Chronic Procrastinator

Hi all.

I need some help. Over the past few years, I have started to realize I am a chronic procrastinator. I do a stellar job, but I wait until the last minute and it is stressful. I often imagine how much better of a job I'd do if I started things earlier and planned. The other thing I'm noticing, is that I am frequently tardy. This is due to my lack of planning the night before.

How can I overcome this issue? Can someone provide strategies that may have worked for them or someone they know?

How can I overcome this issue? Can someone provide strategies that may have worked for them or someone they know?

Even if we provided strategies, you'd procrastinate in using them.

• Like 1

I do the same things. Part of it is a management "style" called just in time. There has been research that shows some people simply work better on deadline & the end result quality doesn't change.

As for morning, set your clothes out the night before. I never manage to do that but I'm OK if when I get in bed, before I go to sleep I at least visualize my next day's outfit . . . in total, outfit, shoes, hose if needed etc.

I also hired a professional organizer once who revamped my house & she actually made certain changes that made things easier.

• Like 1

It sounds like procrastination and tardiness are your personal habits. Get some books and information on changing habits, and try that. I changed being tardy by resetting my internal clock by thirty minutes...if I had to be somewhere at two p.m. I would continuously tell myself the appointment is at 1:30 p.m. It works. I am never late anymore. Repetition in reminding myself was key.

• Like 2
CrystalCastles

I also like to make lists. There's something very satisfying about crossing things off my list, and it makes me want to cross as many things off in one day as I can. So, make some lists!

I like the energy of the last minute too. If I find myself headed this way, I sit down with ONE task and a timer. Fifteen minutes at a time is what works for me-nothing else unless it is an emergency. One of these blocks does not get everything done, but a few of these blocks do. In a job that involves alot of multitasking, I will put two blocks together, and do this 2 or three times during the workday. If the tasks are of a shorter nature, same thing, or job environment does not allow for that, but 5 minutes blocks.