Best time/worst time of year to look for new job

I recall reading something about how you shouldn't job search at certain times and it had something to do with companies and budgets. What is the rule?

I think it's more about how competitive the job search becomes. Like during summer and the holidays, there is more competition due to individuals being on vacation from school and needing extra money. However, since business slows down after the holiday season and not as many jobs are available, it can be a difficult time to start looking. If that's the case, essentially there are few times of the year where it's actually a "good time" to look for a job, so essentially there isn't.

• Author

I thought most people were laid off right before Christmas because it's the end of the year and they want to clear the books.

• Author

Did some googling and found this in a Forbes article:

“The end of the year tends to be a slower time for new hires,” says Melanie Holmes, a vice president at ManpowerGroup. “Initiatives are wrapping up and budgets are maxed out. For companies on a calendar year financial schedule, new budgets start in January, which can mean funding for new positions.”

I knew I had read something similar in the past. And then there is this:

Perhaps the best time to look for a new job is when you don’t need one; you just want one, Teach says. “There’s a lot less pressure on you because your current job isn’t too bad and there’s no rush in getting a new one. You can take your time and if a great opportunity comes up you can take it if you want or you can wait for the next one.” You’re in control.

This is my current situation. However, having a job that isn't terrible makes me a bit lazy in looking for a new one.

Edited by FitChick

The issue with that is that it's too easy not to be proactive when looking. From my experience, even with a job, it can take thousands of resume submissions before you land something...so if you're just casually looking, you're not likely to find anything too quickly. Yes, being currently employed gives you the upper hand and you're not desperate for other work....however the time came for me when I just absolutely couldn't stand it anymore and it took a few months of really getting my resume out there and dozens of interviews before landing something. It was worth the wait though because my new job is so much better.

Depends on the industry. In mine, you can find tons of contract work year round... in days, if you really want it.

I'm helping my SO find a job... acting as his recruiter and submitting him to places. That way he can focus on his current job and I do the legwork for him during my work's downtime. We landed a long-term contract at a big-name company within three weeks of looking, but didn't stop there. Now, we're looking for a permanent role. It's been two months and counting, but he's getting 3-5 interviews every week.

It's not like there aren't jobs out there... it's that there are tons of qualified applicants. It can feel a bit like a lottery sometimes, but you just gotta keep going...

It really depends on a lot of factors - fiscal year, seasonal needs, initiatives, type of work, etc.

Normally we see a slow down from Thanksgiving till New Years as many people are concentrating on other things. Oddly we have found over the years outside recruiters seem to disappear as well! :laugh:

Are busy time is the holiday season so for certain jobs will have a big hiring boom. We are on a calendar year schedule so some departments will not have hiring in their Quarter 4 budget.