How do I explain my LOA to family/friends

I've been away from this forum for about a decade, glad it's still here! I'm on a Leave of Absence from work due to anxiety disorder. I never believed in such things until I had a car accident in 2012 and my life seemed to 'fall apart'.

To make a very long story short and get to the point, I would have episodes where I would burst into tears for no reason, complete lack of concentration, and I forget routine tasks and entire conversations.

I've been sering my Dr. regularly, taking medication and have started therapy. My work started to suffer and my Manager and HR asked me to take some time off to 'deal with my issues'...how embarrassing!!

I'm in a Canada, my elderly father is in Florida, he calls me at work on our 1-800 # during the week. He's one of those people who worked at the same job for 30 years and never took a sick day. He never understood office work snd will NOT understand stress leave. My phone extension will still work, I just won't be in the office for 3 months. I'm an only child so it's not like I have a sibling to distract him!!

Any suggestions on what to tell him would be greatly appreciated. My therapist doesn't think I should give him any details, just say I'm 'off-work', but he'll be worried!

tell him that your office is trying to cut costs or something and you'll be telecommuting for a while and working mainly from home. and you'll only be going into the office here and there, so it's best to just not call you there, but at home.

creighton0123

Just tell him the truth. It's up to him to understand or not. Don't burden your mind with being dishonest with family members.

• Like 2
  • Author

Thank you so much for your suggestion, that's what I told him and he was fine with it :). As far as other family members and friends, I'll just tell them about the stress leave.

I just didn't want to disappoint my dad. Thanks again for your help!