Dear Hiring Manager....

Is that an okay salutation for a competitive world? I know conventional wisdom would be to address the actual person.

However in my field, more than likely it's going to be fielded through a HR person first. In this particular company it gets even more convoluted. For example, the actual location that this job is posted for is different than the I.D. letters that they give for the location. Which tells me it's "run" by one part of the company which may or may not be it's main hub but there very likely is a person at the job location that is in charge of hiring for that department.

I have a generic phone number that covers all of the 7 different locations but I'm not sure if it's hokey to call and ask based on this job ad, who is the hiring manager. That was my original plan but I did exactly that with a completely different focus (specialty) but for the same company. I wonder if maybe they thought it was weird that I went to all the trouble of finding out who the manager was vs just sending a generic cover letter, or maybe it just wasn't the right fit at the time. Honestly I wasn't the best qualified for the position and as things go, it wouldn't have been the best fit as I turned out to not like that specialty as much as I like the current one I'm applying for. But I'm really interested in this one, it's perfect hours and the specialty I really enjoy.

Thanks for any advice.

I don't think it's weird to ask who the hiring manager is. You could just tactfully ask who is in charge of the hiring as you're interested in a job position and would like to learn more. Worst thing that could happen is that they say no, but it never hurts to try.

• Like 2
  • Author
I don't think it's weird to ask who the hiring manager is. You could just tactfully ask who is in charge of the hiring as you're interested in a job position and would like to learn more. Worst thing that could happen is that they say no, but it never hurts to try.

Thank you! Would that also apply if I address it to the hiring manager but it would go to an HR person first? (that HR wouldn't be insulted and/or think it was presumptuous) In my field like I mentioned HR gate keeps everything and then if you're a suitable candidate they set up the 1st interview.

It's not that I totally bypassed them the first time, but I applied as normal then I sent an additional letter to the hiring manager of the actual department (in addition to the original resume submission that HR got) so I wasn't sure if that was overkill.

Is that an okay salutation for a competitive world? I know conventional wisdom would be to address the actual person.

But I'm really interested in this one, it's perfect hours and the specialty I really enjoy.

Thanks for any advice.

I think it's way more important to expand on what I highlighted in a cover letter.

I've been reading resumes and hiring people for years, and I like seeing someone expand on why they would be a good fit.

"To whom it may concern" works just as well. Go into specific detail in your cover letter what skills you have that would be an asset to the job. Furthermore, tailor your resume to fit the requirements of the job you are applying for.

I used to change my resume for every single job I applied for. Under my work history, I'd list relevant work history right at the top- regardless of time gaps. Employers don't want to sift through irrelevant work histories in order to get to the relevant experience.

You can land a job with less experience and education simply by presenting a better cover letter and resume than someone else. Enthusiasm goes a long way- and a cover letter is a great platform to showcase your level of interest.

Edited by D-Lish
  • Like 1
  • Author
I think it's way more important to expand on what I highlighted in a cover letter.

I've been reading resumes and hiring people for years, and I like seeing someone expand on why they would be a good fit.

"To whom it may concern" works just as well. Go into specific detail in your cover letter what skills you have that would be an asset to the job. Furthermore, tailor your resume to fit the requirements of the job you are applying for.

I used to change my resume for every single job I applied for. Under my work history, I'd list relevant work history right at the top- regardless of time gaps. Employers don't want to sift through irrelevant work histories in order to get to the relevant experience.

You can land a job with less experience and education simply by presenting a better cover letter and resume than someone else. Enthusiasm goes a long way- and a cover letter is a great platform to showcase your level of interest.

Thank you! That's very helpful. I do plan to write an excellent cover letter, I've been told previously that I have a great gift in writing (though you wouldn't necessarily guess that on LS as I don't usually put that sort of creativity and certainly not the professionalism that I utilize for work or when I need to apply myself!) So it helps to know that is more important the body of the letter, I was concerned with offending someone without meaning to.

Have you seen the cover letter catch of putting a p.s.? I got an email probably because I'm registered with so many job boards, but it seemed weird to me. But they claim it gets your foot in the door better because it stands out more than other candidates. I seem to think it's a scam and how would someone take a candidate seriously that puts p.s.! But maybe it's the new thing, stranger things have landed people jobs.

This. I would worry less on who you're addressing it to and more about the content of the cover letter.

If you're lucky enough to find a company you know that is hiring and you apply directly, do everything in your power to find out who you are sending a resume to. Starting your cover letter with "To whom it may concern" or "Good morning" is a one way ticket to the Deleted bin of their inbox.

These days, you're usually dealing with a recruiter whose job it is to sell your resume to hiring managers for various companies. It's like having a Hollywood agent, but for your sorry career. :p You are forbidden in these instances to even find out what company they are sending your resume to, let alone have contact with the people you're going to work for.

It's stupid, but hey - they're not the ones who need a job.

I have received several calls when i used "to whom it may concern"
You must have some incredible skills/experience, because I've always been told never do that. May I ask what your trade is?
I have received several calls when i used "to whom it may concern"

I agree, unless the job is a referral or you have been collaborating with someone at the company who tells you who to forward the resume to, most people aren't going to know the name of the hiring manager(s). I have gotten many calls and interviews with no problem by using "to whom it may concern" and also in a different profession than the OP.

Edited by pink_sugar
And if you are responding to a ad on craigslist and it doesn't list a person's email inside the ad then what else would anyone use but "To whom it may concern?
I hate when they do that.

In those situations you have no alternative but to greet them with "Good morning" which sounds less formal than "To whom it may concern". The latter phrase sounds very turn of the century, and a little cold, like you're writing to the complaint department of a store :laugh: It's an effort, and it's never been rewarded for me, not once.

So, your sales skills and experience must be off the scale. Development is my trade (though TV production/post-production is my dream weekend job) or at least, I need it to be. So I have to go through sites that cater to that skill, and they're always anonymous. Even a headhunter is preferable because I know the agents I have contacted, and I can actually call them and talk to a person.

It's funny, they say they want you to go out of the way to know the company you are applying to and everyone who works there, and then they do everything in their power to block you from knowing anything about them. It's worse than dating :laugh:

(TBF Craigslist is the bottom of the barrel)