odd co-worker problem

simplybrill

Ive heard recently at my new job, that this guy that floats in and out of the office, says hey to everyone, is "sweet on me."

So im like oh great,,,I dont even know if I want to be close friends with this person, and they "like" me? I guess things wouldnt be so bad, if the guy didnt call me last night to invite me to dinner, and in the same breath (literally) say "oh, but its too late now."

Im thinking,,,listen, nobody leaves idiotic cryptic messages like that on MY voicemail, so I call this schmuck back asking about the message...and he's very short with me, almost the point of bluntness as he says "yup, im goin out to dinner tonight, gotta go"

The next day at work, he's all smiles like he didnt do anything wierd at all, and Im still thinking about last night like wow dude, we're not even dating and you're already trying to play mind games? :eek:

Is he trying to create the illusion of a social life to make himself seem more desirable? It just struck me as odd...my overall reaction the situation is whatever, this one's nutty.

Any advice, reactions, similar situations happen to any of you guys? :bunny:

HokeyReligions

Just ignore him. If he actually asks you out just say No Thanks.

He might have a weird shyness thing going on, but he isn't going to get dates like that! Let him go. I think he think he's being cute or witty, or well, something!

Maybe he has an imaginary girlfriend too. :D I used to have an imaginary b/f in second grade. His name was Timothy Washington and I made the boys jealous with him. LOL, sounds like this man is doing a fine job of entertaining HIMSELF.

• Author
simplybrill

Im still nice to the guy, cuz I cant outright be mean to him- he works with me. But at the same time I dont want to lead him on, know what I mean?

He keeps inviting me to do stuff, and im like HEY man, in case you didnt get it, the first 5 times (literally) I turned you down to go to stuff with you and ppl from work, im NOT interested in hanging out with you outside the office!! :mad:

Unfortunately, im thinking this guy may be one of those ones where by the time he finally realizes this, he may just get really mad and turn into this angry-bitter guy over it all. :confused:

He's definitely not my type, and he's got this wierd sense of humor that only him and this other lady at work understand, and its just wierd...its like they have this social club and they're seeing whether or not I meet their standards to join, and one of the ways in would be dating this dude...which I dont care about, and could care less if they LIKE-like me,,,they're just ppl at work...im not trying to make best friends with them or anything. :p

He's really starting to annoy me now, because he like hovers,,,hangs out around my work area,,,talking about complete random BS, and lately he's just BEEN there hardly saying anything. I feel like those poor penguins at the zoo that people come and stare at for a bit and then move on after a while. Its like ooookay, I wish I had tons of projects to work on sometimes just so that I would actually have something to DO so that he wouldnt think I have all day to chat with him. Its just very odd...I wish he would go bother someone else. :cool:

You need to talk to your Human Resources person at the office. What this guy is doing is creating a hostile work environment. If you feel that your work performance is suffering because this guy is creeping you out, if you get that "feeling" every day before going to work because of him, if you dread seeing him, even if just bugs the crap out of you, those are all legitimate reasons to talk to your supervisor and HR person. Creating a hostile work environment is not okay. It is right up there with sexual harassment, which it sounds like he is bordering on, anyway. Your HR person will listen and take your complaint seriously because there have been several court cases over the past years that have dealt specifically with this issue and it is nothing to be ignored. Not only is this guy liable, but your supervisor and HR can be held accountable as well if nothing is done to rectify this situation and they have knowledge of it. You don't have to deal with him yourself, and you can tell HR that you have tried to deal with it and you are not comfortable with him anymore. If that does not work, go a step higher. Women and men,for that matter, should be able to work without having to go through the crap that this guy is putting you through.