My first job interview in two years! . . Extremely nervous, yet excited! . .

I have my first job interview tomorrow, I haven't had one in two years due to me concentrating on my schooling. I am extremely nervous, yet excited all at the same time. It's a position for a survey clerk, where they call people's houses, & ask them questions. I was just wondering, does anyone have any advice on how to stay cool, calm & collected?! . . Has anyone ever stumbled through words at an interview before?! Just any type of advice would be helpful! . . I want to do the best that I can to give them an over-all good impression. :o

Doesn't matter how much you psych yourself up beforehand, your iron fisted self-control is going to collapse the moment you walk in the door.

Most people will advise you to show up 15 minutes beforehand, and that it creates a good impression, but IMO thats a killer. That ten minutes of waiting for the interview really piles on the pressure. The only person who is gonna notics you came early is the receptionist. Unfortunately you usually have to fill in a couple of forms, so coming right on time isn't really an option.

What I will suggest, is to dress your absoluter best. Get your hair done, knock them out. You seem like an attractive girl, and you know that when you look good, your self-confidence automatically gets a boost.

Remember that you are going to and interview to get a job as an interviewer yourself. Ask intelligent questions, keep the initiative on your side, so that you don't feel interrogated. Speak slowly, and THINK before you speak. Use your hands expressively.

Come on guys! Help the cuti pie out with some more good advice.

EDIT: One more thing - dress to kill, but businesslike. You don't want to appear as a slutty airhead :)

• Author

All of your advice was incredibly helpful, but I will have to use that advice you have given to me for next time.

I went into the job interview confident, but . . I felt like I am not really quite sure if this is the type of job for me! . . It is a telephone survey clerk position I had applied for, but they seem like they don't give you a chance. She told me they expect the people who apply that when they are hired, that they should be really good at what they do. Well first thing when you hire someone who has never had experience in that position before you do need to give them a chance. I felt out of place, the women seemed to be looking me up & down towards the end like I wasn't good enough. I was dressed very business like, not a slu*tty airhead (that's not who I am.) and I feel I was very professional, I shook her hand, thanked her for her time, but she said she will call the people who got the job. By her tone of voice & the expression on her face I knew right there & then that I hadn't received it.

I'm feeling rather crummy. I understand I will go to several interview's & may not be hired for the position, but when you gave it your all you sometimes feel . . Just crappy about yourself as a person. But thanks again for the advice it cheered me up when I got home, though I wish I would have read it before-hand. :o

It's a pity you were interviewed by a woman....you know what I am saying here.

Many years ago we had a boarder staying at our house, he was a professional photographer, and he once told me something that has stayed with me all these years:

"Your face is your fortune".

Some women just naturally feel threatened or jealous when confronted with a better specimen. Women pick up on that animosity, and you definitely did. I've had this with same thing with other male interviewers, so I guess it's human nature.

However, I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch - I've had TERRIBLE interviews, while I got the job. Just remember that the company is keeping it's options open, and she will afterwards review all the CV's and interviews in her head.

It aint over, yet.

ShopingBarbie1984

Just be calm and be yourself I am sure everyone else above said that but, I have been in classes that teaches me for interviews thats how I got the job I have now it's a real nice job I have... :) Anyways I also want to give one more tip if someone else hasn't given it to you already I didn't feel like reading all of the advice. At the end of the interview give the person whoever is interviewing you a thankyou for interviewing me and taking the time card for bounus points that should help you out too. Dress very professionally even ask questions at the interview but, when you give the thankyou card if you do this make sure it goes to the interviewers seceratary or somebody important like her boss or something I don't know... Or walk out wait a few minutes then walk back and tell her you forgot to give her something that's what I have been told too do good luck on your job interview :D

ShopingBarbie1984

Oh whoops sorry just read I guess you didn't get the job I am sorry to hear about that, I hope my advice will help you next time. Some girls and women are just plane mean they can be I know I have been around the corner before even when I was looking for a job I am surprised I got hired on to the job I have now.

Eh, why should the employer give you a chance? It's your job to convince them that they would not be taking a chance with you working out. She should feel that you and your skill-set would be an ASSET to the company, not a liability. I'm assuming you were interviewed after your experience was reviewed, so she must have thought there was a chance you could do the work. You ask what they expect from the position (if they even know!) and convince them of why what you bring to the table more than meets the qualifications! You basically had no confidence in your own abilities during the interview, and you are now upset that she didn't give you a chance. Sorry but, that's silly. Also, don't randomly blame it on the female hiring manager's personal insecurities, whatever they may be - even more silly.

Next time when that happens, and you're unexperienced in that particular field, explain why your slightly different, broader, experiences make you an even better candidate for the job than someone who has experience that is more focused - limited. If it's still not working, try to figure out a way to prove you can do it. Good luck! Keep the faith... each interview is practice. :-D

Anyway, you haven't been rejected yet, you can always write a letter that says you've been thinking over what her needs for the position were and realized ____<insert all your amazing skills and talents>___ so you'd love to meet with her again and talk about how this exciting news might benefit her department. Most managers don't hire on the spot - she might have forgotten by now just how bad it went.

• Author

Um right . . .

I don't want to write a letter, nor do I want to apply for the company again. I didn't like what I heard or saw, I think there's a better position out there for me.

reasontosigh

I suspect also this was not a good place to be.

I have done survey work in the past, as a telephone interviewer. It is common in those types of positions for the interviewer to "audition" you by giving you a sample "script" to read. These people do realize that many folks have not done this sort of work before (a lot of times it's somebody's second job, or they are in school - things of that sort), and usually test your potiential to do the job that way.

Didn't they do this as part of your interview????? :confused:

• Author

Yes you are correct, they had done that as apart of the interview.

I just felt she was very rude with me, there was a man in the room with us, so there was two of us getting interviewed at the same time. But I felt the way she had treated me was very rude, I have never had someone treat me like that before. Just the way she spoke to me & looked me up & down, I began to feel uncomfortable. Just over-all it wasn't a good interview, & I wouldn't want to work for a company where they make me feel this way.

Anyways thank you all of you for the advice, I have taken it into consideration. Especially the firsts girls advice, she pretty much stated what I had done as apart of the interview, I learned quite a bit. ;)

reasontosigh
I wouldn't want to work for a company where they make me feel this way.

You're absolutely right - I wouldn't want to either.

Good luck on the next one!