Overheard boss dealing out sexual harassment.

I've been working at an office building for about a month. Today, I was in the bathroom drying my hands with paper towels. The urinals are behind the sink. I hear one of my bosses saying: "Now don't be playing with yourself over there." For a moment I thought he was talking to me, but then I seen he was talking to a new temp worker standing in the adjacent stall. I don't know if it's my place to do anything, but it bugs me that a boss would do this especially to a new work. Is that even considered sexual harassment? What would you do?

IfWishesWereHorses

It's probably not very professional but first I would admit to the new hire that I heard it, then I would tell everyone in the office and make it the office joke that no one wants to use the RR with a creeper. Start using the buddy system for fun or post a lookout. I'd blow it up and make him look like a nutcase! Of course, I don't have a job! :) I'd for sure tell the new hire that I heard it and he's whacked.

Sexual harassment's definition is severe and pervasive. So while a one time comment like that may not be sexual harassment it is absolutely inappropriate. And even if the temp was okay with it, if you are offended as a third party the complaint and concern still stands.

I would notify HR, let them know what you heard, who was there, any other witnesses, and let them investigate.

• Like 1

It's probably harassment and probably not actionable, standing alone.

Some HR departments would at least counsel the boss. Other places, I wouldn't even risk it. I would possibly let the new guy know you didn't agree with that language.

• 2 weeks later...

Where I work, if I heard that comment and did not report it, I could be fired.

It is your responsibility to report this creep. That remark is sexual harassment if it made you feel uncomfortable, even if it wasn't directed at you.

It is sexual harassment and no one deserves it. Report it.

How do you know the new worker wasn't doing what the boss asked him to stop?

I wouldn't volunteer any info on the situation. If someone starts an investigation cooperate & share what you know. Otherwise, stay out of it.

• Like 2