References

Eternal Sunshine

I am not sure who to use as a reference when looking for work. I only had one steady job for all of my adult life with the same boss. I did have many casual non-career jobs on the side..

The problem is that I am not 100% sure my boss would give me a great reference if called up. I had some arguments/personality conflicts with him and I would rather not risk it.

Will it look really bad if I don't use my pretty much only boss as a reference?

I would think it wouldn't be helpful. I always go to lengths to avoid conflict or potential clashes with employers to avoid this- usually will find other employment rather than persevere (thankfully me qualifications allow for this).

They are usually most interested in your boss from full-time employment, and I assume they will go over that particular role when assessing you? I would honestly just use your boss as a reference, it won't be so bad as long as your other references are good.

That would be horrible if your boss was so difficult they would convey negative aspects to future employers!

Good luck!

• Like 1

Perhaps you could contact your boss and ask for a written reference...you can say it's just easier to attach to your electronic resume.

If you can get that, it'll give some idea of what s/he might say in case of a telephone reference check.

You can also explain to potential employers that there were personality conflicts at your prior place of employment -- better to hear it from you, really. I have done hiring in the past, and it would seem strange to not be able to contact any, all of the person's prior bosses, supervisors, etc., without some logical, plausible explanation from the person looking for me to hire them.

• Like 3
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine

Well, I am currently on good terms with my boss and he said that he is more than happy to give a reference. Maybe I am just worried for no reason. My 2 other referees are 100% solid, one is my former lecturer, the other is a casual job boss.

Well, I am currently on good terms with my boss and he said that he is more than happy to give a reference. Maybe I am just worried for no reason. My 2 other referees are 100% solid, one is my former lecturer, the other is a casual job boss.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. If two references are saying you are brilliant you will be fine. I think it is more likely your main boss would give you a great reference than a bad one.

Depending on the company - you could get references from coworkers or other managers who you don't directly report too. I recently got a job offer, in part thanks to a strong reference from a former executive of my company who was not my direct boss, but we had a good working relationship. My current boss (soon to be ex boss) is not someone I would use for a reference.

Also if you are using linkedn for your professional life (you should)...ask your references (including your old boss) to provide a reference on your profile. Then you have it for good. Also when working, remember to save any emails or memos praising you for your work or good performance reviews.

• Like 1

My girlfriend works in HR and legally, there are some questions that cannot be asked when doing a reference.

The main questions legally allowed are:

Person's title

Person's start date

Eligible for rehire (this is a yes or no question).

I think getting it in writing is good - but I know most companies do the phone calls for reference checks. Anyone can forge a letter.

"Will it look really bad if I don't use my pretty much only boss as a reference? "

No, sometimes the reason people move on is because of a lack of opportunity or the boss just gives everyone a bad reference. If your other references are good, use them. The refereneces I do not like are those that are more than 3 years old, or have nothing to do with the persons potential job. Comments like "Jose really needs a job to support his family" indicate a poor prospect.