Lazy coworker

venusishername

I am absolutely fuming. I work with the laziest person I have ever encountered in my life, and that's saying a lot.

First of all, I am actively looking for another job elsewhere, so I am being proactive about it. I cannot stand to be around this person any longer. It's not that I dislike her personally, it's just that her level of laziness is totally unacceptable to me. My bosses don't seem to mind, or at least I don't see that they do. I think they feel sorry for her or something, and couldn't fire her because she has three young kids or something.

I just don't know how to handle it in the meantime before I leave this job. I have an education and a good career, and I enjoy my work. I just don't enjoy her laziness when I am busting my ass and have spent my adulthood doing so with night school for 5 years while working at the same time. She has zero education beyond high school and had the NERVE to say to me, "I can do everything that you do." (I started out with her title over three years ago, left briefly to finish school, and my boss called me back to work with a higher title that I earned via my education and training.)

I can't help but wonder if she is jealous of me, or envious of what I have, or the way my boss 'loves' me,or what it is because often she gives me major attitude if I ever ask for her help with my workload. We work in a small office setting as a team, and she does not believe that I am her superior and treats me as her equal.

Advice in this interim before something better comes along?

I think you need to talk to your supervisor about it and tell him how she's always kicking up the dust and acting resentful and tell him although you realize respect has to be earned, you feel you have earned everyone else's respect except hers, despite your best efforts so you believe she is the one with the problem.

If you are a person who never runs to the boss, you have been there for some time, and this is your first time doing it, you should be taken quite seriously. So don't fight the small wars. Save it up for when you really need to fix something. You should remind them that she doesn't seem to be very productive or carrying her weight. Maybe all they need is a legitimate reason to get rid of her.

• Like 1
  • Author
venusishername

Thanks for the input. I plan to leave soon anyway for something much better. I would say something but considering I've got one foot out the door, I figure why bother? If they don't mind, I don't if I'm leaving anyway....

Plus I can't help but feel like a huge jerk because she's pregnant with her third child and told me yesterday she's in a lot of pain. Maybe I can ease up and just hope to leave soon...