Are grasses that much greener with higher education?

I am finding the grass is not any greener with a higher education.... I only have an Associates and wanted to pursue a 4 year degree like every normal person does, which not doing me any good. Im still working at dead end jobs, cant seem to make a living wage, and still not getting ahead. :( How am I to pay for such expensive education at these wages?

I have been left lonely and frustrated to figure things out on my own at home with very little to no guidance at all. The information I do obtain to further my education is either wrong or misinformation. I am having a bit of trouble having faith and trust in people that are trying to help.

At this point IMO, I dont think going into debt over a higher education is going to help.

• Like 1

Higher education isn't for everyone. However if you want a degree you will find a way.

There are scholarships & loans. Some on line programs are more cost effective than brick & mortar schools.

Another option may be ROTC.

You need a degree and experience these days. If you can gain experience while in school, you will be much better off.

• Like 2

Plenty of people make their way without higher education, it's just harder and takes longer for most. Honestly my degree just prevents employers from ruling me out in screening as a lot of them say they want someone with a degree just to filter out candidates. The coursework gave me nothing professionally that I didn't already learn working.

Cosign with pink, it's definitely a balance, but the work experience is more versatile IMO. Spend a year working and getting to know people in an industry you want to work in, then see if you feel you need to continue going to school to advance from there.

Strongly urge holding off on going into debt for education without good career prospects or some work under your belt. I really regret going so far in school without equal advancement in career, because I've got a mountain of debt without a reasonable income to pay it off. The stress isn't worth the degree and honestly the degree itself hasn't done anything I couldn't have accomplished with better networking and more work experience.

• Like 2
creighton0123

Honestly, it all depends on what degree you have and/or are seeking.

You didn't mention that, so it's hard for us to determine whether or not it's better for you.

As an example, if you want to break into the computer field or IT field, a BS or BA in Computer Science will put you in positions earning 35 to 40k higher than a non-degree individual.

If, however, your degree is in the liberal arts, that's not going to go very far in the business sector.

I'll offer this advice: A degree, if applied to a specific field, is only useful for that first job. Afterwards, the big points for subsequent places of employment are more about the skill set of your previous job + duration of your previous employment.

The market is rich with folks looking for jobs. You'll have a hard time competing against the unemployed/laid off folks who have had previous positions in the field you're applying for if you only have jobs in the unskilled labors area + an associate's degree.

• Like 2
Plenty of people make their way without higher education, it's just harder and takes longer for most. Honestly my degree just prevents employers from ruling me out in screening as a lot of them say they want someone with a degree just to filter out candidates. The coursework gave me nothing professionally that I didn't already learn working.

Cosign with pink, it's definitely a balance, but the work experience is more versatile IMO. Spend a year working and getting to know people in an industry you want to work in, then see if you feel you need to continue going to school to advance from there.

Strongly urge holding off on going into debt for education without good career prospects or some work under your belt. I really regret going so far in school without equal advancement in career, because I've got a mountain of debt without a reasonable income to pay it off. The stress isn't worth the degree and honestly the degree itself hasn't done anything I couldn't have accomplished with better networking and more work experience.

I agree, I had to defer my student loans before they even started as a result of an unexpected layoff. My dad lives in a fantasy world and thinks a bachelors degree alone guarantees 50k a year. :rolleyes: My brother in law will make about 50k with a Masters starting off in Accounting...and that's with a Masters in a desirable field of work. I was lucky to make 40k right out of college, though I had over 2 years professional experience by the time I finished school. I cannot stress enough how important it is to get experience while in school. Just a degree isn't enough unless you're going to be a Nurse, Accountant, Engineer or etc

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Like 1

While I agree with the other posters that higher education isn't the only path, it is a path. Other factors to consider are what your degree is in, what hands on experience you've developed, and where you're located. After considering all of that then weigh it against your expectations for the future and see if it makes sense.

• Like 1

As an example, if you want to break into the computer field or IT field, a BS or BA in Computer Science will put you in positions earning 35 to 40k higher than a non-degree individual.

This is absolutely not true. IT and Computer Science are two fields where the degree is all but irrelevant. Because it's SO easy to prove whether or not you have the skills, most employers just don't care. If you have the experience and you can do the job, that's all that matters.

I've been in the IT field for 10 years and nobody ever even blinked at my lack of degree. Most people I worked with didn't have one either, and many made 3-figure salaries because they were highly skilled technical resources. I eventually went and got it only because it would allow me to go for a graduate degree and eventually access senior management positions. For all other IT jobs, I would've been better off earning certifications.

Almond_joy, what field are you trying to break into? You may be able to pursue other venues of training that are less expensive and may be equally as effective. It all depends on the industry you want to work in.

