:( Apart from all the other crap (sorry) going on in my life, the company I've worked at for the last 4 1/2 years is closing down in October. They've offered me a 4 month severance package with continuing benefits during that period, which is great - but I'd much rather have a job.

So my boss, who has always been fantastic to me and is leaving to work at another company put in a good word for me with a VP up at our Head Office and the woman has been working on creating a position for me in her department so I wouldn't lose my job.

I'm a divorced woman with 2 boys and a mortgage and I need the money not to mention the healthcare benefits, especially dental as my youngest is getting braces starting in December at the earliest.

To make a really long story short: last week I received an email from a government organization asking for a product listing with lots of detail about packaging etc. Since my termination date is mid-October, I forwarded the email to someone I know up at head office and asked him if he could find someone up there to start the project, and maintain it because I was gone soon anyway. I also said I'd be happy to supply the info they needed for the listing.

Well - that guy went straight to his boss, who happens to be the VP working on hiring me (I'm not supposed to know about that btw, but my boss gave me the heads up), and told her I REFUSED TO DO IT.

She called me and said she heard I didn't want to work on this project and she wanted to know why, and said she was 'a little surprised' to hear it.

I could have DIED. I did NOT refuse to do it, I just thought someone else within head office would be better suited to work on since I would be gone soon, and told her so, really nicely of course.

She said the fact that I would be gone in 6 weeks has nothing to do with regular work being done. I apologized and said I would be happy to do it if that was the case. I made sure I sounded calm and cheerful.

When I hung up I almost threw up! I made a crucial error in judgement at the wrong time and I think I may have ruined my chances of getting that job. Since nothing was written in stone, all she has to do is put the brakes on and the job disappears.

Immediately after talking to her I sent a confirmation email stating I would be attending the webcast training session and I cc'd her.

She sent me an email back saying 'Thanks!'

Have I screwed up?

• Author

By the way, my boss asked me months ago if I would consider coming with him to the new company since I've been his right hand for more than 4 years and I said I would love to. But when he signed his contract, his superior at the new company told him that until his division is set up - it's new - and they have assessed staffing needs, they won't consider hiring anybody new. So my boss has lobbied his friends and the HR department up at head office for me; with the understanding that as soon as he can start hiring, he will be taking me on to work with him.

I think that might lessen my chances of being offered something :(