How to quit a volunteering job?

I've been volunteering at a local animal shelter for a couple of months now.

It's a really hard physical job, a lot of poop-cleaning, wiping the floors, changind doggie-beds, well you get the idea. At first I really enjoyed it because I felt I was doing something useful, but lately I stopped feeling so comfortable:

1) It seems that our supervisor singles me out and sends me to do the less fun jobs alone in some far away corner of the shelter, while the rest of volunteers work together in small groups. (Ok, maybe I'm unfair and it wasn't intentional.)

2) No one says thank you. (Though maybe I'm selfish to expect that.)

3) I don't think I agree with the safety measures. For instance, last week I had to clean the poop in all the rooms. I did all of them on my own, apart from one which had big dogs in, because I knew one of the alsatians could be aggressive to new people, and in my 2 months there I never was in the room with the big dogs. So I called a guy who worked there longer to walk in the room with me. He agreed. The room is separated into two parts by a semi-wall. He stayed in the front part of the room and I went further. I thought he'd hold the alsatian or put him on a leash or something, so I turned around and resumed the poop cleaning when I heard barking and in a second I felt something bite my leg. Of couse it was the alsatian. My co-worker was distracted playing with other dogs, he didn't even notice that, and didn't really come running when I shrieked. The alsatian was running around me and barking, then running to the other side of the room, then back to me, etc. I was really scared and started calling my co-worker and he just turned and was like "Huh? What's going on there? Why are you shrieking?". He didn't even try to help me and hold the dog. I had to make my way out of the room waving a shovel in front of me. When I was near the door finally my co-worker took the dog by the leash, though he started patting him on the head (?!?) which i think will only make the dog think what he did was right.

He didn't bite through my thick jeans though, so I thought it wasn't a big deal - I didn't want to get the dog in trouble. But when I returned home I saw a big bruise and a bloody scratch where the dog got me. :\ And now the thought of cleaning that room again really bothers me. I will most definitely refuse cleaning it next time, but tbh I feel like quitting all together.

4) Soon I'll start a course and I'll have a part-time job, so I will have significantly less time. Technically, I could fit the volunteering in, but, eh, I'd rather volunteer at a library now or do something more peaceful.

The thing is I feel sort of guilty about quitting. I mean, there are a lot of people and dogs I like and I will miss them, and don't want to let them down or be rude to them or something, but I think it's better for me to quit this particular thing.

What is the best way to do it?

Quit a volunteer job like you would a real job -- in writing, on paper, handed to the manager with two weeks notice.

Part of the reason you volunteer is to resume build. Don't screw that up with an overly dramatic unprofessional exit.

Funny you mention it, I am going to be volunteering soon at an animal shelter and I hope I don't encounter this. Anyways, if you really want to continue doing this, you could bring it to the attention of whomever manages all volunteers for this organization. Usually there are many positions you can fit into, try that out. Where I am volunteering, I would be able to work my own schedule as long as I can dedicate 8-10 hours of my time per month. Perhaps you may be able to do the same and maybe work one day a week for a few hours. Bottom line is how passionate you feel about this cause. If you simply do not want to do it anymore, you can simply say you have a lot of pressing obligations at this time and you will not be able to commit to volunteering anymore. Or you could try and see if there are ways you can present these issues to possibly resolve them, to make your volunteering more enjoyable.

• Like 1

In my experience, people will almost never call volunteer places to get info about you (unless you stress a particular volunteer position in your resume), so while I would be professional I don't think you need to give notice or spend too much time stressing about it.

A short email will do it.

I'm sure you can find organizations - even other animal welfare ones - more worthy of your time.

Volunteer work doesn't go on a resume

My volunteer work is on my resume.

My past 2 employers both brought it up during the interviews. If nothing else, it's a great conversation topic with them. They seemed impressed and it never hurts.

OP - just submit a 2 weeks notice

• Like 2
It shouldn't because the purpose of volunteering is to help others not expect something in return for volunteering. You are not supposed to broadcast that you are helping someone.

It's not about "hey I'm broadcasting that I helped someone" - it's about showing that you have work experience in a certain field. You show dependability, you are able to stick to a schedule, meet certain demands.

It's a job, you're just not getting paid. It should be treated just a seriously as a job.

