Valid reasons for quitting your job?

Hi everyone. I am going through some life changes right now and it's been making me think about every facet of my life, including my job.

I am just curious as to what you think are valid reasons for quitting a job. This my first job so I don't want to be making a hasty decision. So any feedback would be helpful

Why I feel unhappy:

1. My values/morals conflict with my superior and the rest of the team. They are nice people when you talk to them but this difference makes me uncomfortable. It shows in the way they do business and how they view relationships and such. I always feel like some goody two shoes but I have been through my share of unethical experiences and I want to be a better person. My married superior especially is unethical in his personal relationships and it rubs off on these younger employees. And yes I am hyper sensitive about this.

2. I don't expect to be chummy with my co-workers but I don't think I "fit in" even just at the base level. They are all young and at really different points in their lives and I can't relate to anything they talk about. (dating, boys, girls, partying, what clubs are popular) So I feel lonely a lot.

Number 1 is truthfully pretty much the only biggest reason but it's enough to make me not enjoy going to work in the mornings.

So would this be enough? What were your reasons for quitting? Thanks!

It's your job and your life - your reasoning is valid if you think that it is.

Suggestion: have other work lined up before quitting whenever possible.

• Like 3

First off, you don't need others to validate your reasons for quitting. If you feel it is best for you then do it. Secondly, I am not at work to make friends so the lack of personal commonalities would not be a factor for me.

• Author
First off, you don't need others to validate your reasons for quitting. If you feel it is best for you then do it. Secondly, I am not at work to make friends so the lack of personal commonalities would not be a factor for me.

I am not at work to make friends either. But I don't think I can connect to them even on a co-worker.

Actually I think I figured out what I need to do; writing this question out helped.

Thanks for answering and thanks for answering some of my other threads too. I appreciate your honesty. Please take care.

• Author
It's your job and your life - your reasoning is valid if you think that it is.

Suggestion: have other work lined up before quitting whenever possible.

Thanks for the answer.

Those sound like valid reasons to me. Whenever in doubt, always remember that if a job is negatively impacting your emotional or physical health, it's time to let go. If it's interfering in other ways such as school work, time to let go. I know a lot of people think you should just suck it up, but if your job is negatively impacting you in any way, you should move on. Only exception I can see is if you have no other source of support other than your income. Your unhappiness will eventually show in your performance, so it's best to let go before that happens.

I've quit jobs for those reasons and I've never looked back.

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Like 2
Noise Electric

Yes, I realize you've already more or less made a decision, but just thought I would add a few things.

1. This is your first job - it certainly will not be your last. The best thing to do would be to use it for all it's worth. Get promoted, gain experience, etc. If you haven't been there very long, try to stick it out. No one wants to hire a job hopper.

2. Personal morals and values have absolutely nothing to do with your workplace. In life, you're going to encounter more people who do not share your values than people who do.

At work, people are going to value you for working hard and being productive, not for being a "good person."

Your co-workers' behavior has nothing to do with you. They make their choices and you make yours.

3. You're not going to "fit in" everywhere. Fact. Actually you'll probably work in a lot of places that make you want to hang yourself every morning instead of go to work. That's normal.

As long as you're not violating any company guidelines, you aren't doing anything wrong. You don't have to like these people and they don't have to like you. But you do have to work with them and remain polite and professional.

4. 99% of work is pure bullsh*t. The money is real, but that's the only part of it that is. The rest is bullsh*t. Remember that no matter where you work.

5. Apathy is always an option. Try not to care so much about all of the nonsense that's going on around you. Hypersensitive people have a much more difficult time in life - take it from another hypersensitive person.

6. You sound very young, so you might not understand that changing jobs might not solve your problems. The problem might very well be you and the way you interpret and react to things.

You're always going to work with jerks at various points in life. You will grow as a person if you learn how to cope with them instead of running away.

Hope this helps.

I am not at work to make friends either. But I don't think I can connect to them even on a co-worker.

Actually I think I figured out what I need to do; writing this question out helped.

Thanks for answering and thanks for answering some of my other threads too. I appreciate your honesty. Please take care.

Good luck with whatever you do. :D Life is too short to settle. :D

• Like 2
  • Author
Yes, I realize you've already more or less made a decision, but just thought I would add a few things.

1. This is your first job - it certainly will not be your last. The best thing to do would be to use it for all it's worth. Get promoted, gain experience, etc. If you haven't been there very long, try to stick it out. No one wants to hire a job hopper.

2. Personal morals and values have absolutely nothing to do with your workplace. In life, you're going to encounter more people who do not share your values than people who do.

At work, people are going to value you for working hard and being productive, not for being a "good person."

Your co-workers' behavior has nothing to do with you. They make their choices and you make yours.

3. You're not going to "fit in" everywhere. Fact. Actually you'll probably work in a lot of places that make you want to hang yourself every morning instead of go to work. That's normal.

