you will be bored here

fortyninethousand322

I've had this said to me on three occasions (the only 3 interviews I've had). All interviews for office type work. And always after they read my work history (9 years in retail during high school and college).

I left retail specifically because I didn't want to work in it. How do I convince potential employers that I won't be bored in an office just because I put up with retail for 9 years?

Eddie Edirol

If you apply for a job you have to be more specific on how you can help the company. If you can create more details and explain how why you left retail without disparaging it, then they shouldnt think youll be bored. Obviously youre telling them something that makes them think this. Focus more on how you will improve the job youre applying for in the interview.

• Like 1
I've had this said to me on three occasions (the only 3 interviews I've had). All interviews for office type work. And always after they read my work history (9 years in retail during high school and college).

I left retail specifically because I didn't want to work in it. How do I convince potential employers that I won't be bored in an office just because I put up with retail for 9 years?

Last time I took that sort of career break, my favourite temp stints involved reception work in big companies. The really large, wealthy companies are hated by so many people, and no doubt all sorts of dastardly doings go on in the boardroom...but if you're a lowly receptionist who has nothing more taxing to do than take phone calls and be nice and welcoming to people, all you really see is the pleasant and civilised side.

There are always coffee machines serving proper coffee. Almost everybody is nice, and there's always similar players involved. The jaded cynic who starts hanging around reception a lot when he realises that behind the bright smile lies a kindred spirit. The Jack The Lad who can't wait to show you his latest gadget. The absolutely charming CEO and the absolutely sullen, grumpy CEO who doesn't bond with anybody except the tea lady. The girl who's feeling the heat from subtle office politics and keeps escaping to reception. All of them, except grouchy CEO, telling you every bit of gossip about the place that you could possibly want, or not want, to know.

Other than the pay (and the hassle of getting to and from the office (these places are often inconveniently located) what's not to like? I would just explain all that, then ask "and do you provide unrestricted internet access?"

• Like 3
PlumPrincess

Are you good with Word, Excel and Powerpoint?

If you want to become an office worker and emphasize your seriousness of a career change I would mention your great skills in Word, Excel and Powerpoint and if you don't have great skills in these office applications, take classes. Taking classes should also help in creating the impression that you are very serious about working in an office.

What kind of retail was it? Clothing? I would tell them that you want a more quiet work environment. I hate shopping, because there are too many people around.

Edited by PlumPrincess
What kind of retail was it? Clothing? I would tell them that you want a more quiet work environment. I hate shopping, because there are too many people around.

I suspect he's probably talking about retail banking or investment.

UpwardForward

If you want to become an office worker and emphasize your seriousness of a career change I would mention your great skills in Word, Excel and Powerpoint and if you don't have great skills in these office applications, take classes. Taking classes should also help in creating the impression that you are very serious about working in an office.

Yes, I was going to suggest beefing up your accounting skills as well. I can understand that you'd rather work in an office and with more stability, creativity than sales, fewer people to answer to, work with. More of a cloistered environment.

Perhaps tell them, you know the job is meant for you and could they give you the opportunity with a 3 month probationary period.

Lostinlife4now
Last time I took that sort of career break, my favourite temp stints involved reception work in big companies. The really large, wealthy companies are hated by so many people, and no doubt all sorts of dastardly doings go on in the boardroom...but if you're a lowly receptionist who has nothing more taxing to do than take phone calls and be nice and welcoming to people, all you really see is the pleasant and civilised side.

There are always coffee machines serving proper coffee. Almost everybody is nice, and there's always similar players involved. The jaded cynic who starts hanging around reception a lot when he realises that behind the bright smile lies a kindred spirit. The Jack The Lad who can't wait to show you his latest gadget. The absolutely charming CEO and the absolutely sullen, grumpy CEO who doesn't bond with anybody except the tea lady. The girl who's feeling the heat from subtle office politics and keeps escaping to reception. All of them, except grouchy CEO, telling you every bit of gossip about the place that you could possibly want, or not want, to know.

Other than the pay (and the hassle of getting to and from the office (these places are often inconveniently located) what's not to like? I would just explain all that, then ask "and do you provide unrestricted internet access?"

