Full time, part time, contract and temp

pink_sugar

This may seem like a silly question, but what is the biggest difference between a contract and a temp/internship type job? Can contract ever lead to permanent? I work at a small company where I will never go anywhere. I got an interview for a large well-known tech company that is a 6 month contract position. I am a tiny bit hesitant because I would be leaving a permanent position for contract. HOWEVER, the benefits would outweigh the cons because it would look fantastic on my resume and it's slightly better pay and possibly full-time, versus part time that I have now. It could also lead to better opportunities down the road. Can you collect unemployment benefits if you are unable to find other employment by the time the contract ends?

This may seem like a silly question, but what is the biggest difference between a contract and a temp/internship type job? Can contract ever lead to permanent? I work at a small company where I will never go anywhere. I got an interview for a large well-known tech company that is a 6 month contract position. I am a tiny bit hesitant because I would be leaving a permanent position for contract. HOWEVER, the benefits would outweigh the cons because it would look fantastic on my resume and it's slightly better pay and possibly full-time, versus part time that I have now. It could also lead to better opportunities down the road. Can you collect unemployment benefits if you are unable to find other employment by the time the contract ends?

Not a whole lot of difference in practical terms between a contract and an internship. However, the internship can sometimes lead to a full-time offer, and they are designed to give you a perspective of the entire business. The contract, on the other hand, is generally focused on a very limited area for which they need extra help for a brief period of time. For example, to complete a large project that is running late.

Personally, I recently left my permanent full-time role for a contract-to-hire position. This means that I will be a contractor for 6 months, and then I will be hired permanently. I lost a lot of benefits in the switch, but only until I get hired permanently. Of course, it is risky because if they aren't pleased with me, they could simply choose not to hire me, and I wold be back in the drawing board. It was worth the risk to me, though, because the new role is far more prestigious and great for my career.

Just be aware that many contracts don't lead to a full-time role. Generally, the recruiter you're dealing with will be able to tell you. Some employers want a trial period before they hire you full time. These roles are generally called "contract-to-perm" or "contract-to-hire". If this isn't stated, then assume it is just a 6 month role.

My advice is that so early in your career, ANY relevant work experience is good. Take that contract, leave your dead-end job, and never look back. It will be much easier for you to find a better position once this contract ends and you put the experience on your resume. Plus, you might get a valuable reference.

• Like 1
liquid_amber

i agree. did you get an actual offer for the contract position, or are you still waiting to find out? if they give you an offer, i say take it. even if it doesn't lead to a permanent position with that company, it will definitely look good on your resume and help you land a permanent position in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently in the same position. I am 1 month into a 6-month contract position, with the understanding that I would have a leg up when the "regular" position became posted, which was last week. It can be risky, but you need to have a frank discussion with the hiring personnel. Don't be afraid to ask them what happens after 6 months if you like them and they like you. Is there a permanency plan? Is a full-time position coming available? Any reasonable employer should understand that you need to have some semblance of security, and if they can't give you an answer you feel comfortable with, I would say stay away from it unless you have no choice.

• Like 1

Contract and temp positions are very similar. In my experience contract more often (not always) means a fixed end date whereas temp can mean an open end date or possible temp to hire (not always). I have been temping for a few years now and have had no problem collecting unemployment when a project ends.

If this contract position will give you more hours and more money than you're getting now and it will expand your network/look good on your resume then go for it. I've done that several times and never regretted it.

• Like 1