Is every legit company searchable?

If a company is able to buy out a facility. Should they not be searchable in some data base? Are there any links? I've googled to no avail. I am in a different state than the company who bought the facility. I mentioned I searched the New York Corp website and nothing came up. Is there anything else that would show?

Even if they are new shouldn't they have some sort of info on the web? Or can a legit company be hidden and unsearchable?

They most likely aren't hidden, maybe they are using a DBA and the real corp name isn't used.

I'd almost bet the a D&B account exists for them if they are big enough or been in business for a while.

You should also be able to find or search for their business license in your state, those use both the corp and the DBA.

• Author
They most likely aren't hidden, maybe they are using a DBA and the real corp name isn't used.

I'd almost bet the a D&B account exists for them if they are big enough or been in business for a while.

Why wouldn't they use their real name? This is a corporation that is buying facilities, mostly rehab centers. They are renaming the facility from the original corporation's name for the facility. The original company is huge, large website etc...The new name of the facility is also not able to be googled and it is gone from the original company's data (that part makes sense because as of Dec 31st they were no longer with them)

Is it possible they are buying places like that to liquidate? It doesn't make sense if so.

• Author
You should also be able to find or search for their business license in your state, those use both the corp and the DBA.

But see there's nothing in our state about them either. Not even a newspaper article discussing the buy. There is a similar name as them in New York, but it's not the same.

• Author
If they are incorporated look in Delaware for their taxpayer ID (TIN).

Why Delaware? Sorry this is all Greek to me. How do I know if they are incorporated? We received nothing with this buyer's name. Only info we got was for the insurance change and that is listed with the "facility's" name not who owns them. That name is not searchable either. Isn't this weird?

Many corps don't go by their real name, KMART is Sears Holdings Corp.. etc etc...

Even foreign companies have to have a business license in order to do business in that state.

I'd bet that they have either just created the name and are getting a license for that or you haven't gotten the right name of the purchaser.

If they bought the company to dismantle it they would still have to have a business license in your state.

I would also think that the SOS records are not updated instantly so maybe their is a lag in the paperwork being filed to become searchable

Did the property sell with it ?

Certainly you could look online at the deeds to see if any property change hands or look for the UIC Filing

• Author
Many corps don't go by their real name, KMART is Sears Holdings Corp.. etc etc...

Even foreign companies have to have a business license in order to do business in that state.

I'd bet that they have either just created the name and are getting a license for that or you haven't gotten the right name of the purchaser.

If they bought the company to dismantle it they would still have to have a business license in your state.

I would also think that the SOS records are not updated instantly so maybe their is a lag in the paperwork being filed to become searchable

Did the property sell with it ?

Certainly you could look online at the deeds to see if any property change hands or look for the UIC Filing

How do I do that? (look up deeds) As of January 1st this company supposedly owns this facility under the corp name. What do I google? I have the old/new names address.

I meant the UCC form not the UIC form.

Type your county and the words property search into google and see if they are online with their public records.

If they are a privately held, close corporation they may not be searchable If you are trying to do the requisite due diligence before making a decision, enlist the aid of professionals -- lawyers & accountants -- to help you with your search.

• Author

I did that and it's under the old name, facility and corporation name. Mean anything? (thanks so much btw)

Corporate entities are generally searchable at the point of their corporate registration. If becomes a bit more complex when the owning entity is foreign. Of course, one must find the point of corporate registration.

If by 'facility' you mean dirt and buildings, and you know or suspect the purchasing entity's name, the county tax assessor and/or recorder can often supply clues. IME, my local sources update within a couple weeks. Location translates to legal description which translates to deed searches and tax information.

It's not uncommon for myself and business colleagues to own real estate 'indirectly', an example being through a LLC owning a position in a land trust which 'owns' the real estate (in trust). The LLC should be searchable but, sometimes, land trusts are hard to search without all the hard documents in hand to figure out who owns what. Multiply that by the magnitudes of resources and capital available to large corporations and, well, it can get complicated.

I've had to deal with some of this when attempting to discern which asset manager to contact, if the lender isn't forthcoming with that information, when dealing with real estate foreclosures before they go to the open market. A lot of nonsensical and arcane holders of title must be processed to get a contact number and human, in some cases. In others, it's easy.

Edited by carhill
grammar