Accomodating Others Schedules

How much do you think someone should use their personal life to arrange their work schedule? I work with someone who constantly uses day care as a reason to hold meetings at times that are inconvenient to my work schedule, so I have asked to alternate times that work better for them with times that work better for me. However, lately, their schedule always seems to dictate what can and can't happen - is this a frequent thing in other places of business? Some times it is conferences, etc. that they are unable to attend too.

Is it during normal business hours? For us, while we understand that people have personal lives, they are required to be available during normal business hours. Is this a peer, a supervisor or subordinate? Can you go over their head to discuss the issue?

• Like 1

If I had a customer like that, and it were consistent, I'd fire them. Same with an employee. Business is business. We all have personal lives and responsibilities. If someone can't get organized enough to play with the big boy toys, then get out of the sandbox. Gender neutral.

• Author

They basically work 'required hours' only - cant get in earlier or stay a minute after the regular 8-4 work time, no weekend work (even from home).

If they have contracted work hours, and have no obligation to work in excess of them, then that's OK. For example, if I have a worker on a job contracted to work 8-4 and they leave exactly at 4 to get their kids, that's cool, even if the job runs past 4. I or someone else picks up and carries on. However, if they're consistently taking off at 2, regardless of whether they come back or not and finish their day, they'll get the boot, since I can't count on them.

It's up to the employer to work these things out. My colleagues tell me I'm a lousy employer because I'm inflexible. They're probably right! Work your hours and shut that damn iPhone off. I'm not paying you to text your girlfriend! :D

• Like 3
How much do you think someone should use their personal life to arrange their work schedule? I work with someone who constantly uses day care as a reason to hold meetings at times that are inconvenient to my work schedule, so I have asked to alternate times that work better for them with times that work better for me. However, lately, their schedule always seems to dictate what can and can't happen - is this a frequent thing in other places of business? Some times it is conferences, etc. that they are unable to attend too.

I understand things happen, but I especially hate it when people use their kids as an excuse to change everything around constantly or expect all kinds of special treatment like everyone should make an exception just because they have kids. I used to work with someone who got to leave early, because she said she had kids at home...her kids were like 10 and 14 and staying with her mother...so it's not like she had toddlers at home. However, the rest of us without kids had to stay. Not cool.

As a mother and grandmother, I'm more than willing to adjust my schedule to help working mothers. As a senior nurse on the ward and ER, I do it all the time.

Mothers with young children have a tough go at trying to balance life.

Is this an irritant to you or is this a real inconvenience? If it is impacting your own life negatively, then speak to her or a supervisor. If it is just an irritant then perhaps the principle of it is bothering you.

• Like 1

A co-worker like this would annoy me as well- especially since I've always been one to go above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to any job I've ever worked.

I work with people that refuse to do anything that isn't in their job description, and I work with people that will do anything that is asked of them. I also work with a fellow select few that consistently take initiative to go above and beyond what is required or asked of them.

My work does accommodate women with children. Who makes up for the extra work that creates for the rest of the team? People like me do of course. It is annoying, but if your work is willing to accommodate your co-worker, there isn't much you can do.

• Like 1

If such meetings are a necessity to get projects in motion or detail out important material, then each personnel needs to be co-operative of the time set. There is a difference between a habit forming and life circumstance change.

I raised two sons and many a time circumstances arose that took precedence over my work commitment, yet if it was a mandated meeting, I did my best to have a relative who could tend to my children til I could arrive. Its a balance of maintaining a roof over ones head and understanding the career tasks. Sounds to me this employee is out of balance on the responsible roles in work and home life. I would suggest that a balance of time be re-ascertained of what is productive to the project without the consistant change due to a personal obligation.

• Like 1
HokeyReligions

That drives me crazy too. Can you talk to her or a supervisor?

I know people with kids have it tough sometimes. If they're late picking their kids up from daycare it can cost money and risk losing their daycare. However; there are a lot of opportunities during a work day to schedule meetings.

Im having a scheduling problem with a contractor. She's got this attitude that the job is there to suit her. She missed work today knowing we had a kick-off meeting. I worked a 14 hour day doing my work and hers because their are deadlines to meet. She's been told what hours she's expected to work and it's not the hours she's been working. I made a special allowance for her for the past year because I had a larger staff and the project supported it. This new project doesn't have that luxury. I think she'll be let go this week if she doesn't comply.

I have to give my husband injections twice a day. The timing is off today because I worked so late. Im not going to put up with her schedule because she lives so far and its a long drive. She knew it when she accepted the job. Your inconsiderate scheduler should have to make necessary changes too.

• Like 1
That drives me crazy too. Can you talk to her or a supervisor?

I know people with kids have it tough sometimes. If they're late picking their kids up from daycare it can cost money and risk losing their daycare. However; there are a lot of opportunities during a work day to schedule meetings.

Im having a scheduling problem with a contractor. She's got this attitude that the job is there to suit her. She missed work today knowing we had a kick-off meeting. I worked a 14 hour day doing my work and hers because their are deadlines to meet. She's been told what hours she's expected to work and it's not the hours she's been working. I made a special allowance for her for the past year because I had a larger staff and the project supported it. This new project doesn't have that luxury. I think she'll be let go this week if she doesn't comply.

I have to give my husband injections twice a day. The timing is off today because I worked so late. Im not going to put up with her schedule because she lives so far and its a long drive. She knew it when she accepted the job. Your inconsiderate scheduler should have to make necessary changes too.

I share the same opinion as you HokeyR.

I don't mind my co-workers rescheduling or missing a project because of something urgent- but when it becomes commonplace to ask everyone else to work their schedule around yours- it becomes a problem.

• Like 1
As a mother and grandmother, I'm more than willing to adjust my schedule to help working mothers. As a senior nurse on the ward and ER, I do it all the time.

Mothers with young children have a tough go at trying to balance life.

Is this an irritant to you or is this a real inconvenience? If it is impacting your own life negatively, then speak to her or a supervisor. If it is just an irritant then perhaps the principle of it is bothering you.

I understand that...to a point. What the OP is saying is how it isn't fair when someone gets to take off work early all the time, due to daycare arrangements, especially if that person is being paid while they aren't working and others have to overcompensate for that person's absence all the time.

They basically work 'required hours' only - cant get in earlier or stay a minute after the regular 8-4 work time, no weekend work (even from home).

Okay, if they are a non-exempt employee, and able to receive overtime, this can impact their lack of flexibility.

At this point it really doesn't seem like an issue you can work out directly with them. I would communicate with their manager and find out if this is something that has been mandated (i.e. due to their non-exempt status), an issue the manager will/wants to change, etc. Their working style, accountability and flexibility is the responsibility of their manager. Depending on your level, go to their manager directly or express your concerns and frustrations to your boss and let them fight the battle for you.