Notes to interviews

What is an interviewer's impression of an applicant bringing notes to an interview? When asked about the company, sometimes I experience a brain fart or have a difficult time carefully planning and remembering what to say. I often find it helpful to carry a notepad with notes as well as questions to ask the interviewer. What do the rest of you think?

My, you sure are actively curious and involved in the job hunt scene aren't ya?

I see no problem with it, speaking from an interviewee perspective. I would think that it signals you are organized prepared. If they count it against you, I would quite honestly say screw 'em.

• Like 2
  • Author

Yeah, this is my first time looking for a job while actively employed and first time looking for real professional work post-college, so I guess I have the luxury of taking my time to screen each job rather than desperately jumping for anything. :laugh:

I see no problem with it, speaking from an interviewee perspective. I would think that it signals you are organized prepared. If they count it against you, I would quite honestly say screw 'em.

Totally disagree....

I would say that if you need notes, you can't remember basic items that might come up in an interview.

To me, it would indicate that in a job setting, you are slow to learn and would constantly need crib notes to do your job.

I think it would be a detriment in an interview and someone else would get the job that doesn't need notes...

• Like 1

And therefore, just like dating, it goes to show that you could pretty much do anything and everything that someone tells you is the "right thing to do", and some will like it while some hate it.

OP, no matter what you do, within reason, you will not please everyone. Having the benefit of age and a degree of wisdom (self-assessment, surely), I would offer that especially in your situation, do what suits you. If someone holds against you something as silly as notes at an interview, is this someone you want to work for? I say just be you, and those that are willing to accept you will hire you. And then you'll know you're working for someone that gets you.

Don't try to be someone you're not, because it might just work... then what?

• Like 1

To me, it would indicate that in a job setting, you are slow to learn and would constantly need crib notes to do your job.

I think it would be a detriment in an interview and someone else would get the job that doesn't need notes...

C'mon, really? Having reminder notes at an interview is an indication of a moronic vegetable that can't possibly file something without drooling all over himself/herself?

C'mon, really? Having reminder notes at an interview is an indication of a moronic vegetable that can't possibly file something without drooling all over himself/herself?

I didn't say that so why go to the extreme with that assumption?

But I believe it DOES indicate that someone may not be as sharp or bright as others who are interviewing for the same job who do not rely on notes.

Look, I was in Human Resources (aerospace industry) for several years. I had to screen every type of job from basic secretarial to advanced engineers. I never saw a person come in with notes they might refer to, although I did see prospective candidates taking notes.

Um, yeah I'm with Carrie on this. I wouldn't do it. The interviewer wants to look you in the eye and TALK with you, not watch you take notes. It's almost an insult, make them sit there and wait for you to write something down? No, not a good idea.

Um, yeah I'm with Carrie on this. I wouldn't do it. The interviewer wants to look you in the eye and TALK with you, not watch you take notes. It's almost an insult, make them sit there and wait for you to write something down? No, not a good idea.

The issue wasn't about taking notes. That's a different discussion, and one that I, again, disagree with.

• Like 1
  • Author

From one experience where I brought in a list of questions, the interviewer absolutely loved how prepared I was. It was one of the reasons I got the job. Who wants to hear an interviewee him and haw when they are asked if they have any questions? A lot of times interviewers are taking notes and you're taking this time in a way to also interview the company as well to determine if it will be a good fit or not.

Totally agree with taking notes in with you. This is a meeting situation, and when is it not appropriate to take a notepad into a meeting? I've done this for every single interview I have ever been to in my life and never heard before that this could possibly be a no-no. It is primarily for the part at the end where you are supposed to ask questions - in my opinion this makes you look like you cared enough to think beforehand about what questions you would like to ask. I would actually think lesser of a person if they didn't come with pre-prepared questions.

• Like 1
The issue wasn't about taking notes. That's a different discussion, and one that I, again, disagree with.

Whoops - you're right, she described "bringing in [prewritten] notes" in the OP, not taking them. I still see over-reliance on notes as not a good thing in an interview, though. They're trying to evaluate how you present yourself, how you interact with other humans. As letsbeotherpeople said above me, attitude carries more weight than credentials in the interview. (And they've already got your credentials, in your resume.)

• 3 weeks later...

On the in-person interview that I had with my current job, I prepared a notebook with some basic information about the company, research on the 7 or so people who would be interviewing me per the company's interview itinerary, and information that would be useful if I got the job; once or twice during the interview I had the opportunity to refer to that information and I think it impressed them because it showed that I had done some work in getting to know the company and the job...

• Like 1

Yeah I wouldn't take a note pad, just go fully prepared to the interview.

Saved the notepad for when you do get the job so u can note all the important info you will need to know

I agree with this, it takes away from connecting with the interviewer