Oh T.....

In my early early career days I started as a "Receptionist" and I loved it. You have just described the job PERFECTLY! Ahhhhh...those were the days......

Thanks, Taramare....you made me go back to a time and S M I L E!!! :):)

• Like 1
Lostinlife4now

fortyninethousand322......

I had worked in both office and retail in my life. Retail is hard work especially on the body, for not much money.....

Office work I enjoyed....I felt like I was keeping up with the world.....But yes, take classes in Word, Excel and Powerpoint. BUT if you don't use these programs everyday...you will lose what you were taught.

GOOD LUCK!!!!! And sell yourself.......

I can emphathize with this. Trying to change career fields can be very difficult- I'm trying to move from heavy construction into an office gig. Despite the fact that I know how to use most of the commonly used business software, have a college degree, and have leadership experience it is very difficult for me to even get an interview. People have a tendency to see things like "ironworker" and "rigger" on a resume and read them as "mildly retarded" and "poor hygiene and worse social skills."

Maybe it would be a good idea to talk to a professional resume writer to see how you can translate your skill set over to the office world more effectively. Maybe come up with specific things about the prospective new job that you find exciting. Do as much research as you can concerning exactly what the position entails and work your interest in specific aspects of that into your cover letter.

I may have missed this suggestion above, so forgive me if that's the case.

In the meantime, until you get the full time office job you seek, maybe put your name in with a temp agency? Even if it's a week here or there of office work while you continue looking, it will add recent office experience to your resume. Even a volunteer stint a day here or there in office work counts. Unfortunately, employers look at the most recent type of work on the resume. Volunteer and temporary do count.

Then, at the interview you could tell them how much you loved the office work and what a perfect fit it was for you, more so than retail.

Edited by Chixmom
  • Like 2

I had years of retail work behind me as well before I went into office work. However, being a soon to be college graduate, I guess most assume I was in retail to put myself through college and as a result now I am looking for something "professional". Tactfully say you are looking for a chance of pace; that you believe retail is no longer a good fit for you and your are looking to make a career change. It's not uncommon. Then state your reasoning for wanting to work in an office and the value you can bring to the company.

It-is-what-it-is.

Change your resume and de-emphasize the retail.

1. You should leave off your résumé any reference to jobs during high school. Irrelevant to post college careers in most cases.

2. Focus on skills, not jobs. Teamwork, dealing with difficult situations etc. look up examples of functional resumes.

It will reduce the questions. Then you need one way of explaining the job shift. Focus on how you want to build a career. You are used to hard work etc.

• Like 1
  • Author
fortyninethousand322

I worked at a giftshop. My dad was the store manager when I was 14 and he needed someone to help in the stock room. I got paid 8 dollars an hour to work 7 hours every Saturday. When I got to be 16 and I could legally work more hours I started closing and opening, running the register, etc. Basically I was a retail sales associate.

I didn't really like the job but I stayed because it was easy and they let me name my hours and pretty much left me alone to do what needed to be done. I left when I realized I didn't see a future there.

I have on my resume that I'm good with Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Is there any other way to mention that outside of the resume?

• Author
fortyninethousand322
Change your resume and de-emphasize the retail.

1. You should leave off your résumé any reference to jobs during high school. Irrelevant to post college careers in most cases.

2. Focus on skills, not jobs. Teamwork, dealing with difficult situations etc. look up examples of functional resumes.

It will reduce the questions. Then you need one way of explaining the job shift. Focus on how you want to build a career. You are used to hard work etc.

1. Well unfortunately that's most of my work history. I'm only 25, I spend 2002-11 at the same retail job, then in early 2012 joined this online media company that has yet to make a profit (which is why I need a new job, because I need money).

2. Sounds like a good idea. Thanks. :)

It-is-what-it-is.
1. Well unfortunately that's most of my work history. I'm only 25, I spend 2002-11 at the same retail job, then in early 2012 joined this online media company that has yet to make a profit (which is why I need a new job, because I need money).

2. Sounds like a good idea. Thanks. :)

You misunderstood.

