What length of skirt is appropriate?

Eternal Sunshine

I want to leave a good first impression at my new job and don't want to dress slutty. At my current work place, the dress code is pretty relaxed and pretty much anything goes. I often wore really short skirts, black leggings and boots....

There is no dress code at my new work place, but I still want to make more of an effort. Should a skirt be at least up to the knee level? If it helps, it's a large research institute so not a university and I won't be doing any teaching, just 100% research.

Keep wearing what you are wearing.:)

I want to leave a good first impression at my new job and don't want to dress slutty. At my current work place, the dress code is pretty relaxed and pretty much anything goes. I often wore really short skirts, black leggings and boots....

There is no dress code at my new work place, but I still want to make more of an effort. Should a skirt be at least up to the knee level? If it helps, it's a large research institute so not a university and I won't be doing any teaching, just 100% research.

Grumpybutfun

Wear something more conservative the first day, check out what other ladies are wearing and then wear something similar following. However, if all of those women are years older than you, that might not work unless you have sensible orthopedic shoes and church dresses. A short skirt with hose and heels might be a bit much but with leggings and boots would seem pretty tame to me in the workplace.

Congrats on your new job, so glad you got it. Is this the one from the conference call interview?

G

• Like 2

Depends on one's height and build but it's hard to go wrong with a classic pencil skirt

Generally, taller and slimmer allows longer, meaning below knee. I wouldn't go too far above the knee in a mixed company professional situation but obviously people do that.

• Like 3

With leggings, above the knee skirts should be fine.

You're tall like me. Do you have a trouble finding knee length skirts that look good? Most of the ones that hit my knee look odd and frumpy, so I buy them short and wear leggings and boots to work.

Congrats on the new job!

I agree with Grumpy, dress conservative/professionally the first day and feel things out. Def do NOT wear a short skirt or leggings or high boots on your first day--to me that is a bar outfit, never a work outfit. I'd probably go with black pants & a cute top. That way if people are dressed really nicely, you'll fit in, and if people are dressed in jeans you won't stand out as toooooo over-dressed.

• Like 3

You need to wear a dark suit with a skirt no shorter than your knee. 1/2 to 1 inch higher maybe but no shorter.

Medium height hells, a solid color blouse & simple jewelry will be perfect.

• Like 1

I know what length I'd prefer.:cool:

• Like 1

I've seen profs wearing skirts a little bit above the knee - not too short, but just a couple inches above. Looks fine and professional to me.

Probably best to play it safe the first few days and see how everyone else dresses.

• Like 1

You can't go wrong with black trousers and a top!

I've never had an issue wearing short skirts at work. Flip flops and shorts were a common occurrence during the summer at one of my old jobs, so a short skirt was nothing that would cause heads to turn.

Personally I cannot abide knee length skirts of pencil skirts, but that has more to do with my build (short and with big thighs). However, a skirts above the knee can still be very appropriate. I mean... Above the knee does not have to mean SHORT. It can still be fairly conservative, if that's the look you're going for.

Any outfit that detracts from your professional abilities and puts the focus on your physical attributes IMO is not appropriate. Your goal is to portray yourself as a very capable employee and not as someone who is simply attractive (which if I remember correctly, you are quite attractive).

Unfortunately, many employees (and not just women) do not realize that their clothes are part of their presentation of skills.

As was said, dress conservatively for a few days until you determine what the "norm" is. Then dress so as to fit in while still being yourself.

• Like 5

I wouldn't go with anything revealing on your first day, lol. If you're a tall, leggy hottie- that will set you off on the wrong foot with all of the females in your department.

If there is no dress code, can you wear jeans? If you can, you can opt for skinny jeans and ankle booties paired with a tee-shirt, blazer and a funky necklace. Skinny jeans can show off your legs without looking like you're flaunting anything.