I volunteered in a shelter 4 hours a day twice a week for a year and a half when I was younger. Putting this on my resume helped me land my first job and I now leave it on there as a conversation topic.

• Like 1
Some people don't even give that for a actual job

Which is complete garbage.

It's not hard to just act like a professional human being *shrug*

• Like 2

T390

Not all volunteering is done for charitable reasons. Organizations that benefit from free labor understand that the cost to them may be to help somebody build a resume. If the applicant is just entering the job market & has no meaningful experience most employers would rather see unpaid work which can show that the person is a reliable team player than nothing at all. The volunteer work also show that the person did more than sit on their butt.

As you get older, relevant experience in your field is of more paramount importantance but my resume still contains a list of many charitable organizations whose boards of trustees I sit on.

Whether the OP names the group on his/her resume or not, she will still benefit from giving that organization standard business notice of 2 weeks. It's common courtesy. Perhaps one day one of her bosses from that volunteer position will be able to network her into a real job. Better she should leave a mature, responsible image.

• Like 3
HokeyReligions

I'm a long term animal shelter volunteer. Talk to your volunteer coordinator. Volunteering is crucial and ensuring the safety and "fulfilment" of volunteers is crucial too.

I include my volunteering on my resume for several reasons. One (personal greed) is an ice breaker for conversation and allows me some subtle 'marketing' for my charity. It also speaks to the kind of person I am and I want to reflect that because its important to me.

So when someone gets a job from volunteering what happens then? Do they stop volunteering or do they continue?

It is entirely up to them & their schedule. They can bow out of the volunteer job as long as they do so with some semblance of professionalism which IMHO requires notice.

Volunteer work doesn't go on a resume

if you are not getting paid then it's not a job. Volunteering something someone does that they enjoy and shouldn't be treating it like a job.

And what job did volunteering at a shelter help you get?

You're missing the point. It's not always about the specific job, but about showing that you're involved in the community.

Volunteerism is commonly considered for lots of professional positions. Law firms, for example. Doesn't mean you'll get the job, but depending on the person doing the screening it can be a factor in getting an interview.

And it can really help when you're writing a reference letter for someone. I refer to people's volunteer experience all the time.

• Like 1
Well a unemployed person is unable to volunteer because

1. it takes away from applying to jobs

2. The travel costs to get to the organization to volunteer

I'm actually wondering if you are PhillyDude in disguise. A lot of volunteer jobs are only a few hours a week out of your schedule. I'm sure you can work interviews around your schedule. Where I'm volunteering, I can easily remove myself from the schedule if I cannot volunteer for some reason that day. We also choose the days we come in. Volunteering is great for many reasons, a passion to help your community, work experience, a reference. Yes, unemployed people should volunteer if they have no other obligations (such as going to school). It helps explain gaps in resume and shows you've been doing SOMETHING other than sitting at home and spamming resumes into cyberspace. It can also impress the right manager. Your attitude is terrible. Regarding #2, the great thing about volunteering is that gas costs and other things relevant to your volunteer needs are TAX DEDUCTABLE, which is great when it comes time for tax season. :cool: If you get accepted to a job and you absolutely need the money asap, most places will understand if you are able to give some heads up. But it's not required just as you're not obligated to give a paid job notice either. Most shelter volunteering isn't a 40 hour workweek, but more like a day or two out of the week type thing, so I wouldn't say you have to give notice if you are not able to.

Edited by pink_sugar
This is just my opinion but I think it's better to do it on the weekend that way you won't miss anything that is posted. What if something is posted while you are at the Volunteer job and u miss out of the opportunity?

So it's best to leave the weekdays for job searching

Umm, since most applications and job postings are done online these days, cant you easily do that before and after your volunteer work? You cannot honestly expect to sit at the computer all day and wait for job postings, right?

That's why I do mon to fri, that's how I got 3 interviews.

I have 6 sites, Four of them I check at 9, 11, 1, 3, and 5. And the other 2 sites I check at 9, 3, and 6

Interesting. Well, I never did any of that and I had multiple interviews lined up almost every week. A lot of times employers don't get back to you right away and they take their time sifting through resumes and having multiple interviews before they decide on a candidate, so I wouldn't let that be a pressing factor that keeps you tied to the computer.