At 25, post college, employers are only looking for a couple years experience. Leave off the high school start with during college and post college work only. Use functional to highlight transferable skills

Focus most of your résumé on your current job.

• Like 2
I worked at a giftshop. My dad was the store manager when I was 14 and he needed someone to help in the stock room. I got paid 8 dollars an hour to work 7 hours every Saturday. When I got to be 16 and I could legally work more hours I started closing and opening, running the register, etc. Basically I was a retail sales associate.

I didn't really like the job but I stayed because it was easy and they let me name my hours and pretty much left me alone to do what needed to be done. I left when I realized I didn't see a future there.

I have on my resume that I'm good with Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Is there any other way to mention that outside of the resume?

I recently read a list of great interview questions to ask a potential employer during an interview. A good one is "What can I tell you about my qualifications?" When they ask, this would be a great opportunity to point out your strengths.

You misunderstood.

At 25, post college, employers are only looking for a couple years experience. Leave off the high school start with during college and post college work only. Use functional to highlight transferable skills

Focus most of your résumé on your current job.

I agree. I am 24...been at my first professional office job for 2 years and I leave off all my irrelevant retail jobs. Of course I add any side jobs I have had during this time that I think would boost my resume...such as helping my dad with his real estate business.

• Like 2
PlumPrincess

I don't know how applications work in the States. Here, I usually send in my CV and a cover letter (one pager). In that cover letter, I write something about my previous work experience with the focus on emphasizing skills that I assume are important, based on the job description. It's probably always good to point out that you are an independent and reliable worker with good work ethics (you basically ran this shop at the age of 16). You let them know why based on your previous work experience and your skills you're the right person for this job.

Then I proceed to explain my motivation to apply for this job. "I left retail specifically because I didn't want to work in it." is not enough. That part should answer the following question: What do you find appealing about the job they are offering? Is there something that makes you want to work specifically for their company/field?

Look at the job description, pick out the key words and try to include some of them and their synonyms in your cover letter.

You have to find a connection between your previous work experience, your skills and the new job. Why you are able to do the new job based on what you have done so far. Or, when it's something completely different, you do have to give a credible explanation/proof for your motivation to change your career. Adapt yourself to the job description. Highlight what is useful for the job and leave out the uninteresting stuff.

Do hand in your application with a picture? If you do, get your picture taken from a professional photographer. You want to look professional and likeable in the picture.

And during the interview, do try to also make a connection with your future employer. If he likes you, but you might not be the ideal candidate skillwise, but they will still give you a shot. I've also heard that calling before the interview and getting more information about the job is a good way to build up a connection with the interviewer. It makes you stick out in the anonymous mass of candidates.

headinthecloud

Try a temporary placement agency, they will get you in the door with companies and then you'll have an introduction. If you do try one and are successful, word to the wise "be on-time". :)

• Like 1
  • Author
fortyninethousand322
As an employer now, I would not hire someone with totally different experience, unless they were 18 years old or very young. You waste enough time training people who cannot handle the work or dislike it and end up losing lots of money.

That's probably true. I guess the frustrating part for me is figuring out how to get out of being pigeon-holed into a field I didn't want to be in.

• Author
fortyninethousand322

And I applied to two jobs today, taking the advice people listed in here. I left my retail experience off my resume since it wasn't relevant to either job. Hopefully that will help.

It-is-what-it-is.
And I applied to two jobs today, taking the advice people listed in here. I left my retail experience off my resume since it wasn't relevant to either job. Hopefully that will help.

Good...have someone review your résumé if you can. There are free services that do it (your college career center) or someone you respect. Make sure it's proofread.

Make sure you are practicing your skills too.

I know looking for a job right now is tough. Keep plugging along.

BTW I hire people all the time, professional office type work (IT) and people get skills from all kinds of jobs. It's up to you to show them how the work translates. And how you are committed to building a professional career.

Good luck.

• Like 1
UpwardForward

I wouldn't leave the retail off. Having everything on there will allow them a complete resume and w/o gaps.

An example: Toys R Us will request someone who can put together toys i.e. bikes, etc. But they will Want someone with sales experience, etc. along with the same job description.

Edited by UpwardForward