with a fellow employee thats lazy.

Okay so I am security/bouncer in a popular bar and I like to work there. I have meet the managers on a occasion and I know who my bosses are. Suprisingly there are other employees that don't even know the guy standing next to them is there manager. But thats not my problem.

I need advice on this lazy employee and how to separate my reputation from his reputation. The problem:

For some unknown reason he is naturally gravitated to me and when ever he sees me he feels the need to come and talk for hours at a time or until I leave the area. I do my job to be best of my ability and try to find work if there is none. I am relatively new so I am trying to develop a good relationship with my managers by doing my job. But recently (as in today) I was posted to watch the back door and it is a very boring spot because nothing happens there. So he comes up and goes chatting away. Then my manager walks past every so often and just gives some glances our way. Now fours have pasted and he is still there talking away. Then he says he was posted in some other position but complains and says "I am not doing that" then more complaining about managers and how he deserves leadership. He ask where I am posted and i tell him here, as in where i am currently sitting. So he says well i guess this is where i am suppose to be and continues yakking away.:confused:

So my initial thought on how to solve this problem was to talk to the manager personally. I was thinking I could pull him to the side and just tell him I am hear to do my job-not just talk and lolly-gag on your dime. But that makes me feel like I am throwing the guy under the bus. Can someone give me some better advice on how to handle this situation. I know I cant save everybody but I cant let him pull me down with him. I dont really know how to solve this problem. Please help:(

Since you are new, you could ask for an informal review of how you are doing in your role. Ask for any specific suggestions on improvement. This will give the manager an opportunity to address it (if it's a bother). If the manager notices there's been too much talking with the other employee, you could clarify the situation.

Some managers don't care about socializing at work, as long as there are no problems and the bar is secure. The manager may be worrying about other issues: revenue, liquor license compliance, tax audits, supply orders, etc. And not all managers follow the philosophy that "if there's time to lean, there's time to clean."