• Like 1
That's true, I guess I just want to apply right away it's a job I really want like the interview I had last tuesday. That was a job as soon as I saw posted my eyes lit up and I applied right away lol

Plus I want to get to it before my competition which is why I never went to any job fairs

Yeah, I was also working 30 hours a week at my previous job while applying and interviewing elsewhere. It was rough, but I finally landed a good job! Job fairs also primarily only seem to be marketing (independent sales or commission only) or retail based.

• Like 1
if you are not getting paid then it's not a job. Volunteering something someone does that they enjoy and shouldn't be treating it like a job.

And what job did volunteering at a shelter help you get?

You are SEVERELY misguided in your ideas about what a volunteer job is, and you are SEVERELY ignorant in regards to business etiquette.

Volunteer work absolutely CAN go on a resume. Along with paid jobs this boosts your experience and your knowledge in a certain field.

Some volunteer work isn't done just for fun, or to receive recognition or not for it. And it absolutely should be considered as a job, payment or not.

Are you aware that 69+% of firefighters in the United States are volunteer? Do you think they sit around saying, "Meh. Who cares if we come in, or don't come in, or if we decide to just get up and leave. After all, it's not a real job."

No. They take their JOBS very seriously. Tons of people volunteer because they want to fill up any spare time they have after a regular 9-5 job. It takes a certain kind of person to give freely of their time without demanding compensation and it's something they should be proud of, something to take seriously, and something to put on a resume to say, "hey, yeah I do this. It's another thing I'm knowledgeable about."

Not being paid doesn't make it any less of a job.

And it's not about what other people do, and the fact that they may not give 2 weeks notice at a paid job. That's not the proper and correct way to navigate the professional world. It's irresponsible and honestly, if the bosses of those people are ever contacted, those people just cemented a negative recommendation.

So OP, yes. Let them know that in 2 weeks you will have to focus on your career and will no longer be able to volunteer any longer but you've loved your time there. And feel free to toss that on your resume towards the bottom.

Well a unemployed person is unable to volunteer because

1. it takes away from applying to jobs

2. The travel costs to get to the organization to volunteer

1. No it doesn't at all. A person can designate a certain amount of time in the morning to look for jobs, volunteer for a little bit, come home and resume the job search.

Secondly, volunteering doesn't have to happen every single day for 8 hours a day. It's typically only a few hours per week.

2. The travel cost? What travel cost? Gas? Most people volunteer places that are close to them. Also, a person who is unemployed could very well be collecting unemployment. Tossing a $20 to put some gas in the car isn't a huge deal.

• Like 1

However, if a boss isn't treating you well, you have no obligation to give 2 weeks notice. You do not have to use them as a reference and you can easily put no to contact. If someone happens to be contacted for a reference, you should only put down those you know who will give you a good one. If a potential employer does contact a previous employer/volunteer boss for verification purposes, employers cannot say anything but verify your employment dates, salary and etc for fear of a lawsuit.

Of course volunteer work goes on a resume. It's work experience, whether it's paid or not it contributes to your work ethic. Also, a lot of interviewers will ask if you've done any volunteering.

Quit the job the way you would any other job.

If a interviewer ask me about volunteer work I would end the interview and walk out.

Well, if it's on your resume, they are going to assume it is up for discussion. If it relates to the work you are applying for, they will of course ask about it or if it's for a passionate cause this might be a plus for you.

Volunteering shows a person has an interest outside of themself.

It shows they may have compassion, a generous spirit and intend to help others.

It shows they are more diverse and willing to do more than work.

Yes, it goes on a resume.

It's optional it doesn't have to go on a resume.

Of course! Everything on a resume is "optional"!!!

Heck, I know people that LIE all over their resume! I guess that's optional too!

If a interviewer ask me about volunteer work I would end the interview and walk out.

That's fine for you. I'm proud of my volunteer work & am generally happy to talk about it because I made a difference somewhere along the way.

I thought the point of this thread was that for someone who has never had a job, putting the volunteer work on the resume shows commitment, reliability & the ability to be a team player.

Why couldn't someone show commitment, reliability, and the ability to be a team players at previous jobs?

Volunteer work on a resume is a BONUS not something that is mandatory to be on their to get a call for a interview

They can & should but if they never had a job the volunteer work is a good substitute.