Getting back into the job scene.

Basically I've taken the past two years off, and haven't worked.

How can I explain this to a potential employer? Should I even be?

I'm worried that I won't be considered for positions because of the

gap in my resume (it was mostly voluntary).

Your thoughts?

I just did exactly that. If you did any volunteer work, put it on your resume. I went to a temp agency, aced all the tests, and got placed right away. Now I'm working steadily. I've always found temp agencies to be really helpful in getting a foot in the door of companies; I've ended up with some really fun jobs because of them.

little_hummingbird

I can somewhat relate. I took about 6 months off of work when my sister died. The whole surroundings were very tragic. When I went back into the workplace, I explained that I had a very unexpected death in my immediate family. They didn't pry further but got the point. Maybe you can just tell them the truth? The other idea is to say you did a lot of consulting... which works for the tech sector, with no problems. I agree with the idea of just tell them you were doing volunteer work too.

I didn't mean to lie. I meant that if they are looking for references, your volunteer work can help with that.

thanks for the advice

i was worried about current references as well,

but can use my volunteer work for that, thanks

for that tip!

i think i'll check out temping 'cause i'm not sure

what i want to be doing work wise.

• 3 months later...

It's not as long as you think. Some people take a 20 year vacation from work! Mostly women who decide to stay home and be housewives, then when empty-nest syndrome kicks in, they go back.

Although you have your reasons, you can expect to def find a job, but don't count on a upper-management position. They will prob start you off at a mid-career level job (one or two steps above entry-level-ie college grad positions). Still, that isn't bad at all. A lot of tech advancements can occur in two years, but not too much has happened. Be confident, you'll find something you like!