...

I want to volunteer but I think it is Ludacris to risk a high chance of being gang raped in the name of altruism.

I am thinking Zanzibar, Tanzania or the humanitarian one in Peru.

My parents want nothing to do with it though. At all.

Man, I cant do it, they genuinely think I would die, and then I have to live with guilt that my parents are worried sick every minute of every day I am there:(

LOL. I am SO going to just tell them I went to Canada and then... just go someplace else just to shut them up.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

• Author
I was going to join the army if I didn't get in the fire service - I've got a brother and a sister but that doesn't mean my mum liked the idea of her youngest under gun fire - its not about being an only child its just part of parenting is knowing when to step back and let your kid try......personally I think the younger you do that the better prepared your kid'll be, but that's by the by, you need to tell your folks your super grateful for there concern but that you have to live your life.

Get them to help you plan/book/find a reputable company/etc etc etc if it'll make them feel better?

It IS reputable. lolz.

They basically think that going anywhere in Africa, even for a mere 2 weeks, is a death sentence.

Same goes for South America.

I would do my research and go to places where tourists have not been gunned down before.

I am travel savvy and I have head of tourists being gunned down in Peru, for instance, in a "safe" touristy area...

I want to volunteer but I think it is Ludacris to risk a high chance of being gang raped in the name of altruism.

I am thinking Zanzibar, Tanzania or the humanitarian one in Peru.

The chances are significantly higher in countries where sexual violence towards women is common. That stands to reason. Your best bet is to stick with other volunteers until you are somewhat comfortable. The location won't necessarily help you.

They basically think that going anywhere in Africa, even for a mere 2 weeks, is a death sentence.

I travelled, lived and worked there for the best part of 2 years. On my own.

• Like 1
They basically think that going anywhere in Africa, even for a mere 2 weeks, is a death sentence..

I survived! :p

Africas a really amazing place, theres some great projects you can do out there too! I wanna do kili!

If you really wanna alternative I don't think Canada's a great one - I was under the impression there pretty good at looking after there own disadvantaged kids? How about a poorer European country? Say somewhere like Romania? Bulgaria?

• Like 3

I was interested what projects are happening in Europe - first thing Google threw up:

Bulgaria

^ Bulgaria: play with disadvantaged kids, time to travel, safe - always in a group ...is that not what your looking for?

Given your age, I think your focus should be on getting your degree as soon as possible, not taking a year off schooling to volunteer overseas. If you want to volunteer overseas, do it over your summer or winter break -- there is no need to do it for an entire year at the expense of putting off your graduation even more. I would think that volunteering locally during the school year coupled with a summer or winter break overseas volunteer experience would be sufficient.

• Like 5

I admire your gumption! You're thinking of doing something very brave, and I hope you're able to do it. Even if it doesn't work out right away, I recommend it highly for sometime in your career :).

I've done something similar (in a "dangerous" country). In most places around the world with a reputation for being unsafe, the danger is generally avoidable if you practice safe, common-sense ways of traveling and living abroad (don't go out late, don't wear flashy attire, etc). Personally, I think there are MANY places to live/work in Africa and South America (as well as Central America and Mexico) that are just fine for safe living.

Regarding your question, I think there are quite a few employers that DON'T understand volunteer work abroad quite as well. While I think it's inherently a positive, others are definitely going to want to see the specific skills you've acquired during your volunteer time abroad. So make sure you clearly spell out all of the things you learn: project management, fundraising, collaboration etc.

• Like 2
  • Author

Well I talked to another reputable organisation that seem to really strive to take care of their volunteers..

Morocco is a top bet, since my parents approve and my dad lived there for a few months and found the people extremely friendly. Plus we have friends who have lived there and claim it to be safe, relatively. Providing you are not stupid enough to ignore the fact it is a large Islamic populous area and to cover up....

Ghana in West Africa, I was told is very peaceful and the gateway to Africa and the organisation has a home base there that is very safe.

I am thinking MOROCCO. I will do a weeks worth of volunteer work, as it is extremely expensive to use these people, they charge nearly 3K just for ONE WEEK of volunteer work.

Where as this other company does to Zanzibar for 3K for TWO weeks.

I am thinking Morocco since I can volunteer one week and then for the next week, travel up to Spain before I fly home.

I am still in the process of researching.

