Loyal employee, frenemy, or rat? (long)

I’m close friends with someone who has asked my opinion about something. (Kay and I have known each other since high school and shared a lot of life experience stories.)

Twenty years ago I moved away from our hometown, and Kay stayed and got a job with a large company. She became friends with Jan a co-worker……they socialized after work, but throughout the two years they worked together, the friendship had ups & downs.

Unfortunately Kay made the poor choice to get involved in a brief affair with the husband of another coworker. He ended it, and she fell apart emotionally. Since she also saw the guy’s wife every day, Kay started slacking off at work (absenteeism, crying spells, etc.) No one knew about the affair that had taken place………..until one night Kay went to the home of Jan crying on her shoulder and told her about the affair. (Jan promised not to tell anyone.) Kay started to see a therapistA few months later Kay’s work performance went downhill further. There was an emotional outburst with her boss, she took a few days off.

And when she returned to work, Kay was fired. She took some legal action against the company, but lost her case. However, she says that during the course of the legal battle she saw documents which revealed that the day after she “confided” to Jan about the affair, Jan went to Kay’s boss and told him…..the justification being that it involved the husband of another employee. :rolleyes: (The lid was kept on the situation, and Kay was not fired because of this.) Kay eventually left town, got a new job, and has done well personally and professionally

FAST FORWARD TO NOW

In a few weeks Kay is going back to the hometown for a family event. For whatever reason(s), she looked up a few people and one was Jan (who is still working at that same company). She chatted with Jan via phone, and said Jan invited her to stop by the office to say hello or whatever. (Of course, all the history was never brought up.)

Surprisingly, Kay seems excited about stopping in the place where she was fired from over 20 yrs ago. Her former boss is gone (deceased) and her ex-lover’s wife no longer works there. But still………I say let sleeping dogs lie and Jan was never really a friend.

Thanks for reading. Thoughts?

Edited by applej4

I agree with you but since Kay has a history of making bad choices, she will probably stop by that old company. You can't stop her.