Hi,people

If you were to start your career, would you start it with a tabacco company, even if it were a really big one?

The position seems fine, it's the industry that's giving me the chills. So... what do you think?

dudesomewhere

why does it give you the chills? Because it is an industry like any other?

Is it because it is an industry that has been defeated by the indecency of litigation that states that each individual is not responsible for his/her actions and that it is up to industry to make decisions for the common man? Ahh, TRUTH...the movement that says we should blame others instead of ourselves.

I'm no smoker and don't really mind smokers. Girls I date can smoke ;) . Smokers who do so around children I have problems with. People who blame companies for their own decisions I have the most problems with.

I never saw any tobacco advertising towards kids as I was growing up. Sure I saw some camel and marlboro ads in playboy :o . I saw kids smoking as I grew up. How come I never smoked? It's a damn decision each person makes. Ever remember those speakers who came in during middle school and high school and told you the effects of smoking on the lungs? I'm 31...how long ago would that have been? Hmm, wonder what those warning labels on the side of every cigarette package actually means?

The only reason why alcohol deosn't suffer the same fate now is that it's already gone through prohibition. But could you imagine all the millions in litigation those companies would have lost because they too would have been responsible for the average joe/jane?

ahh, unagi...salmon skin roll :D

• Author

Yeah,well, I've heard about how they calculate the sales per consumer. They takethe average age of him/her, let's say 25, multiply it with average number of packs a cigarets a day, (let's say one anf a half), multiply it with days in year.

And when it cames to calculating the average life hope of every consumer they take that number and substracte 15!!!! Then they multiply it with the above etc etc.

I don't mind the trials, I don't mind the trend. It kills! It is in fact free choice to die 10 years earlier. That's my issue.

On the other hand, I know I need to do some research on the industry before considering it. What do you guys think about the future of it? In France they've gone crazy with 5E a pack, no smoking in public places etc etc. I know in the US you have the "smoke police" :) .... Any input on how you see the outcome of the industry?

I have no ethical problem with tobacco companies, but if you are one of those people who thinks that McDonald's is the root cause of obesity or that paper companies are responsible for destroying the world's forests, then go and volunteer for a liberal party or something instead.

I do, however, respect your concern for the future of an industry in which you might be employed. My boyfriend works for British and American Tobacco and it is without a doubt the most amazing job he has ever had. There are people who would die to get their foot in the door because tobacco companies offer huge professional opportunities. They work hard and play hard - and if you are serious about making money, I could not recommend a better place to start work. Smoking in general might be on the decline, but the tobacco industry will not be wiped out in our lifetimes.

If you can learn to appreciate that smoking is the choice of an individual, and that business is not personal, go for it.

• Author

Thanks a lot for the input!

I know that this is one hell of a chance for me. My problem is that I shall give my best to making money of an industry that's not only polluting, but killing.

Not that there are too many companies fighting for me right now, haha! I simply want to see if I'm gonna be comfortable doing this. Business isn't personal, choosing to do business is!

I worked for an oil company for a few years, but became increasingly uncomfortable about it. I just didn't see me contributing to the planet by helping make money for shareholders. Now I'm in a government department where the main focus is environmental protection. I'm much happier - and the bonus is that the people are so much nicer :)

Oh. And I was making pots of money at the oil company - about double what I'm making now. And I'm still happier.

• Author

That's the feeling I'm talking about. I've still got some time to figure what if I've got the stomach for it! Thanks, moi!

Originally posted by CurlyIam

Hi,people

If you were to start your career, would you start it with a tabacco company, even if it were a really big one?

The position seems fine, it's the industry that's giving me the chills. So... what do you think?

I would love to work at a tobacco company. I would love to KNOW someone who works at one, so I can get free tobacco products and such! But pretty much, tobacco companies appear to be very good starting spots for corporate jobs. You may find that, after a while, you will further your career in good ways.

I mean, if you can get over selling a product that kills people it wouldn't be so bad. Just think though: It's a job. I, personally, smoke on occasion but think that tobacco does cause too many problems. I still wouldn't mind having a great job at a tobacco company however.

So indeed, I would start with a tobacco company for a career.