I am more attracted to the Australian Company, only they don't do Morocco :(

• Author
I admire your gumption! You're thinking of doing something very brave, and I hope you're able to do it. Even if it doesn't work out right away, I recommend it highly for sometime in your career :).

I've done something similar (in a "dangerous" country). In most places around the world with a reputation for being unsafe, the danger is generally avoidable if you practice safe, common-sense ways of traveling and living abroad (don't go out late, don't wear flashy attire, etc). Personally, I think there are MANY places to live/work in Africa and South America (as well as Central America and Mexico) that are just fine for safe living.

Regarding your question, I think there are quite a few employers that DON'T understand volunteer work abroad quite as well. While I think it's inherently a positive, others are definitely going to want to see the specific skills you've acquired during your volunteer time abroad. So make sure you clearly spell out all of the things you learn: project management, fundraising, collaboration etc.

I will be a 31 year old college grad, I THINK I need to take ANY experience I can get haha!

But yes I am specifically aiming for programs that relate directly to the skill set I will also adopt for my ACTUAL degree.

And umm, my ex is HUGE and he got kidnapped in Guatemala with a SPANISH speaking girlfriend who was travel savvy...

They got tricked into getting into a taxi. They RAN when the taxi stopped. They would have been stabbed to death otherwise.

And a friend that volunteered in Honduras got kicked and robbed. And she was an EXPERIENCD traveller.

SCARY. Yikes.

• Author
Given your age, I think your focus should be on getting your degree as soon as possible, not taking a year off schooling to volunteer overseas. If you want to volunteer overseas, do it over your summer or winter break -- there is no need to do it for an entire year at the expense of putting off your graduation even more. I would think that volunteering locally during the school year coupled with a summer or winter break overseas volunteer experience would be sufficient.

Oh absolutely.

I am only opting to volunteer for 1 - 2 weeks.

If one week, I will relax for the second week. Depends on the cost of the programs, it is quiet expensive to volunteer so one week may be it plus a second week of relaxing.

So ya, 2 weeks tops I am going for. As an end of year thing I can do to look good on my resume and feel good about myself, while I hopefully make a few people smile along the way.

Plus If I am going to be a social worker I feel like meeting and working with children in Africa is a pretty key experience to have that'll open my up career wise.

My heart is set on an HR masters the year after my degree so I can further myself and I feel like repeated overseas perspectives via volunteering with kids in African countries, will serve me very well, given I eventually want to aim to work in HR for a non for profit.

"Well I could have taken the cash and had a work free holiday, but instead I am suffering malnutrition from living on noodles and baked beans on toast ( I am a healthy weight but I often feel ill due to not getting meat or vitamins) Due to saving for this volunteer mission."

There is nothing noble about making yourself sick. In healthcare, we strive to keep ourselves healthy, or we're not much use to those we're trying to serve. Get into an underdeveloped country and see how your weakened immune system reacts.

I agree with clia, think about doing in this on your off time, and get your degree under your belt. Use the money to eat some red and and veggies.

Eternal Sunshine

Just to add that yes, employers are interested in specific skills that are relevant to the position. They almost don't care how you gained them.

• Like 1
Oh absolutely.

I am only opting to volunteer for 1 - 2 weeks.

If one week, I will relax for the second week. Depends on the cost of the programs, it is quiet expensive to volunteer so one week may be it plus a second week of relaxing.

So ya, 2 weeks tops I am going for. As an end of year thing I can do to look good on my resume and feel good about myself, while I hopefully make a few people smile along the way.

I'm sorry, I must've misread your post -- I thought you said you were planning to go away for a year. My bad.

$3,000 seems like a lot of money to spend for a week or two of volunteering.

• Like 1
  • Author
"Well I could have taken the cash and had a work free holiday, but instead I am suffering malnutrition from living on noodles and baked beans on toast ( I am a healthy weight but I often feel ill due to not getting meat or vitamins) Due to saving for this volunteer mission."

There is nothing noble about making yourself sick. In healthcare, we strive to keep ourselves healthy, or we're not much use to those we're trying to serve. Get into an underdeveloped country and see how your weakened immune system reacts.

I agree with clia, think about doing in this on your off time, and get your degree under your belt. Use the money to eat some red and and veggies.

I don't think my 2 weeks out of my uni breaks will hinder my studies.