Higher education without concurrent or previous experience in the content area can prove to be largely unproductive.

• Like 2
This is absolutely not true. IT and Computer Science are two fields where the degree is all but irrelevant. Because it's SO easy to prove whether or not you have the skills, most employers just don't care. If you have the experience and you can do the job, that's all that matters.

I've been in the IT field for 10 years and nobody ever even blinked at my lack of degree. Most people I worked with didn't have one either, and many made 3-figure salaries because they were highly skilled technical resources. I eventually went and got it only because it would allow me to go for a graduate degree and eventually access senior management positions. For all other IT jobs, I would've been better off earning certifications.

Almond_joy, what field are you trying to break into? You may be able to pursue other venues of training that are less expensive and may be equally as effective. It all depends on the industry you want to work in.

Management (administrative or operations seem the best fits for me) or HR. I want to get the HR cert but they changed the qualifications for sitting the exam - you have to have an hr job or at least 50% of your work has to be hr duties :-/. Sort of a catch-22 lol.

I don't have a particular industry I'm trying to break into - I figured the roles I'm going for are pretty standard in qualification regardless of the industry. If you have some suggesstions I'd be happy to hear them - right now I'm on the work your way up from the bottom trek, while still at the bottom, hoping for an opportunity to open up. Not saying it won't work but I do want to be farther along.

Edited by Almond_Joy
Management (administrative or operations seem the best fits for me) or HR. I want to get the HR cert but they changed the qualifications for sitting the exam - you have to have an hr job or at least 50% of your work has to be hr duties :-/. Sort of a catch-22 lol.

I don't have a particular industry I'm trying to break into - I figured the roles I'm going for are pretty standard in qualification regardless of the industry. If you have some suggesstions I'd be happy to hear them - right now I'm on the work your way up from the bottom trek, while still at the bottom, hoping for an opportunity to open up. Not saying it won't work but I do want to be farther along.

My husband has been facing something similar. He also wants to get into HR, but has had minimal success since all those positions want you to already have experience. He has an associates and bachelors in business and has over a year experience working in an office, underpaid and still having a hard time finding a full time administrative/HR position. Now he is trying for a job with the state. My advice is to try and get some experience before going back to school.

Depends what field you go into.

I graduated in September of 2012 with my masters. I made $90k coming out of school. I'll top $100k this year.

I do have debt, but that will be completely paid off by the end of next year.

Edited by topaMAXX
  • Like 1

Tertiary education isn't a necessity, but it does open more doors. And I can't see why you would want to have fewer doors instead of more.

In many fields you can bypass the need for a degree and get a great job still, but you usually need heaps of experience for employers to consider that, which is a chicken and egg problem. Degrees help get you in the door when you have no relevant career experience yet. Nobody nowadays is going to hire someone with no degree and no experience. Even degree and no experience is tough, you usually need to start off with an internship.

Also don't underestimate the networking potential of university. Many universities help their students or alumni out with job opportunities that aren't advertised elsewhere.

• Like 3
Depends what field you go into.

I graduated in September of 2012 with my masters. I made $90k coming out of school. I'll top $100k this year.

I do have debt, but that will be completely paid off by the end of next year.

You are definitely the exception to the rule. My dad thinks everyone with a masters no matter what it's in should be making that. Unfortunately, it's not a reality for most unless you have years of experience.

You are definitely the exception to the rule. My dad thinks everyone with a masters no matter what it's in should be making that. Unfortunately, it's not a reality for most unless you have years of experience.

Health care is pretty much the only place where this can happen these days (which is what I went into).

I've heard mixed results with even engineering, accounting, and IT these days.

• Like 2

For me, the grass is MUCH greener.

My job now where I work in the field I got my Master's can't even compare to when I was waiting tables in college.

I love my job now whereas waiting tables was awful, so I am very, very glad I went to grad school. I wouldn't have my job without my Master's, as it's the minimum degree required.

My husband has been facing something similar. He also wants to get into HR, but has had minimal success since all those positions want you to already have experience. He has an associates and bachelors in business and has over a year experience working in an office, underpaid and still having a hard time finding a full time administrative/HR position. Now he is trying for a job with the state. My advice is to try and get some experience before going back to school.

I've been working full time in admin since 2006....got plenty of experience. But no network :-/.

Hope your husband gets into state, he'd be set.

I've been working full time in admin since 2006....got plenty of experience. But no network :-/.

Hope your husband gets into state, he'd be set.

It sounds like a bachelors degree will help you since you already have the experience. Does your company offer any sort of tuition reimbursement program?

It sounds like a bachelors degree will help you since you already have the experience. Does your company offer any sort of tuition reimbursement program?

