How should I deal with this?

So I'm currently interning at this fashion house. It's a small fashion house managed by mostly men. Everything was going fine. Today the boss started a conversation with one of his store employees and he was talking about me (positively). Then the employee was like "Sarah, you mean the transvestite I see everyday?". I was standing right on front of them. The employee was serious, he was like "You mean the transvestite I see everyday with the headband on", trust me he was not joking. They were having a serious conversation.

I didn't say anything but then I decided to leave the job early because of this. I don't accept being treated like crap especially as only an intern. I'm sorry but his remark was way out of line and not work related. He crossed the line especially as he was serious.

Was I right to just drop everything and leave? It might seem immature and unprofessional but it genuinely hurt my feelings. It's a major lack of respect, I'm sorry.

Edited by ShiningMoon

Rarely do I tell a person to second guess their actions when such was the situation. You did what was right for you at that time. One can look outside in and tell you otherwise or give pointers for future times , yet its your right to walk away if need be under those circumstances.

Perhaps when things "chill" or level out it can be discussed in a manner that reflects your position and maintains regard for the internship. Best to you and sorry that you endured such a scenario.