As long as you're not violating any company guidelines, you aren't doing anything wrong. You don't have to like these people and they don't have to like you. But you do have to work with them and remain polite and professional.

4. 99% of work is pure bullsh*t. The money is real, but that's the only part of it that is. The rest is bullsh*t. Remember that no matter where you work.

5. Apathy is always an option. Try not to care so much about all of the nonsense that's going on around you. Hypersensitive people have a much more difficult time in life - take it from another hypersensitive person.

6. You sound very young, so you might not understand that changing jobs might not solve your problems. The problem might very well be you and the way you interpret and react to things.

You're always going to work with jerks at various points in life. You will grow as a person if you learn how to cope with them instead of running away.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your detailed response! I have decided to quit though..

2. I think it does become a problem when my values don't align with the company though. They preached that at grad school all the time but now that I am in the real world I can see why they are preaching it.

3. Yeah I want to remain polite and professional but my boss seems to blur the lines between co-workers and friendship. They do everything together, even meet on the weekends, I can't find the balance but when I miss out on these "outings" I miss out on work discussions. So they all know what's going on but I don't. And I have to ask them when I get to work. But I don't want to leave my kid at home and go drinking with them till 3 in the morning to have to stay in the loop.

6. I don't know if 33 and having a daughter nearing the age of 8 is considered young, but maybe I am young in terms of knowing about the workplace. :confused: I know, I started working late. I was married at 22 and was a stay at home mom so yeah it is all new to me.

Thanks though!!

• Author
Good luck with whatever you do. :D Life is too short to settle. :D

You are absolutely right on this. Every time I thought and rationalized "meh, this should be good enough" I was miserable. I am learning to listen to my gut and feelings more and give myself some more credit.

• Like 1

Companies like to pitch "culture fit", and there are some companies devoted to the study of just that. It can mean a number of things to executives - from trying to create a teamwork-oriented group to plain old discrimination - and it can be a litmus test for you to decide whether it's time to move on.

I can empathize, OP, because I just "celebrated" my 10th anniversary at a job that is such a far distance from the kind of business I believe in participating in that I still can't believe I work there. Why do I, you ask? Because no one else will hire me.

So, please take time to be informed about your decision, but if you get another offer or have funds to do so, jump that ship.

• Author
Companies like to pitch "culture fit", and there are some companies devoted to the study of just that. It can mean a number of things to executives - from trying to create a teamwork-oriented group to plain old discrimination - and it can be a litmus test for you to decide whether it's time to move on.

I can empathize, OP, because I just "celebrated" my 10th anniversary at a job that is such a far distance from the kind of business I believe in participating in that I still can't believe I work there. Why do I, you ask? Because no one else will hire me.

So, please take time to be informed about your decision, but if you get another offer or have funds to do so, jump that ship.

Hi marioC, thanks for sharing. It must be so hard. I definitely don't have another job offer, but financially I have enough to support my daughter and myself without working (child care bills and financial compensation consistently coming in through the divorce. I can't go around buying clothes from Armani and drive a Lambourghini (joke) but it's a decent amount to get by the basics.

The work was more for my own well being and desire to put all that studying I had done to use, and do something new and efficient with my life.

And in general I get along great with all kinds of people too, without becoming friends. But maybe the dynamics are different at work. It's ironic because they gave me the position to deal with the "people" part as they say. Support them and all. Sigh. Thanks again!

1. My values/morals conflict with my superior and the rest of the team. They are nice people when you talk to them but this difference makes me uncomfortable. It shows in the way they do business and how they view relationships and such. I always feel like some goody two shoes but I have been through my share of unethical experiences and I want to be a better person. My married superior especially is unethical in his personal relationships and it rubs off on these younger employees. And yes I am hyper sensitive about this.

Are you talking about unethical behavior on the job or in terms of what they do away from work? Personally, as distasteful as people can be sometimes, I'd make a very strong delineation between someone's private life and their professional conduct. Even if someone is tacky enough to chat up their indiscretions at work, I'd try to block that out and just focus on making the bank and paying the rent. If you start judging the people you work with personally, you're going to have a hard time fitting in at a lot of workplaces. On the other hand, if there's bad vibes about how people are doing their work, then that's a different story. If someone's engaging in immoral or illegal conduct at work, then yeah, that's a valid reason for moving on.

2. I don't expect to be chummy with my co-workers but I don't think I "fit in" even just at the base level. They are all young and at really different points in their lives and I can't relate to anything they talk about. (dating, boys, girls, partying, what clubs are popular) So I feel lonely a lot.

This is a potential wedge, but I'd try to work around it. You could even try to make light of it and joke about how you're a gramps and that your party days are behind you. It seems like you really want to connect with the people you work with, which is understandable. This might be a reason for moving on, but look before you leap. Use the job until you get something better.