interesting interview question

HokeyReligions

I had an interview today. It went well. I'm used to interviewing and have interviewed a lot of people. One of the questions was "how do I fix a hotdog"

There are several standards to use in an interview and the answers help distinguish some personality types. But I hadn't heard that one.

The question I'm usually asked is "a glass is half filled with water. Is the glass half empty or half full?" My first response answer is always "neither. The glass is the wrong size"

The hot dog question was different. After I answered the two managers interviewing me both chuckled and said they had never heard my answe before. I don't know if that was good or bad.

My answer was "slice them up and mix them with cottage cheese" which, when I do have hot dogs (turkey franks), is how I eat them.

Anyone else have any interestin interview questions?

• Like 1

I have been interviewing and hiring people for years now and just haven't found those off the wall questions to be terribly helpful in making the best hire.

Yes there is some insight into one's personality but most of the time it is close to impossible to actually gain any real insight into the person and how good of a fit they are for the position in question.

• Like 1

It is my opinion that questions like this are designed mostly to see how quickly you think on your feet and how creative you might be. The person who sits there stumped for 5 minutes? They'll probably do that in a brainstorming meeting.

The person who answers the hot dog question with "just mustard" or "just ketchup" will probably be viewed as more traditional, simple, and less creative. That's not a bad thing depending on the position. Regardless I think it is better to be honest.

For the glass half empty or half full question? I like to say "neither, it is completely full." That always puzzles them lol. Then I say "well water isn't the only thing in there. There's air AND water in there, thus the two work together to make it completely full." I liken this to people. Two very different people working on a project work together to complete it.

For the hot dog question? I'd say "completely burnt with cream cheese and chili, on a whole wheat bun" because that is indeed how I eat them lol. This might indicate I'm not afraid to roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty, which is true lol.