Best Attorney, how to find

Speakingofwhich

Looking for the best attorney to sue a large institution. Am sure I have a slam dunk case.

Live in fairly small town so shouldn't I go to larger city in same state to find the right attorney for the job?

Where do I begin?

Know people I could ask but don't want to tip my hand at this point. Many people in my community may have loyalties to this institution and I wouldn't have a way of knowing who they'd be.

Thanks!

My best suggestion would be networking so outside of that I am not sure. I guess do a google search and search the bar association website for your state.

Good luck.

First you have to define best.

Do you want a lawyer with a winning record? That could be deceptive because it could mean the lawyer only took cases s/he knew he could win & rejected the tough ones.

Do you want a lawyer who cost a lot of money? I don't know what your suit is about but most lawyers won't take most cases on a contingency fee where you don't pay unless you win; they want huge retainers & bill at high hourly rates.

Do you want a lawyer who is going to make you & your case a priority because you are the biggest case in the office? If the institution you are suing hires a large law firm, the smaller lawyer may not have enough resources. (Think Erin Brochovich)

Do you want a lawyer who has handled cases like yours before?

Do you want a lawyer who is also a law professor?

Do you want a lawyer who argues before your state Supreme Court or the US Supreme Court a lot?

You are going to have to comparison shop. As friends & family general Qs: Who is the best lawyer in the area? Why do you think that?

Call your state's lawyer referral service. Tell them something about the nature of the problem & ask for referrrals.

Check a book called Martindale Hubble.

If your State has a compilation called "Super Lawyers" check there. Understand that designation is half paid for & half a popularity contest/ It really doesn't have much bearing on competency

Check out a website called Law.com They have a referral feature.

If you can get access to a for pay legal website like Lexis or Westlaw, see who has ever brought a suit like yours in your state.

Once you get a list of names, check their websites & on line presence.

Hopefully the same name will pop up repeatedly & then you will know that is probably the best lawyer for you but you tow have to fit. You have to feel comfortable when you meet the person. Also ask if the lawyer you selected or an associate will be handling the case. It's usually cheaper if the associate does the grunt work.

• Like 2
  • Author
Speakingofwhich
First you have to define best.

Do you want a lawyer with a winning record? That could be deceptive because it could mean the lawyer only took cases s/he knew he could win & rejected the tough ones.

Do you want a lawyer who cost a lot of money? I don't know what your suit is about but most lawyers won't take most cases on a contingency fee where you don't pay unless you win; they want huge retainers & bill at high hourly rates.

Do you want a lawyer who is going to make you & your case a priority because you are the biggest case in the office? If the institution you are suing hires a large law firm, the smaller lawyer may not have enough resources. (Think Erin Brochovich)

Do you want a lawyer who has handled cases like yours before?

Do you want a lawyer who is also a law professor?

Do you want a lawyer who argues before your state Supreme Court or the US Supreme Court a lot?

You are going to have to comparison shop. As friends & family general Qs: Who is the best lawyer in the area? Why do you think that?

Call your state's lawyer referral service. Tell them something about the nature of the problem & ask for referrrals.

Check a book called Martindale Hubble.

If your State has a compilation called "Super Lawyers" check there. Understand that designation is half paid for & half a popularity contest/ It really doesn't have much bearing on competency

Check out a website called Law.com They have a referral feature.

If you can get access to a for pay legal website like Lexis or Westlaw, see who has ever brought a suit like yours in your state.

Once you get a list of names, check their websites & on line presence.

Hopefully the same name will pop up repeatedly & then you will know that is probably the best lawyer for you but you tow have to fit. You have to feel comfortable when you meet the person. Also ask if the lawyer you selected or an associate will be handling the case. It's usually cheaper if the associate does the grunt work.

Thank you so much, dOnnivain, for giving me this information to work with! Deeply appreciated!

• Like 1