First Real Job=boredom!

I am a recent college grad, age 25. I've always held a job out for a long time. I recently began my first REAL full-time job about 4 months ago. Already, I sort of don't like it. For the most part, it's boring. I have a few routine things and after that I do nothing. I am a receiptionist. The phones aren't that busy. There's nothing much to do all day. I don't feel comfortable shopping online or browsing the web either. It's so dead, i become comatosed where if they do give me something, I've been bored for so long, I'm just "out of it". I'm not saying some days aren't busy and there are never stressful times (nor do I want to be worked to the bone), but it's boring. What else bothers me is many of the people there are foreigners and don't speak my language well at all. Not to mention if I were to move up there, the normal hours are insane! The average person there works from 9:00AM - 11:00 PM! Plus they work WEEKENDS (all day long!). So if I ever move up, it'll go from boredom, to working so hard, I'll never see my loved ones again! I feel stupid looking for another job so early and like a failure and a flake. What should I do? Do I start looking elsewhere?

Ok this may be far fetched, but can you take on more work? Can you take on some advertising or marketing for the business? Find ways to improve the business, run reports, do studies and things like that. Do targets to find our where most of your clientel derives. Do follow-ups. Ask other people if you can help with projects. Offer to help anyone with anything. Clean if you get that bored. They have to know you are bored, and that may not be good. =/ Sorry, I don't know what kind of business you're in...so it's kinda hard.

Just don't let them think you're not an asset to that company!

YellowLioness

Well Katie, you and I are in exactly the same boat. I graduated in '03 with a Bachelors in English Writing and Poli Sci. I'm now working as a receptionist who is pretty bored. I'm not happy at my job either, really. This isn't where I want to end up, or anything.

I mean... I do other things... I dispatch calls and do some collections work, take care of sick leave requests, stuff like that...

Most of the time I'm here on LS. lol.

Sometimes things are hectic, but most of the time it's not like that.

My bosses aren't particularly nice to me, as they make me feel ignorant most of the time, when I've been with the company for less then two months. For example, today:

My boss: Cam, make sure you give me notes of who while I am on the phone. If it is one of our techs, have them hold until you give me the note, then I'll take it from there. I'll tell you whether to transfer to voice mail.

Me: Alrighty (smile)

Call comes in

Me- R****, how may I help you?

Caller: This is Jim Massengil. Is Tim available? (Tim being my boss).

Me: He's on the phone, Mr. Massengil. If you hold on, I'll give him a note and tell him your on the other line.

Jim: Oh no, that's o.k. Tell him I'll call him back.

Me: O.K. I'll run and give him the note.

(As soon as I get the note ready and into Tim's office, Tim gets off the phone)

Me: Hello Tim, Jim Massengil called.

Tim: Well well well, you forgot didn't you? You were SUPPOSED to keep him on the line while I was on the phone.

Me: (feeling very awkward, stupid, and embarrased) Well, he told me to tell you that he would just call you back.

Tim: Ah, well that's alright.

Me: (Thinking, not speaking) Wow, I need a new job already!

This is just one instance. Anyway, Katie, don't feel too awful. It's your first job. That's how I'm trying to look at it. Ask for things to do. Clean, be helpful and sweet. If they don't give you any work, just do what you can.

Yellow

Yeah, welcome to the real world. :)

Work sucks! Most of my jobs have been soooo boring.

I think you should find another job, but you should take your time so you make sure you get a better one this time. Start reading about potential careers and the responsibilities of their jobs until you figure out what you really WANT to do! Then go on interviews, but do not accept a job until you are sure of what you want.

I know you're worried about looking flaky, but believe me, you can explain anything. You'll just tell your potential employers that you took this job so you could work while looking for the perfect career, which just happens to be the job you are interviewing for.

So, just take your time and do it right the second time. No one will care about this little blip on your resume.

• Author

I'm sitting here now doing nothing. I feel like sccreaming! Watching every minute go by seem like and HOUR!! I asked someone to give me a project, it took me about 10 minutes. This is really sad. I mean, I am VERY thankful I have a job, that's what's important, but I need something to do instead of thinking by myself in the corner! Thanks for the advice guys. Think I'll take it! Yellow...your current work life sounds EXACTLY LIKE MINE AS WE SPEAK! What a shocker! I thought receiptionists were really busy. Guess if the phones dead, NOPE!