Depends on the work environment. Jeans are pretty accepted now if your workplace is semi-casual. I can wear jeans at work- as long as they aren't ripped or frayed. If you're walking into a casual environment- you might look out of place wearing dress pants or even a skirt, regardless of the length. What exactly is the environment you're stepping into?

Congrats on the new job btw:)

• Like 1

Another one for going conservative initially until you sus out the environment. I do wear short skirts to work but we have all known each other here for years and it's a very relaxed environment. It's not how I would start off somewhere new.

• Like 2
Hope Shimmers

How old are you? This seems like a question that would be asked by a very young person, not a professional. Just my observation.

It's not that complicated. Dress professionally - certainly no high boot and leggings and short skirts - until you know differently. If you are working in a research environment (not sure why you would distinguish that from a teaching position? Many people work both) then all the more reason to be professional above all else.

How old are you? This seems like a question that would be asked by a very young person, not a professional. Just my observation.

It's not that complicated. Dress professionally - certainly no high boot and leggings and short skirts - until you know differently. If you are working in a research environment (not sure why you would distinguish that from a teaching position? Many people work both) then all the more reason to be professional above all else.

Yes, but if you go in wearing a skirt suit or similar, when everyone else is in jeans/shorts/whatever, is a bit much.

Hence the question, which I think is valid.

There are several conservative casual options that we've all mentioned.

• Like 1
Hope Shimmers
Yes, but if you go in wearing a skirt suit or similar, when everyone else is in jeans/shorts/whatever, is a bit much.

Hence the question, which I think is valid.

There are several conservative casual options that we've all mentioned.

I didn't interpret her question that way at all.

Okay. I thought she said she was a professional researcher and would be doing that full time as a research facility, which is what I have done too. Most people don't get to that level until mid-30's in age and the whole 'short skirt/tights/boots' thing is completely not an issue. It just seemed a strange question from a professional researcher. But I may have misunderstood.

Edited by Hope Shimmers

Okay. I thought she said she was a professional researcher and would be doing that full time as a research facility, which is what I have done too. Most people don't get to that level until mid-30's in age and the whole 'short skirt/tights/boots' thing is completely not an issue. It just seemed a strange question from a professional researcher. But I may have misunderstood.

Sounds normal to me especially considering she had a different job scope in her previous workplace and she is moving to a totally new location.

I've worked with people of all ages and in work places without a dress code, you'll see 50 year old women with skirts/tights/boots.

And guys in their 40's wearing shorts.

It's not a question of dressing like a teenager, but when there is no dress code, dressing "professional" (which to me is basically wearing a suit) is not appropriate either.

Hope Shimmers
I've worked with people of all ages and in work places without a dress code, you'll see 50 year old women with skirts/tights/boots.

And guys in their 40's wearing shorts.

It's not a question of dressing like a teenager, but when there is no dress code, dressing "professional" (which to me is basically wearing a suit) is not appropriate either.

Great! I was just going on the fact that she was working in a large research facility as a researcher, which I have exactly done myself, so that was the basis for my response. I'm done, thanks.

People who work at universities do not dress the way people do in a corporate environment.

An above the knee skirt would be considered perfectly acceptable at every university I've attended and worked at. (I work with a guy who wears tie-dyed t-shirts and jeans most days. :laugh:)

A business suit would be out of the ordinary, unless you were in a high level administrative position.

As long as she uses common sense and doesn't go too short or too tight, boots, leggings, and a skirt will be fine. I do flat boots instead of heels for work.

• Like 1

One inch above or below the knee is a good guideline to follow when looking to dress the potential new boss. Play it safer and make sure the dress bottoms out at mid-calf.

Given you are going to an MRI I wouldn't wear a skirt at all. I would wear pants, nice top and closed shoes if you are going to be in the lab in future. You will probably have induction most of the first day.

Having also worked in large research institutes, no one wears pencil skirts or suits on a day to day basis. Most will be in jeans but be conservative for your first week.

If you are in a lab bare skin is a no-no anyway. All your gowns etc will leave no gap with gloves so skirts may well not be encouraged.