I already have a bachelor's, it's the master's I stopped pursuing for now.

I don't know that a Masters helps all that much in working - I've been told that if what you desire is climbing the corporate ladder, putting those 2 years into getting work experience and networking is more beneficial instead.

IMO a Masters or PhD is only necessary if you're aiming for a career in academia. With the exception of a few jobs that require a Masters (architecture I think, and medicine in the USA?)

• Like 3

In the US, a Master's degree is pretty much an unspoken requirement for accessing senior management roles (Director, VP, etc). You can get there without a Bachelor's, but it's rare and you will probably have a hard time being considered for C-level roles beyond that.

For non-management roles, it depends on the field. For technology roles it's pretty much irrelevant. For other jobs such as social work, and professional fields (ie finance, accounting, etc) is not necessary but you will be given access to better-paid roles if you do have it. To be a college professor in the US, a Master's won't even get you very far... you may get a teaching job but you won't get a tenure-track position without a PhD.

IMO, having higher education whether bachelor, masters or doctorate is truly great asset in finding work. Yet, it doesn't guarantee that you will have greener grasses. You should have also skills, ability, experience and industrious too. Bachelor degree can be stepping stone but skills, ability, experience and industrious is your license to have greener pasture. Since not all that we learned from our schools is use in the job that is offer to us.

• Like 2

Like some have said, it really depends on what degree you are going for. If you are going to major in liberal arts, dancing, history, or basket weaving, you are going to have a really hard time using those for a career, unless you are in an ivy league school, in which investment banking option can open up only due to the fact of being in such a school.

I'm going to guess that this is not an option open to you so it really come down to what type of degree and field you are trying to enter. You have to look at the current market and see what is in demand, and what degrees open the doors for you. Someone mentioned the medical field and some of the options are good, but some not so much.

Take the nursing field. About 5~10 years ago, you would get hired right away with just an associate degree in nursing, due to the demand. Now? Very difficult to get into the field due to the saturation of people getting a nursing degree, people going into the field for the money, and the number of schools opening up that can provide the degree.

It's the same with being a lawyer. Look at how many law schools there are in the US, way too many lawyers, very difficult to get a good paying job as a lawyer to help take care of the debt you build up. So yes, there are many degrees that won't pay out well, but there are some that will, but you have to research and be able to actually earn, so I will list some of them and the one I am currently pursuing.

1) Engineering - This goes into a wide range of different fields and has some good aspect. Some of the really good ones are electrical, chemical, and mechanical. Just a bachelor's degree can get you a position with a well paying job, and a master will help boost your income.

2) Medical Degree - AkA becoming a doctor. Pay ranges for this field is anywhere from 90k ~ 250k+ . This path comes with a huge time commitment, a large amount of debt, and also you have to actually want to be a doctor (care about people and such :laugh: )

3) Specialized field that require a bachelors - These are special field where you have to pass certain exams and other requirements to enter. CPA is one of them, which I have heard can yield large gains from.

The other, which I am pursuing is becoming an actuary, a field not many really know about. To summarize, actuaries work with insurance company and "do the numbers" behind the risks and benefits of insurance. Aside from having a bachelors, you also need to pass a large number of exams, the first two being calculus based statistics / probability and finance.

The beauty of this field, is once you pass the first two exams and have your bachelors, you can enter the field very easily starting at around 50~60k. The companies will pay for your future exam and materials you require for them, and even allocate time at work for just studying. Almost never work over 40 hours a week, for each exam you pass you get a pay bump of 10~20k, and once you are done with all the exams (takes about 8 years after getting your bachelors) you make around 250k a year.

Now here is the thing that should be noticed about all of these fields, and why they are in such high demand. They are very hard to get into due to their difficultly, thus there is such a demand for people capable of doing said job. It is the basis supply and demand of economics (if you haven't notice, my major is economics :p ) Just to give you an idea of the difficulty of being an actuary, those exams I mentioned, the passing rate for each one is around 30%, that means 70% of the people that attempt the exam don't pass, at each stage. CPA is the same way (in fact I think it is even worse), engineering requires high levels of math and physical logic, medical school a great understanding of chemistry and biology.

So to sum up everything I said, is higher education a waste of time and money? It can be if not planned accordingly. But if you plan it carefully and follow the market, it can be one of the best investments in yourself.

• Like 2

I agree with the above. My dad said his 24 year old roommate makes around 75k as a manager for tesla or something like that and in his words "Only with a bachelors in engineering". Well, that says it all right there. You're not going to make $50k out the door with a Business degree unless you have at least a few years experience.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm speaking from experience, I wouldn't bother pursuing a higher education. I have a graduate degree in business that has never amounted to much of anything.

• Like 1