I hate phone interviews

lucy_in_disguise

Anyone with me on this one?

I hate talking on the phone in general but interviews are the fcvking worst. Especially with HR. I have bombed 3 phone interviews recently and I am so bummed. :sick:

My resume is ok. I usually hear back for positions I'm qualified for. If I can get through the phone interview, it's smooth sailing. In person there is body language, which goes a LONG way in helping me relax. I am a decent writer and if I can relax, I am able those skills to verbal communication.

But over the phone I get so nervous that I develop a fcvking stutter. This does not happen to me in any other situation. WTF.

Anyone have any tips?

• Like 2
HokeyReligions

Breathing exercises. Smile when speaking. Dress as though it were an in person interview. Keep your resume and any other data in front of you. Have a pad and paper ready. Have a list of questions to ask. Be in a closed comfortable room free from distractions. Room temperature water at the ready. And a touch of Bailey's in your coffee.

• Like 3
Secret Advisor

Make sure it is not a "surprise" interview. Schedule an actual appointment. As someone else said, dress up as if you were going to an in-person interview. Put them on speaker and stand up when speaking. Remember that the purpose of the phone interview is to screen you OUT, so make sure that you are emphasizing points that will lead to an in-person interview.

I've had many. (no Skype or facetime ones though). they are actually beneficial because you can look at prepared notes and answers and sound pretty good. I always 'dress' for mine - it puts me in the right frame of mind. I go sit in a very quiet place about 15 minutes before the call to collect my thoughts, breathe, focus, etc. Sit at a table (if you can ) and not in your car or outside - it'll eliminate noise and you can lay out note cards in front of you while you talk. have a notepad handy - I write down the names of the interviewers so that I know who I am hearing from/talking to at any given point. and try to be very neutral in speaking tone. in person you might be able to laugh and make a light joke, but over the phone the sound of laughter can be unprofessional.

• Like 1
maiden of rohan

I hate them, too. :o

Granted, I'm very shy especially on the phone, and the ones I've had have been surprise ones. One of them called a day later than planned, so I simply wasn't prepared at that moment. Another time, someone wouldn't shut up in my house and I could hardly tell them too with the interviewer listening. :o

I do wish they'd save the phone interview to either the second part of the process, but I suppose it's weeding them out. I'm actually a touch better in person.

• Like 1
I've had many. (no Skype or facetime ones though). they are actually beneficial because you can look at prepared notes and answers and sound pretty good. I always 'dress' for mine - it puts me in the right frame of mind. I go sit in a very quiet place about 15 minutes before the call to collect my thoughts, breathe, focus, etc. Sit at a table (if you can ) and not in your car or outside - it'll eliminate noise and you can lay out note cards in front of you while you talk. have a notepad handy - I write down the names of the interviewers so that I know who I am hearing from/talking to at any given point. and try to be very neutral in speaking tone. in person you might be able to laugh and make a light joke, but over the phone the sound of laughter can be unprofessional.

Yeah, I hate unscheduled interviews more than anything. Nothing gets me more than "what do you know about the company" when they call unexpectedly. I apply for many jobs each day and I usually research the company prior to a scheduled interview or phone interview. I'd say the unscheduled phone interviews get me more than anything.

• Author
lucy_in_disguise

I've never had an unscheduled interview. Honestly I probably wouldn't pick up since I usually let calls from unknown numbers go to voicemail.

I always spend a lot of time preparing for interviews, going so far as to write out an exact response to questions I may expect. I have anecdotes based on my experience for all the common types of questions.

I don't dress up (though maybe I should) and I probably forget to smile, but besides the baileys in my coffee, I try to follow all the usual advice. But there is just something about phone interviews - actually, phone conversations in general - that makes me very anxious, so anything unexpected really trips me up.

I think my phobia may have something to do with English not being my native language - a fear that I won't understand what's being asked, without body language cues to guide me. That's the only thing I can think of.