Is this normal in the HR world?

Okay so previous thread I asked about a cover letter for an interview that was already set. Well I felt the interview would be set up in a day or so because they left me a message to that effect.

When I originally applied sans cover letter (I know horrible, but I did) They emailed me that they got my application and would be in touch if they are interested. I thought that was very professional but didn't think beyond that.

The HR person called Friday at 1pm. They left a message that if I'm still interested they would like to set up an interview. I called back within an hour as I was at work. I left a usual cheery message that I was calling back regarding the interview and please call me. I got no response, but no big deal this was Friday afternoon.

I spent a huge amount of the weekend researching their company. Learned of recent acquisitions and things that they do that are alternative methods in our field, I started to get intrigued even though I mentioned I was "eh.." about this.

So Monday around 1p after nothing I left another short voicemail to call. I still didn't think that was overkill because being the first exchange was on a Friday afternoon, I just figured we'd start fresh.

It's now Tuesday evening and nothing. I can't believe they didn't get the messages. But to not return them strikes me as really unprofessional. Is it possible in this short amount of time they interviewed and offered the job yesterday? But even still since they called me, wouldn't it be courtesy to let me know?

Is it normal to sometimes not get to return calls expediently in HR? Because this has never happened. Even when I've missed the initial HR calls and call back even if I have to leave a message, they usually get back that same day.

Can you tell I'm super frustrated? I just can't stand this whole HR game. Because even though I have their email from the original response, I don't think it would be right to send an email on top of it. Even though that could be construed and really interested, it would probably come off as bugging which is b.s. because I wouldn't be "bugging" if they wouldn't have called to set up an interview that they didn't follow through in the first place!

My friends think it wouldn't hurt and could help, but I think "corporate" even though that's not my field, but I have previous experience in, has an expected bunch of b.s. hoops you have to jump through and protocols that are followed in the HR realm. It's almost like they are testing you and one wrong move....eliminated.

I'd just like an effin' break to get out of my current horrible job. I can't stand head games.

• Author

They emailed me! Just now, which I'm shocked because it's way past business hours here. Anyway she wanted a day/time via email and it will be set up! She said we "keep" missing each other and I find that odd because I didn't get any missed calls.

I can't believe things I've read though how if you miss a call they move on. Maybe in the way of temp jobs or agencies. This is a pretty specialized position and though I am sure I am not the only one, I'm pleased to still be in the running.

HR stuff still irritates me though.

Are you dealing with HR or recruiting (which can be a subset of HR). Yes you should get a call back immediately but sometimes the person can't do it that quickly due to other issues going on. It is going to vary by company and how many open reqs are on each recruiters plate.

I am glad you got a call back. :D