Afraid to start on a new job...

So I was interning at a company for 1.5 months - I am a fresh grad btw and i received no training whatsoever on my job. Ii had to learn everything by myself and when my boss goes on annual leave for 2 weeks - i made a mistake - not a very big one and things got blown up and my big boss asks me to leave because they want someone with more experience. I find this totally ridiculous because i am obviously new to this, i get no training and they tive me no form of compensation. I have to admit i was really stressed in the job because tenmistakes i made in the job were always blown up and they made me feel horrible about it. I left anyway and now here I am - looking for a job. I know its not my fault i was 'fired' - but ifeel scared of working again - I am beginning to doubt myself and think whether its really my fault.. Sigh. Staying at home being jobless really sucks when all my friends have jobs and some days i feel absoultely a waste of space.

ForeverHopeful1

Dont get too discouraged. Look at it this way, you just gained 1.5 months of experience you didnt have. Try to learn from it and dont beat yourself over this.

HokeyReligions

As a manager I expect my people to make some mistakes. I also expect them to ask questions and tell me if they don't understand something. I fired several people because they continued making the same mistakes and didn't learn. I kept the people willing to learn and ask questions and give opinions. If you have a manager unwilling to train you then you have a bad manager.

Ask questions and don't be afraid to speak up if you don't understand. And don't forget to thank or compliment your manager - we like to know we are doing a good job too:) some of us have bad managers ourselves which make it difficult to BE a good manager.

• Like 1
  • Author
Dont get too discouraged. Look at it this way, you just gained 1.5 months of experience you didnt have. Try to learn from it and dont beat yourself over this.

Yeah, trying yo be hopeful and positive. Thanks! :)

• Author
As a manager I expect my people to make some mistakes. I also expect them to ask questions and tell me if they don't understand something. I fired several people because they continued making the same mistakes and didn't learn. I kept the people willing to learn and ask questions and give opinions. If you have a manager unwilling to train you then you have a bad manager.

Ask questions and don't be afraid to speak up if you don't understand. And don't forget to thank or compliment your manager - we like to know we are doing a good job too:) some of us have bad managers ourselves which make it difficult to BE a good manager.

You sound like a great manager! Will take your words to mind - thanks!

What you have experienced is not uncommon at all. Plenty of people out there who get poor training or no training at all and then are expected to miraculously know everything. When the employee makes a mistake because of the poor training, they blame it all on them.

Just be glad you don't work there anymore.

• Like 1
  • Author
What you have experienced is not uncommon at all. Plenty of people out there who get poor training or no training at all and then are expected to miraculously know everything. When the employee makes a mistake because of the poor training, they blame it all on them.

Just be glad you don't work there anymore.

That's true. I hope I am treated better in my next job!! Thanks so much for the advice ;)

I had to train myself at my last job, but it was also relatively low stress unless my boss was a jerk. Anyways, summon up that courage and know things WILL be better next time. Feeling intimidated to move forward won't get you to where you want to go. You'll feel much better once you realize your next job most likely will not be the same way.

I had a job where I was treated poorly because of poor training. They eventually gave me no working hours and I was forced to quit. I never looked back. You won't either.

• Like 1
  • Author
I had to train myself at my last job, but it was also relatively low stress unless my boss was a jerk. Anyways, summon up that courage and know things WILL be better next time. Feeling intimidated to move forward won't get you to where you want to go. You'll feel much better once you realize your next job most likely will not be the same way.

I had a job where I was treated poorly because of poor training. They eventually gave me no working hours and I was forced to quit. I never looked back. You won't either.

Yeah, i guess being jobless adds on to the misery. I need to be positive and

COnfident that I ll be fine. Thanks Sugar!! :)

My husband and I have been there and it sucks. Stay positive and be persistent with your job hunt like it's your full time job. You're bound to find something soon! ;)

• Like 1
  • Author
My husband and I have been there and it sucks. Stay positive and be persistent with your job hunt like it's your full time job. You're bound to find something soon! ;)

You are my lucky charm! I finally got a job - that too a great ine and a well paying one!! Thank you so much for the advice guys! Feeling nervous about new job now...

• Like 2

Awesome! That was super quick! I recently found a job too and was really nervous...all for nothing! It was great the second I walked in the door on my first day. Not missing my old job at all. :) Best of luck to you, you'll do great!

