Leaving the family business..

CautiousLoops

My husband's family owns their own home health care business. I've worked there for 5 years (we've been together for 7 years, just got married this fall). In the beginning I worked as a caregiver which I absolutely loved. I love spending time with the elderly and making a difference. Over time and after prompting from my husband and his family, I was brought into the office and started doing administrative work. I have been doing this for the past four years.

I do not like my job anymore. I find it mundane and boring and I wish I was back in the field working with the elderly. I was offered a position to work, privately, for a family for about 20 hours a week. I realize this is tough because since that is our business, some would say Im taking business away (to be clear this family was never a client of ours and does not know my affiliation to the business). I could probably start caregiving again through our business, however the pay is just about minimum wage through our company and they would pay me three times more what our business would pay me - which I am not ashamed to say makes a huge difference.

I am trying to figure out how to 1) talk to my husband (I have tried before and it seems that he feels I am not grateful for the opportunities his family has given me and that I am being unfair, sneaky and unappreciative. He doesn't understand why I am not happy since he says "we can do whatever we want") and 2) talk to his mom, the business owner, about maybe working for a family outside of our business. I don't want to hurt anyones feelings. I do not know if they would let me go part time.

The fact of the matter is, I am extremely unhappy and feel like I could be doing so much more than working at a computer 40 hours a week. It's also become very trying to live and work with my husband. We are constantly together and it would be so nice to have a break and do something else. I just feel like I have so much more to offer this world but this is a really tough situation to be in.

Any advice??

• Author
CautiousLoops

Is it really competition if the family is paying privately and doesn't want to go through a company?

I could suggest they go through a company but then my compensation is minimum wage and Im still attached to the company. I'd like to be able to do what I love on my own without being involved in the business.

It looks like that might not be possible, moral wise.

Yes, because that's income the family business isn't getting.

More importantly, from a very selfish POV, through the company presumably you get workers' compensation & somebody is taking out for your social security etc. When you get paid under the table you lose those protections.

• Author
CautiousLoops

You are right. It's a risk to go at it alone, without the job protection. & you are also correct, it is stealing potential business. Thank you for your input.