I want a job with the government???

I want to work for the government. Why not? It is the biggest company in the world. I want a job where I can get money and respect and do important things for the world. Why hasn't the government come knocking at my door to give me a job? I'll polish my business shoes, quit my job and start Monday, well, Mondays a holiday day, I'll start Tuesday.

dasani08810

Uh.....I USED to work for the government. That whole "help the world" thing....within 6 months, they'll kill that attitude.

Before you know it, you'll be just like them. I lasted 10 months before I was ready to eat a bullet!! I can't go to work and do nothing for 25 years!! You don't do that much time for murder! LOL

• Author

No I mean like get a real good job like making $100,000 plus a year. I would do that for a while.

Oh you are a laugh riot! Very few government employees make that kind of dough. And they have to have education and experience if they do.

Plato's Idealism is dead, cap. Nietsche killed and buried it. :)

I enjoy the cave so long as it comes equipped with a 63 inch Plasma TV.

The Forms are so over-rated...

Forget about working for the Government if you want money and respect, capital. You may well get given important things to do. In fact you could be asked to change the world, on a shoestring of course :) . Now where did I put my magic wand?

• Author

You all have become a little bit jaded and cynical. The world comes to those who work at it. I am sure of that. I am not that much of an idealist. In any case, what you said isn't what Plato's cave is about, thats just the traditional misinterpretation and what is philosophy but a a misinterpretation of Plato and Aristotle? Thats a big argument I know and far away from the topic here, as I am concerned with practical things like turning a buck and educating people, all noble, you know.

dasani08810

and so.....a Bureaucrat is born....

Cap, you seem just perfect for a government job. Good luck with that. ;-)

• Author

In a bureaucratic system how can I be anything other than a bureaucrat? Bureaucracy may suck but thats the way things go. Still, I try to temper the bureaucratic aspect by taking responsibility for what happens. In a world, where people are quite ready to pass the buck, I will stand up for what I believe in. I know there are cowards out there, people that are not willing to take the chance to be a leader, but as for my own life, in any position that is offered me, I will stand up and be a decision maker and leader for whatever that is worth. So, in some sense I can't totally change the ways things are but I can be responsible for how I act within the grand system of things.

CaterpillarGirl

Well, I want to work for the government, too, capitald. But only because no one else owns a $250 million spacecraft. ;)

Government jobs are overrated. Why they may seem like they "go by the books" bureaucracy-wise, there is actually a lot of corruption and go getters like you don't get anywhere because the higher ups fear you getting their jobs.

Call my view a bitter jaded one if you must, but I've seen it first hand from one of the biggest government institutions in the whole country.

Plus, agents there only start at 45K and after decades of service, are lucky to reach 100K. And we are talking on a federal level...

• Author

yes but who was talking about agency, I was only speaking of consultation. In any case, I don't want to talk any more about this.

• 2 months later...

Have you done anything to help this dream come true? Why don't you surf the web and see what exactly you would like to do for the gov? See what type of degree you must earn, or if there are courses you must learn before doing what it is you want in the gov. I think that's great you want to work for the gov, but no one is going to come knocking on your door and ask you to work for them, you have to be agressive and make that happen yourself.

Good Luck!