i quit my job oh my god

Hello. Okay, so last year i had this evaluator who was awful. And really I don't think he was a good evaluator at all. I teach small children and once he criticized me for letting them play with blocks. Hello. But I am open to constructive criticism and growth, so I gave it a chance. he never once gave me any good ideas or inspiration. she is a very stoney person. So, we butted heads all year but I tried very hard to improve my teaching. Well, at the end of the year he is telling me "we have come a long way" and honestly I have no idea what he is talking about. So I am off for the summer, trying to rejuv for the new year but I keep having these nightmares about him. After a while i decided to quit my job. Now I have no job and I may not be able to get another one in time for school to start. My hub is freaking out b/c he does not make enough, almost but not quite. I am thinking maybe now I can try another career? I have a degree in english and i'd like to do something that involves writing (really i'm a good writer, just not trying right now). But I have small children and I want to be home with them in summer. I feel like I have no time because school starts aug. 15. what should i do? try really hard to get another teaching job or just let it all go and try to look for another career? I feel so stuck I am not doing anything at the moment. I feel paralyzed and scared. Please help.

StartingAgain

Quitting your current job without another to go to was rash and irresponsible of you. Maybe you didn't like your evaluator, but you could have stuck it out for another year and started looking for a new position. You say your husband is freaking, which indicates that he had no idea that you were quitting your job. You are a married woman and you don't get to make such important decisions without your husband's buy-in. You've put your family's finances in jeopardy and now you have to do whatever is necessary to rectify this situation.

You are a teacher, though. Do you have your certificate? If so, unless you live in an unusual area that's just glutted with teachers, your school district will have openings that they will be desperate to fill. I live in a county with a population of 780,000 that's in a metropolitan area of 4.7 million, and all the counties have a hard time finding enough teachers. School here resumes on August 8th and the county still has 100s of unfilled positions. They will fast-track the hiring of tearchers in order to have someone in those classrooms.

The average life span of a new teacher in the classroom is only 3-4 years anymore. Most new teachers drop out of the profession, so your disenchantment is undrstandable. But career changes have to be carefully considered. If you are asking yourself what you can do with your English degree, you aren't ready to make a career change.

Assuming you have burned bridges at your last site, may I first suggest a rebuilding (include a sprinkler system) program. Look at other populations you could teach. Are you fortunate and have a second language? Teaching english, street english or formal english is valuable.

Go with what you know. Capitalize on your year of learning the skill of teaching and run with that, unless you know you made a fundamental mistake in choosing the teaching profession.

Trust me on this: serious writing, money/hubby stress, summertime, and babies do not belong in the same paragraph.

Good bye, Mrs. Chips