Sexual harassment in Workplace

I am currently working for a company for a year now, and since February, a co-worker of mine starts to bother me everyday. From following me around everywhere, eyeing me up and down, and constantly sending me personal e-mails during office hours. I am to a point that his actions totally stress me out. Everyday going to work is a drag and I feel more and more frustrated, and am going to have a nervous breakdown because I feel that I'm being watched everyday at work. I tried seeking help with my manager twice, first time he said he warned the guy and he should stop but he didn't. Second time I complaint and I got almost no response from my manager other than that he's "too busy".

I am feeling very desperate and other than quitting the job I really cannot think of anything else. The thing is, I can't believe there's no place i can call to complain to, or is there? I am currently located in BC, Canada, does anyone know of a place I can seek help or complain? there are tons of women being indirectly/directly sexually harrassed and yet nothing's being done. Is there any place I can call to at least file a complaint so that they'd check the company? so that would at least give the company a warning that they should take a closer look at problems like this? P.S., he has been doing the same thing to another girl who work here before yet they never fired him. (Also there are only two female workers here)

Please help, or any advices I can get. Thanks.

amyfrank2442

HI, Im 19 years old and I just graduated high school, I am a victum of sexul harrasment from a teacher. I kissed in his office and I didnt tell anyone untill like three days later! I was very scared. Now he is not teaching ne more and is doing service.

and I still cant get any sleep or peace! But there is something you could do go to the lawyers office theres lawyers there that will help and take over from there!

Hope you find help and get the peace that I wish I could have!

Good Luck!

Amy

I am not condoning sexual harrassment in the workplace but try to be careful about getting some one in trouble and having them lose their job. Even if you have to put it as sort of a joke with someone to show them where you stand. Let them know you feel uncomfortable with their behavior. Give them the benefit of the doubt that they are rational beings who don't want to do wrong. People are just people. Don't be intimidated to the point where you can't or won't stand up on your own two and you have to run to someone else to protect you. That path will hardly ever get you respect. I am on the side that says ok, women have been benefited by new opportunities but that also comes with responsibilities that they also have to accept.

HI Capitald, I've tried EVERYTHING to stop him. In another word, I believe he is not even mentally sane to behave such ways. I have told him DIRECTLY to stop bothering me, even try to ignore him when he speaks to me, or yell at him when he does something that bothers me. I have told him off many many times, even tried to get some guy to pretend to be my boyfriend at time to try to stop him. Yet, he seem to only stop for one day and the next day he proceed again! That's why I had no other options but to tell my manager, and he even warn him once but he didn't stop.

Futher, he had same case with another female co-worker in which he did the same thing to her but finally stop when she talked to the manager. I am not sure why he doesn't stop this time. That is why I am seeking help.

Ok, it appears like things are a bit more serious than I understood them from your post, and I no longer feel at liberty to offer any advice because I am not a lawyer, nor am I willing to take the risk to offer any counsel in regard to this. I hope you find the correct solution to your issue.

Sincerely, D.

• 2 weeks later...

No one should have to undergo what is happening to you. In the US, at least, there have been law suits that have established that if your supervisor was aware of the problem and did nothing to stop or alleviate it, then he/she is liable as well. Furthermore, there should no retaliation should you take action against this person for making your life miserable. Does your company not have a Human Resources Department? They will usually try to handle these complaints in house. But you should still be able to take this to a government agency should you not find the remedy you need at work. The work place is generally pretty good about handling these issues, though, because of the liability. I had a retail job just out of college where I endured some pretty blatant sexual harassment, and I was too young and stupid, I guess, to know that I didn't have to do through that. On the job I have now, everyone is required to take a pre-employment course that addresses this issue, and managers are required to study it at some length. It is not tolerated where I work, nor should it be anywhere. Especially to the degree that it is happening to you. Good luck and let me know how it goes.