• Like 1
  • Author
Awesome! That was super quick! I recently found a job too and was really nervous...all for nothing! It was great the second I walked in the door on my first day. Not missing my old job at all. :) Best of luck to you, you'll do great!

Thank you so much! Awh, thats great that you like your job!! :) Hope you continue to ? Will keep you posted to how it goes!

Thank you so much! Awh, thats great that you like your job!! :) Hope you continue to ? Will keep you posted to how it goes!

That's great you found work so quickly!

Just remember, even though you don't feel that getting fired from your last job was your fault- it's still a learning experience, and you should carry that experience forward.

Learn to speak up if you aren't getting the guidance and training you need to flourish.

I have a lot of management experience- and there have come times where I have had to learn how to "manage a bad manager". Sometimes the people above you suck at what they do- but knowing how to deal with that issue is a good skill to have.

• Like 1
  • Author
That's great you found work so quickly!

Just remember, even though you don't feel that getting fired from your last job was your fault- it's still a learning experience, and you should carry that experience forward.

Learn to speak up if you aren't getting the guidance and training you need to flourish.

I have a lot of management experience- and there have come times where I have had to learn how to "manage a bad manager". Sometimes the people above you suck at what they do- but knowing how to deal with that issue is a good skill to have.

I have been jobless for a month, actually. But totally definitely agree with what you said, I need to learn from the previous job amd try not to make mistakes. Its important tp be positive when starting om a new job. Thanks so much!! :)

I have been jobless for a month, actually. But totally definitely agree with what you said, I need to learn from the previous job amd try not to make mistakes. Its important tp be positive when starting om a new job. Thanks so much!! :)

A really good skill to have is to understand what motivates people. You can have a really bad manager, but if you know how to endear yourself to them, you can survive a firing over someone that doesn't do their job as well as you do.

• Like 2
A really good skill to have is to understand what motivates people. You can have a really bad manager, but if you know how to endear yourself to them, you can survive a firing over someone that doesn't do their job as well as you do.

Or if your boss is incompetent and doesn't actually want to do any work themselves. True story at my last job. There was a lot of turnover and my boss probably didn't lay me off for the same reason.

skydiveaddict
but ifeel scared of working again - I am beginning to doubt myself

Always do what you're afraid of. That's how you succeed in life.

Conquer your fears and you can do anything.

• Like 1
Or if your boss is incompetent and doesn't actually want to do any work themselves. True story at my last job. There was a lot of turnover and my boss probably didn't lay me off for the same reason.

That happens in life as much as it does in the workplace. You are going to run into people in a position of seniority that don't belong there.

I work in an environment where people are rewarded with pay and seniority based on time spent in the company.

It's about your ability to adapt. When you adapt, you survive.

• Like 2
  • Author
dont get a job because your freinds have one.

and did you not ask for training?even thou they should give you it

automaticlly.

10 mistakes is to much. lets take responsability here.

but anyway you should take a break and start applying for

jobs that you like.

learn from the other one. its was just a small period of your life

Not 10 mistakes, just 1. Yeah, I do take responsibility for my mistakes. Yep! Glad it's over and i am moving on now. Thanks much.

As the owner, I have had to fire people. Of the last 5 I hired, I fired 3, I quit,and the 5th is working his ass off, almost making us money after 60 days.

A problem I have is to expect too much from the new guy, or even those who have been working for me for a couple of years.

Next job, write down what you don't understand, know or have gotten conflicting information about. Find someone who will help you understand the job, and the various nuances.

Good luck

• Like 1
  • Author
As the owner, I have had to fire people. Of the last 5 I hired, I fired 3, I quit,and the 5th is working his ass off, almost making us money after 60 days.

A problem I have is to expect too much from the new guy, or even those who have been working for me for a couple of years.

Next job, write down what you don't understand, know or have gotten conflicting information about. Find someone who will help you understand the job, and the various nuances.

Good luck

I will! Thanks for that :) Feeling so nervous about first day tmr... Excited yet more nervous, give me your best wishes everyone!! :) You guys always make me feel so much better! X

skydiveaddict
Staying at home being jobless really sucks when all my friends have jobs and some days i feel absoultely a waste of space.

Its because you are scared. Always do the thing you are most afraid of.

Edited by skydiveaddict
  • Like 1
skydiveaddict
Exciting!!! :)

well now you know you can do it. Get going girl!

Edited by skydiveaddict